Discussion: Racism - Part 4

Shocking no one, Joe Rogan uses the n-word.

I've been to Brookhaven before. It was about 25 years ago and yet this still does not surprise me. It's home to "good ol' boys" and the like.

Awkwafina's blaacent issue has popped up again recently with her kind of 'not' apology/explanation.

I think the issue people have with awkwafina is that they don't believe the accent is genuine and that she predominantly uses it for comedic effect. Some African Americans are going to be sensitive about that given the long history or ministerial shows and other such thing that often took elements of black culture to mock them for racist entertainment.

I'm not a expert on awkwafina but I don't think I've seen her interact with many African Americans in projects she has some creative control over such as her comedy rap videos or her TV show. I have not heard or seen any African Americans or Asian America's who know her coming out in support either. Also Forrest Hills African American population is pretty small, far smaller than the Asian American or White American population so it's doubtful they had a big enough influence for awkwafina to develop a African American vernacular.

Multiculturalist accents and Code switching are a real thing but with awkwafina it does feel a bit suspicious. Korean American comedic actress Mary Sohn sometimes speaks in a blaacent but it feels way more genuine since she really grew up a Illinois town with a black community influence.

Rapper and actor Riz Ahmed has talked about his background and his code switching which is 100% real given his upbringing and social circles he was mixing with.

Last edited:
i like her as an actress but her ‘comedy’ rap career was cringe and terrible at best. She’s not doing herself any favors with her non-apology during Black History Month.

A smarter, better person would’ve disowned their crappy music career to keep making movies.

Last edited:
Sports Illustrated's The Spun - NFL World Reacts To The Eminem Halftime Show Controversy

FLhRe0dXoAoC2Dg

According to an NFL spokesman, the league did not tell Eminem he was unable to kneel during the national anthem.

There was concern and allegations they wouldn't let anybody do that but apparently it was misplaced.

Colin Kaepernick - Wikipedia

Republicans don’t even want to see black people on their TV.

Last edited:
More Asian racism is not as bad as other racism.

'All Asians need to die' text revealed over a year after it was sent leads to Occidental College backlash

The news has since sparked complaints over what critics perceived as a lack of timely and sufficient response to the incident. In a campus-wide email sent Feb. 3, Occidental College President Harry J. Elam Jr. reportedly condemned the texts but explained that a state law protects students’ freedom of speech at private schools.

The President is a POC but while I do admit my own biasness, I feel more heads would have rolled if was other minority groups.

Also the Vice President for Equity & Justice and Associate Professor of Physics David Bradley who is Latino and part of the LGBTIA community, also said,
While inconsistent with the College’s values, the speech in these text messages does not fall within the definition of unlawful harassment or discrimination under applicable law or Oxy's Discrimination, Harassment and Retaliation policy. And, as offensive as these messages are, they qualify as protected speech under College policy and state law.

There's no hope for this deeply white supremacist country.

I didn't know prosecutors were only asking for 7 years but still 2 years and probably not event that isn't enough.

2 years is something. It's not much more than the nothing I was expecting though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"