Discussion: Racism - Part 4

Yup, this is totally not gonna go pear shaped...

An Alabama megachurch will form its own police force after passage of controversial law - CNNPolitics

Also, yadda, yadda, sharia law.
What could possibly go wrong?

giphy.gif

The video of this police chief basically blaming the community for her **** cops is awful.

Then you see her record and the fact that she has a lot of openingly racist officers under her command and this all suddenly seems so clear.

Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

What is amazing is how two months earlier, it was pretty clear nothing was going to change.

How is she still in charge exactly?

Last edited:
The police... policing themselves is never a good idea. They are always going to find themselves innocent.

Following Proctor and Gambles 'The Talk' ad they have followed up with 'The Look' which illustrates unconscious bias in the everyday lives of black men

Last edited:
Why do people who are racist not own the fact that they are racist? If you call them out on it when they are saying things that are clearly racist and they know it, they will take offence at such a suggestion instead of saying "yes, I am racist".

Would White Supremacists, for example, say "no I am not racist"? Or do they freely admit they are? Obviously they're an extreme example. But other groups or individuals sometimes refuse to acknowledge their racism.

It seems back in the old days, people who were racist wouldn't care if you thought them racist and might've replied "yeah I am, so what?" But now in this more PC age, it's as if people want to have their cake and eat it: to say or do what they like but still be seen as the good guy.

[Shyamalan] It's a twist! [/Shyamalan]

A Detroit festival charged white people $20 and black people $10, then they got hit with backlash

An Afrofuturist group says it reversed its decision to charge white people more for tickets to its Detroit festival than black and brown people because they received threats, an artist dropped out and a ticketing website threatened to unpublish their event.

The Eventbrite page for "AfroFuture Fest," hosted by Afrofuture Youth, advertised an "Early Bird POC Ticket" for $10 -- with POC meaning "people of color" -- and an "Early Bird NONPOC Ticket" for $20. The group defined "NONPOC" as white people.

News of the group's charging practices hit social media last week when rapper Tiny Jag said she was unknowingly added to the August event " but agreed to support and perform. Once the rapper caught wind of the prices, she said she was "triggered."

"A non-POC friend of mine brought to my attention that AfroFuture is requiring non-people-of-color to pay twice the amount to attend the festival as POC," she tweeted on July 2. "This does not reflect the views of myself or the Tiny Jag team. I will not be playing this show. I apologize for anyone who may have been triggered or offended."

sorry ily guys pic.twitter.com/MfhuQeEX0U

— TINY JAG (@tinyjaguar) July 2, 2019

Eventbrite said in a statement to CNN they don't "permit events that require attendees to pay different prices based on their protected characteristics such as race or ethnicity."

"In this case, we have notified the creator of the event about this violation and requested that they alter their event accordingly," their statement read. "We have offered them the opportunity to do this on their own accord; should they not wish to comply we will unpublish the event completely from our site."

The group says its reasoning for doubling ticket prices for white people was because white people have the privilege to attend festivals in "POC populated cities." In other words, the group says, white people can afford tickets to any event in any city, while black and brown people cannot.

"This cycle disproportionately displaces black and brown people from enjoying entertainment in their own communities," the group said on Eventbrite.

Afrofuture Youth's website says they are a youth program that looks to uplift black children "through the lens of Afrofuturism," which is a philosophy looking at the intersection of African culture and technology.

After all the backlash, the group tweeted Sunday night that they had reversed their decision on ticketing prices because they "received threats from white supremacists" and children were "subjected to seeing racist comments" on social media.

The ticketing formula they came up with included a $20 general admission fee and a "suggested donation for nonPOC."

For the safety of our community, family, elders who received threats from white supremacists,& youth who were subjected to seeing racist comments on our IG pg,Afrofuture Fest has changed our ticketing model to $20 General Admission & suggested donation for nonPOC on @eventbrite pic.twitter.com/6wQXEjRKtt

— Afrofuture Youth (@AFYDet) July 7, 2019

"Events often designed for marginalized Black and Brown communities can be easily co-opted by those with cultural, monetary, and class privileges," Afrofuture Youth wrote in its explanation on Eventbrite. The group added that they're promoting "equity over equality" for black youth.

"Non-POC individuals are encouraged to provide additional donations as acknowledgment of this historical inequity," the group said.

CNN has reached out to Afrofuture Youth and Tiny Jag for comment, but has not heard back.
CNN

When walking to work in the loop sometimes I'll see some black dude ask a white person for spare change or money then just totally ignore me. Not that you were getting anything but I'm a little insulted you think the white dude has money to burn and I don't. :argh:

"Non-POC individuals are encouraged to provide additional donations as acknowledgment of this historical inequity," the group said.

