Discussion: Racism - Part 4

erected in 1993

Nice of them to remove it now. But what in the fork is going on there? Erected in 1993? That is nearly 130 years after the civil war ended and the South lost. Who the bad place though that was a good idea? It'd be like if Germany decided to in 2073 it would be a good idea to erect a monument to the Nazis.

I do know this is Georgia and no doubt the same people who thought this was a good idea would cheer that on that but maybe hide your outright secessionist, racist, outdated and misaligned ideology a little bit better? If you want to pretend the antebellum South was somehow not a disgraceful and ugly party of U.S. history then keep it to yourself.

Well one of my fears is Naziism will make a stronger comeback in Europe in a way that hasn’t been seen since that time as Europe becomes less white. The United States is just ahead of them in time because the population is already ~60% white. These are domestic and national security challenges that must be prepared for and tackled now.

Well one of my fears is Naziism will make a stronger comeback in Europe in a way that hasn’t been seen since that time as Europe becomes less white. The United States is just ahead of them in time because the population is already ~60% white. These are domestic and national security challenges that must be prepared for and tackled now.

The fact that labor is so poorly organized in the US; the fact that union membership is so low makes the US much more prone to authoritarianism. It makes it that much harder to push back against it in an organized fashion. It's also devastating the middle class.

Not like history does not repeat itself. They can relive all the "great" times in human history and learn nothing from it.

Europe as a whole really doesn't have a huge non Caucasian population. Right wing hate groups, nationalist xenophobes and populist politicians just love to fear monger about foreigners or minorities. They exploit people's insecurity for their own purposes.

White people really aren't going to be a minority in Europe anytime soon.

A lot of Hispanic people are white. It's bizarre that they make Spaniards like actor Antonio banderas tick a box that says he is a person of colour in the U.S . The criteria of whiteness is like a hangover from the white Anglo Saxon protestant dominated era in which Europeans from (mostly) Catholic countries were deemed a lower tier or separate type of whiteness.

While there is a lot of propoganda out there radicalising people, most of Europe's younger population is liberal. A lot of young folks are out on the street protesting authoritarian stuff in places like Poland, Hungary and turkey. It's mostly scared of change older generations that help get these authoritarians into power.

Last edited:
Europe as a whole really doesn't have a huge non Caucasian population. Right wing hate groups, nationalist xenophobes and populist politicians just love to fear monger about foreigners or minorities. They exploit people's insecurity for their own purposes.

A lot of Hispanic people are white. It's bizarre that they make Spaniards like actor Antonio banderas tick a box that says he is a person of colour in the U.S . The criteria of whiteness is like a hangover from the white Anglo Saxon protestant dominated era in which Europeans from (mostly) Catholic countries were deemed a lower tier or separate type of whiteness.

While there is a lot of propoganda out there radicalising people, most of Europe's younger population is liberal. A lot of young folks are out on the street protesting authoritarian stuff in places like Poland, Hungary and turkey. It's mostly scared of change older generations that help get these authoritarians into power.

I would say heightened vigilance is still the word of the day. From the leadership in Poland and Hungary to the triumph of Brexit it is clear the reactionary elements that lead to regimes like the German Nazi Party assuming power are still forces in European society generally speaking.

Immigration as a way to scare people was for sure a big part in both Trump's 2016 win as much as Brexit.

No one thought after the fall of Eastern European Communism that ethnic cleansing and death camps would come back either but the break up of Yugoslavia proved that to be naive.

I have a female friend in Sweden.

Nice woman. Lovely personality, kind, funny and very empathetic who pretty much towed the general social and policy consensus of Liberal/Left leaning Europe when she lived in the U.S.

She was very impacted by 9/11, the economic down turn immediately after as well as the building she lived in not far from ground zero getting damaged and forcing her to apartment hop for a few years. She was also getting older and had to think about things like healthcare which at the time was out of her reach financially in America. She moved back to Stockholm ironically right before Obama was elected but I still keep in touch and about once a year since then she would come back to visit NYC because she loves it and the USA.

She was and is ardently anti-Trump and never had a kind word about him. At the same time in corresponding with her the last 5-6 years creeping into our conversations was always some problematic view on immigrants, legal or otherwise in Europe. You try not to be too confrontational with friends you are on good terms with so I let a lot slide and kept my mouth shut. I didn't want to say she was sounding a lot like Trump and his supporters here in the States.

Then Covid hit and... I would say she at the start was for sure imbibing some really dumb and egregiously vapid reactionary talking points and I had to tell her that on Covid and immigrants she sounded like she was falling victim to some propaganda.

She was and is a true Nordic "Free Spirit" type with a big heart. She literally works for a homeless outreach service in Stockhom and even published Photo book about her experience doing that.

But she got caught in the talking points and reactionary propaganda of Sweden's pretty active racist and reactionary forces.

I mean I don't think European countries have the same level of social issues as here and they have many that aren't analogous to America at all really so I think there is less fertile soil for the Authoritarian impulse to take root as deeply as it seems to be in the U.S. but there are signs there are plenty in Europe that can be swayed by the Reactionary arguments.

