Discussion: Racism - Part 4

The companies don't want to hear it, but the easiest way to really water down a lot of the abuse that crosses lines on social media platforms is to force users to activate their accounts with a valid I.D. &/or payment information otherwise they cannot use the platform, removing their anonymity would be a massive win as it would force a large percentage of social media users to think twice before acting like a piece of ****.

I'd like to know the conviction rate for when you are caught, I'm not sure what it's like in the States, but I see it in the papers every other day about people being arrested for their actions on social media, not all of which is racism some of it's for sending death threats, hoaxes & other forms of abuse. I'd like to think that Irish teenager that seemingly got a feeble slap on the wrists for what he sent to Ian Wright was an anomaly.

I was thinking about it a few weeks ago after I'd read about Mane receiving racial abuse online about how it seems like there has been a massive uptick in not only racial abuse but all forms of abuse recently (in the footballing world in particular).. like it has become the latest cool thing to do.

Then I saw this article yesterday:

Heung-Min Son: Manchester United ban six fans for alleged social media abuse of Tottenham forward

The main part I'd highlight is the sub-headline:
Manchester United analysis of social media abuse finds 350 per cent increase in number of incidents since September 2019; 86 per cent of these posts were racist, while 8 per cent were homophobic or transphobic; Chelsea issue 10-year ban to individual for posting antisemitic messages online

Ridiculous, I'd love to know what has sparked such a violent rise in incidents.

The Irish judge giving his abuser a slap on the wrist 'because he comes from a good family' is laughable. If you raised a kid that thinks a good time is racially abusing strangers then you failed as a parent.

I know people from terrible backgrounds who wouldn't behave like these bigots.

It was a ridiculous decision from the judge to let the kid essentially get away with it. From that interview it seems Ian Wright didn't want him locked away in prison or juvenile detention.. but come on at least give him some community service & some sort of racial sensitivity course to attend.. especially considering he didn't get a criminal conviction/record.

The companies don't want to hear it, but the easiest way to really water down a lot of the abuse that crosses lines on social media platforms is to force users to activate their accounts with a valid I.D. &/or payment information otherwise they cannot use the platform, removing their anonymity would be a massive win as it would force a large percentage of social media users to think twice before acting like a piece of ****.

I'd like to know the conviction rate for when you are caught, I'm not sure what it's like in the States, but I see it in the papers every other day about people being arrested for their actions on social media, not all of which is racism some of it's for sending death threats, hoaxes & other forms of abuse. I'd like to think that Irish teenager that seemingly got a feeble slap on the wrists for what he sent to Ian Wright was an anomaly.

I was thinking about it a few weeks ago after I'd read about Mane receiving racial abuse online about how it seems like there has been a massive uptick in not only racial abuse but all forms of abuse recently (in the footballing world in particular).. like it has become the latest cool thing to do.

Then I saw this article yesterday:

Heung-Min Son: Manchester United ban six fans for alleged social media abuse of Tottenham forward

The main part I'd highlight is the sub-headline:

Ridiculous, I'd love to know what has sparked such a violent rise in incidents.
YouTube tried that. It failed miserably. People who are awful will continue to be awful. Facebook alone proves this.

YouTube tried that. It failed miserably. People who are awful will continue to be awful. Facebook alone proves this.

They haven't, at least not fully yet anyway. As it stands I can use the platform, comment whatever I want & set my name to be Clark Kent if I so choose. Youtube's ID verification system is only forced on users that want to watch age restricted content, you provide your ID to prove your age & that's where it ends.

It needs to go much further & there needs to be a united front from all the companies as in you can't use their platform's at all unless you can provide information that shows & proves exactly who is registering & who is using the account.

Even assuming that is true that kind of information would be irresistable for hacking and identity theft.

There is a lot to unpack there...

There is a lot to unpack there...

I wasn't around when Hitler was in power so maybe he was actually nice to Jewish people and other ethic minorities. :whatever:

I mean, who wants to rely on historians?

It is fascinating for her to continually cite biblical slavery, without realizing the difference between the slavery of those days and chattel slavery used in america.
Which is the inevitable conclusion of casually brushing off Biblical passages regarding slavery without ever actually engaging in the historical context of the cultures being addressed. The refusal of the American church to actually educate themselves on the background of their sacred text and a broader refusal to critically engage with it at all is the root of so many cultural problems here.

She's not wrong that some slaves were treated relatively better than others, but if you own a slave, you are not treating that person well.
Some slaves may of been treated better but they were still slaves. They still had no rights, no freedom, their children were still born into slavery and could be sold off to another plantation. They were still not allowed to be educated and were not paid for their labor.

Also multiple genetic studies have shown many African Americans having European ancestry pre-civil war which means there was a lot of raping of female slaves going on. I'm sure many of these descendants of slave owners can't deal with the fact their ancestors were also probably rapists.

They can't completely villify slavery, otherwise they couldn't deify the founding fathers.

Saying some slaves were treated better is like saying some concentration camp prisoners were treated better.

Yeah some concentration camp prisoners were better fed and spared but they had to help the concentration camp run smoothly.

Basically like slaves who made their "masters" happy at the expense of other slaves you had to sell your soul for your very survival. Any perks came with the complete loss of any independence or autonomy.

It's like a pimp saying some of his women get to drink fine wine and ride fance cars. At what cost?

I'm sure if you asked any Republican if they want to be a slave they won't say yes "under the condition they are treated well". They would scoff at the notion because they would lose any and all freedom.

They say history is written by the victors.

History has been whitewashed and revised since forever since records began.

Obviously they don't want to teach kids the historical facts of slavery and systematic racism because then they might rebel against that system. The fact so many white people have been getting woken up to how police treat black people the last few years already has them nervous.

They say history is written by the victors.

History has been whitewashed and revised since forever since records began.

Obviously they don't want to teach kids the historical facts of slavery and systematic racism because then they might rebel against that system. The fact so many white people have been getting woken up to how police treat black people the last few years already has them nervous.
bCrYZFv.jpg

The Atlanta shooter might be getting the death penalty, hopefully.

It's these situations that make me pro-death penalty.

Last edited:
Only 16, made a very poor choice at 12, life is not ruined but certainly negatively impacted by it. I don't buy the claim entirely but he is still a kid who has learned some harsh reality about appearances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"