Discussion: Racism - Part 4

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Thread Manager, Jul 8, 2018.

1. The Slang

The Slang Well-Known Member

I don't need to specify homicide. Violence includes homicide. Think for a moment. Even if violent assaults were even (which they aren't), incidents of homicide are included under the umbrella of violence, meaning that black on white violence is still more than double the amount of the opposite. Get it?

Done. The answer is informed.

Now ask yourself the same thing. You're the one making claims (and accusations of racism) based on ignorance, but you lack the self awareness to see it.

2. Elektra1

Elektra1 Ski bum

You're the one who doesn't get it. Homicide, rape, assault, they're not the same thing. At all. And again, 61% of homicides are unsolved, meaning the race aspect can't be determined. That means the numbers only come from 39% of the gathered data. And AGAIN, Hispanics are lumped in with blacks and whites, skewing the numbers even more.

You can't just say, "whelp, I guess black people are just violent" without providing specific numbers and even more important: context. And again, your stats are for arrests. How many effing times do I have to say it. Would you like to see the evidence that black people are more likely to get arrested and serve harsher prison sentences than their white counterparts?

Actually, no. I'm not going to even bother. I would ask you if you think that black violence is a product of circumstance or DNA, but I think I know the answer. And that tells me all I need to know about you.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  3. The Slang

The Slang Well-Known Member

I can lump them all together under violence because they are violence. Who do you think you're kidding with this dishonest shell game?

Of course you aren't, because you're a hypocrite. You haven't provided any hard data for anything you've said, you just link to puff pieces from internet tabloids and talk about all the 'scholarly articles' you've read. As for what you know about me, why should I expect anything more than assumptions from you.

[YT]dc3p9G47VJ4[/YT]

4. Elektra1

Elektra1 Ski bum

You never went to university hey? Scholarly articles are data because they provide analysis and conclusions based on...data! Any time we would write essays in school, we had to cite our sources for an argument. Those sources tended to be scholarly articles as well as stat sheets. But, as one learns in social research methods, one needs to be wary of all statistics that they read. Knowing the methodology of how the stats are compiled is the first step to confirming if they're even valid.

Like I said before, I think you like making assumptions about people and then you scramble to find the evidence afterwards. I keep bringing up that the FBI stats are for arrests and how that's problematic in and of itself and you keep ignoring that or refusing to debate further. Instead you link to a video that proves nothing.

You didn't answer my question from before, but I think I already have the answer.

5. Doug_Moore

Doug_Moore Well-Known Member

Why isn't Joe Bernstein banned on Twitter yet?

6. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

So, is that where we are now? Digging up old tweets?

7. ouroboros

ouroboros Well-Known Member

Same reason Sarah Jeong still has a job, I would assume.

8. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

9. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Eating while black
    [YT]/fbPzsREhrUA[/YT]

10. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Cops need to start cracking down more forcefully on the people making all these BS phone calls and pulling cops away from actual situations.

11. Doug_Moore

Lying Lesleigh: Another racist, white woman in Oakland, California calling the police on minorities.

Tyrone McAllister: Racist, black man and accomplice attacked 71 year old Indian man in Manteca, California.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  12. Holiday

Holiday Celebrate

I didn't know this when that story first broke, but the person who called police thought it was a man at the women's college late at night and referred to the girl as "he" during the call without mentioning race.

13. Doug_Moore

14. moviedoors

moviedoors Well-Known Member

15. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

Don't think anyone has ever said that it was dead. A lot of people mistakenly thought it wasn't this bad though.

And what the hell Missouri?

16. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

There are people that have said that. However it's impossible to take those people seriously. *cough*Armstrong Williams*cough*, *cough*ex-Sheriff Clarke*cough*

17. Holiday

Holiday Celebrate

18. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

19. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

20. Teelie

There are people who genuinely claim that even though he was sarcastic. Although I don't think anyone here has.

21. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

22. Teelie

I have noticed apologies only come out after there is a big media report on it that embarasses them and they think saying "sorry I said some incredibly racist and awful things about you that I didn't mean" is somehow enough. Maybe not say them in the first place if you didn't really mean them?

23. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Well-Known Member

Detroit has a "unique" political culture, which has been informed to no small degree by the Jim Crow history of the city (too lengthy to get into here), as well as major incidents like racial riots during the city's history (in particular 1943 and especially 1967, the aftermath of the latter saw the white population of the city hemorrhage exponentially..) fast forward to political hostility from suburban/rural political officials who highly resented Detroit being "taken over" by blacks (an ongoing sentiment), to the economic deterioration from manufacturing jobs shrinkage over time, to the 2008-09 car company bankruptcies, to the 2013 municipal bankruptcy, which further pushed the city's poorer populations to a desperate state..

.. this is also the city where Vincent Chin was murdered by two laid-off White autoworkers, circa 1981.. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/who-vincent-chin-history-relevance-1982-killing-n771291

Particularly at the Baby Boomer level, you have folks who have held on to antiquated notions of who is a decent candidate (or, conversely, who is "obviously" a bad candidate), and get behind folks who are quite a bit "off" in their worldview. For Detroit in particular, as long as you talk the right "takeover" rhetoric, you'll get people to pay attention to you, at least for a stretch. Combine that with pastoral leadership endorsements, and often times its a formula for local success.

Black politics need to consistently rise above the silliness and the low-hanging-fruit catcalls. Taking lessons from the Tea Party is not a good look. Yes, Detroit has outcroppings of gentrification. It’s a legitimate topic. But not everybody is a CIA plant.

Much like Detroit’s Rashida Tlaib (who is Palestinian), Ms. Chang is a non-black person who has been willing to engage with urban, minority-majority communities and advocate for better policies that affect the vulnerable. Doesn’t mean that people have to vote for her, if they feel their candidate has better ideas. But it should also mean that people learn how to be discerning and look past surface-level aspects of political candidates.

Unfortunately, I predict that some Hoteps and Hotep-adjacent folks are prone to go in on some “what about these incidents where [Asian shopkeeper attacks or disrespects black customers]”, and since Ms. Chang is of Chinese ethnicity, “she’s probably down with that— keep drinking the kool-aid..”. Sigh... Detroit politics, gotta love it.. or, at least live with it...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  24. Erzengel

Erzengel |-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Personally, even as someone who's Asian, I wouldn't vote for someone just because they were Asian. Not even taking into account, that I'm not even Chinese but the whole, voting for someone based solely on ethnicity, gender, etc., never made sense to me over the past decade. But the hypocrisy of someone saying supporting your own kind and probably in a different breath denounce white supremacists and racism is ridiculous.

25. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Custom User Title

Nice to see that the Party of Lincoln™ is once again mad because another crappy Confederate statue has been taken down. Makes sense(?).