Yep. In the late 1800's, Italians were considered non-white too. And the Irish were considered a low class white barely above other "undesirable" ethnicities. Even now there are people who see other Europeans as inferior even though they are all mostly the same looking in every other regard.

There are Latinos with mostly European blood, some with mostly African blood and others with mostly indigenous blood. So it's not really accurate to automatically assume they're European. Often they're a mix.

But anyone from Italy or Spain genetically is obviously European.

Are there enough racists in the world today to make up a serious widespread problem? Such as a return to Naziism, or bringing back Jim Crow? Is there a strong push over in Europe right now? I know the US has some problems but Jim Crow isn't exactly back on the table quite yet.

Are there enough racists in the world today to make up a serious widespread problem? Such as a return to Naziism, or bringing back Jim Crow? Is there a strong push over in Europe right now? I know the US has some problems but Jim Crow isn't exactly back on the table quite yet.

This is a disingenuous argument to make and I suspect you are making it for poorly thought out reasons AT BEST.

Soft selling the impact of systemic racism, racist ideologies and actions and policies that are DESIGNED to hurt or disenfranchise certain groups alongside a litany of excuses and frankly protection from consequences or rightful judgement for another by saying "But it's not like anyone is being marched to gas chambers or lynched in the streets with impunity" is the weakest of weak tea and so many brewing it up for public consumption or seriously entertaining that argument are giant factors in what has unfolded in America and the world for a half decade now.

We believe people when they show us who they are through words and actions.

"There are no LITERAL Nazis blitzing our city streets so really this is all overblown."

If it looks like a duck and has webbed feet and feathers and a bill like a duck... It might be a goose.

Not the same, but really forking close.

And what does a goose do?

It goose steps.

This is a disingenuous argument to make and I suspect you are making it for poorly thought out reasons AT BEST.

Soft selling the impact of systemic racism, racist ideologies and actions and policies that are DESIGNED to hurt or disenfranchise certain groups alongside a litany of excuses and frankly protection from consequences or rightful judgement for another by saying "But it's not like anyone is being marched to gas chambers or lynched in the streets with impunity" is the weakest of weak tea and so many brewing it up for public consumption or seriously entertaining that argument are giant factors in what has unfolded in America and the world for a half decade now.

We believe people when they show us who they are through words and actions.

"There are no LITERAL Nazis blitzing our city streets so really this is all overblown."

If it looks like a duck and has webbed feet and feathers and a bill like a duck... It might be a goose.

Not the same, but really ****ing close.

And what does a goose do?

It goose steps.
You put a lot of words in mouths, don't you?

Short answer: Yes, there are enough racists in the world today to make up a serious widespread problem.

Short answer: Yes, there are enough racists in the world today to make up a serious widespread problem.

There were enough to storm the capitol.

The U.S. Army has an active duty force, which includes everything, support, maintenance, engineering and yes combat troops and pilots/combat vehicle operators of a little under half a million.

I can safely say the number of White Nationalists whom we could identify by words and deeds in America is larger than that by several magnitudes.

I actually agree, but maybe not inasfar as you do. Are we looking at a future of Jim Crow? Possibly but I don't think so, at least we're not trending in that direction. I do think were living in a strange time where a lot of people constantly see skin color and race in everything but somehow don't think they are being racist when they do that. Even though by literal definition that's racist as bad place.

Bringing back Jim Crow is unnecessary because white supremacy ideology never really went away.

The minority vote is still trying to be suppressed. The most recent election results has seen an even greater push to try to stop black voters in some areas. Police are still used as a black people removal service by bigots which thanks to cellphones the wider world gets to now see first hand what has been happening to black people. Black women still get awful medical care in areas due to racist medical staff. Almost every week we see a story in the news about some black person going about their daily life being harassed, intimated, assaulted, dehumanized or challenged.

The fact is that there are still plenty of people out there that still do not fundamentally believe black and other minority groups are their equals. They don't believe they have equal rights as citizens and will do anything they can to oppress them.

Racism doesn't always need to be as in your face as a bunch of people marching wearing brown shirts or white robes. Racism has and will continue to be done by the 'average man or woman' in the world.

In France Marine Le Pen got way too close to the presidency for comfort.

Jim Crow changed his name, his tactics, he dresses better and even got a little facelift but he's still there doing his best to surpress people. The idea that does not exist anymore and that racists will just disappear is a nice fantasy but it won't be happening anytime soon.

That future is sadly far, far away from happening at this point. We have a major political party and far too many politicians all too happy to throw anyone who does not agree with them down a well and forget about them. We just had the most racist President in over a century in office until last month.

Jim Crow and segregation laws are too quaint for what some of these people have in mind.

So much of this country is uncaring towards Latin American refugees. They would watch a screaming child get ripped from their mother who gets sent back to a gang ridden nightmare where she'll be promptly executed.

Some of this malice is cynical misanthropy but more often than not it's casual and blatant racism.

Does this ill will extend to blacks? Absolutely and these uncaring people would have no problem with a white ethnostate if extremist leaders made such a push.

Would that entail genocide, segregation or mass deportations to Africa? It just depends on which racist you ask.

Either way I'd say 25 percent of the U.S. population would go along with such a dystopian future which is far too high for my taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"