Discussion: Racism - Part 4

Replacement Theory has been around a long time but it gained steam under MAGA support and distraction from their failures and crimes.

A decade, no. It hasn't become an issue till the past couple years, when the Fox News racists took it up.

I could have sworn they were peddling it back during Obama's presidency too.

In my circles growing up it wasn’t uncommon to hear versions of it even before Obama’s first term.

It’s been in the air for a long time, but the past decade or so is when it became entirely mainstream. I think Trump pushing the birther stuff signaled the beginning of that sort of talk bubbling up, and Fox has amped it up in the past couple years.

Harper's - The "Great Replacement Theory" Was Never "Fringe"

The racist ideology that white Americans are being replaced by immigrants—and the deadly violence that idea has led to—was home-grown in the United States and continues to be fueled by some of the most powerful figures today.

On rereading The Great Gatsby earlier this year, I came upon a passage that I had not noticed, or understood, when I first encountered this F. Scott Fitzgerald classic many years ago. In it, Tom Buchanan—an old-money socialite and notorious bully married to Nick Carraway's cousin Daisy—"violently" expresses his pessimism for the future. "If we don't look out," the white race is at risk of being "utterly submerged," he says....

Much of the early news coverage of the shooting described these views as "fringe"—aberrations that have crept out of the darkest corners of the Internet into the mainstream in recent years. But, as the Gatsby reference demonstrates, they are neither new, nor fringe. They are not the beliefs of a one-off "lone wolf." They are also not foreign ideas that have seeped into the American consciousness. These beliefs are part of a distinctly home-grown ideology, one that throughout the history of the United States has been promoted by some of the most powerful bureaucrats, senators, presidents, and journalists. It has, for much of this history, fueled a coordinated movement in pursuit of global white supremacy, churned out an unending cycle of violence, and shaped lasting policy.

This "Great Replacement Theory" was particularly in vogue when The Great Gatsby was written. The fact that Buchanan attributes it to a book called The Rise of the Colored Empires by "this man Goddard" is no accident of imagination. Some scholars guess that "Goddard" is a portmanteau clubbing together the last names of two extremely influential thinkers in the early-20th century: Madison Grant and Theodore Lothrop Stoddard.

Grant was born into a blue-blooded New York family. As a youth, he spent his time off from private school either at his family's estate in Long Island or traveling the world. As an adult, he graduated from Yale University and obtained a law degree from Columbia University. He wore many hats. Apart from running his own law practice in Manhattan, he was an anthropologist and trustee of the American Museum of Natural History, a zoologist who served as chairman of the New York Zoological Society, and an environmentalist who apparently helped think up the concept of national parks. He was, of course, also a racist and eugenicist. In 1916, he authored The Passing of the Great Race, in which he claimed the superiority of the "Nordic" race and painted immigrants and Jewish people as "inferior" "social discards" overrunning his city....

If you ever saw Scorsese's Gangs of New York (and I assume the book on which it was based), whites used to panic about 'other' whites being added to the country.

See also: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party - - - - - Part 20

Women was strangled on the bus by a WS and nobody did anything.

Gaetz and Greene really trying to bring back the welfare queen.

Gaetz and Greene really trying to bring back the welfare queen.
The majority of welfare recipients have always been white people which always made the black welfare queen myth really dumb.

Ronald Regan's anti-poor rhetoric about Welfare queen's was pure racism. The same old scapegoat a minority group divisive strategy. Blame all societies problems on a subsection of the population (while conveniently ignoring the issues that plight those subsections of the population) and that will make everyone else feel better about themselves because they are higher of the societal totem pole than that maligned group.

The majority of welfare recipients have always been white people which always made the black welfare queen myth really dumb.

Ronald Regan's anti-poor rhetoric about Welfare queen's was pure racism. The same old scapegoat a minority group divisive strategy. Blame all societies problems on a subsection of the population (while conveniently ignoring the issues that plight those subsections of the population) and that will make everyone else feel better about themselves because they are higher of the societal totem pole than that maligned group.

I'll go further and say most people on welfare are either elderly, children, the disabled or the working poor not a bunch of able bodied couch potatoes. But that doesn't fit the right wing narrative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"