Oh please. Because I'm white, you're gonna expect me to pay twice as much as someone else to attend the same event "to acknowledge historical inequity"?

Yea, lemme get right on that as soon as I fix my Bull**** Detector, because I think it just detected such a high reading it's broke right now.

I'd also point out how hilariously racist and patronizing this is on the part of the group itself, "here, have a pity discount because we assume POC are poor". :funny:

Last edited:
The group says its reasoning for doubling ticket prices for white people was because white people have the privilege to attend festivals in "POC populated cities." In other words, the group says, white people can afford tickets to any event in any city, while black and brown people cannot.

As I white person I can tell you this is some bull**** I couldn't afford a ticket to Tomorrowland:funny:

As I white person I can tell you this is some bull**** I couldn't afford a ticket to Tomorrowland:funny:

That reasoning is hilariously racist in both directions.

Don't think they're helping their own PR with this sort of stuff. The whole feigning ignorance "we didn't know we did anything wrong" I feel isn't gonna fly with a lot of people.

Okay... This was done as a pure PR stunt folks. It's got like zero impact on society and is not even say, the spearhead of some trend.

They did something controversial to sell more tickets by getting the fest in more headlines. Mission accomplished.

But I can tell by the types that keep harping about this online the real reason they keep flogging it. Ironically doing the cynical bidding of the originators of this stupidity.

I have to admit something: I did stage a concert one time where I let in black guys for free but charged white guys money.

Okay, it wasn't so much a "concert" as it was "my bedroom during Pride Week in 2005" but still, I feel ashamed of my past actions.

Why should white folks pay the same amount as black folks to take up space at an Afrofutures concert? Folks that benefit from white supremacy shouldn't be entitled to the same terms of access when the space is meant for people of colour, as an Afrofutures festival obviously is. White folks should have to spend more to get in so that black folks and people of colour are able to spend less, since Afrofutures is a community event for people with statistically limited life opportunities and increased chances of experiencing discrimination and loss of dignity.

Community spaces for black people and people of colour are often quickly fill up with white folks.

Also, fetishizing black men because of stereotypes of their genitals isn't cool.

Last edited:

No.

Just no.

And there is for sure some living up to stereotypes happening right on this page...

The humorless, tone deaf and strident caricature of what the Right wants the world to believe anyone to the Left of Mitt freaking Romney is like.

As I posted earlier this "story" is out there for two reasons, both cynical. The first is on the part of the event organizers that knew they could raise their profile and through such an obviously race baiting and "controversial" policy which they had no intention on following through with because they don't want to be open to some kind of discrimination lawsuit.

The second part comes from reactionary types online who flog this non-story as something which somehow "proves" some vague point about either all sides being the same or that there's some massive trend of discrimination and disenfranchisment of Caucasians in the Western world or some such... In other words something they can point to and somehow twist into a narrative that puts this nonsense onto the same level as multiple kinds of systematic racism across the board in society.

But then some "Progressive" has to come along and righteously defend this silliness and thus strengthen the Reactionary argument by coming up with some pseudo-academic sounding bull**** removed from reality which passes no smell test of equal treatment under the law in regards to race and which if it COULD be enacted by any group would essentially allow for anything from Jim Crow to 1930's era German laws regarding Jews, Homosexuals and Romani.

That anywhere online anyone is giving this story, and I think that's getting lose with the language, any traction is a sad example of how the Internet actually does little positive in terms of fostering healthy debate on important topics for the public good.

Why should white folks pay the same amount as black folks to take up space at an Afrofutures concert? Folks that benefit from white supremacy shouldn't be entitled to the same terms of access when the space is meant for people of colour, as an Afrofutures festival obviously is. White folks should have to spend more to get in so that black folks and people of colour are able to spend less, since Afrofutures is a community event for people with statistically limited life opportunities and increased chances of experiencing discrimination and loss of dignity.

Community spaces for black people and people of colour are often quickly fill up with white folks.

Also, fetishizing black men because of stereotypes of their genitals isn't cool.

JFC even small gestures of reparations like this arent taken seriously. Black folks werent even human under American law at the founding of its state and for how long after and now you all pretend everyone is equal.

If you’re white and feel just as entitled to be at an Afrofutures concert as black youth, take a long look at yourself. If you’re white and are mad that you have to pay $10 more than a black kid to go see a festival imagining black futures, take a long look at yourself. That space should be more accessible to the people it’s actually for (and not every space is for white people when they’re the ones who benefit from racism and are more likely to enact it).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"