Discussion: Relations with Russia

Elbridge Colby explains how the US exhausting it's weapons stocks to arm Ukraine lessens its ability to defend Taiwan.

The argument is completely and obviously true, but it would also work in reverse. If the US was serious about defending Taiwan, it would be unable to defend Ukraine and Israel.

The most powerful empire in history will have to retreat.

Been a while since i seen the usual empty threats from Russia.
The west has already suffered significant consequences from the Ukraine war.

For example, living standards are decreasing in the deindustrializing nation of Germany.

Severely ideological people can ignore that, but it's actually a severe less that will be felt for a very long time.

Elbridge Colby explains how the US exhausting it's weapons stocks to arm Ukraine lessens its ability to defend Taiwan.

The argument is completely and obviously true, but it would also work in reverse. If the US was serious about defending Taiwan, it would be unable to defend Ukraine and Israel.

The most powerful empire in history will have to retreat.

People do understand that a fight over Taiwan will look, very, very different than the current war in Ukraine, right? The fact that China essentially has to pull a D day is...going to be rough.

People do understand that a fight over Taiwan will look, very, very different than the current war in Ukraine, right? The fact that China essentially has to pull a D day is...going to be rough.
He discusses that in the thread. Some of the equipment that would hypothetically be used is the same, for example the HIMARS.

One can argue that the HIMARS have been among the most successful American weapons used in Ukraine. But part of the cost of using them is not just that stocks are depleted, but also that there's now a manual on how they work, and potentially, how to counteract them.

I don't know, it would be very ugly, the US vrs China. Lot of lives would be lost on both sides just like Russia vrs Ukraine.

While I can't be 100% sure of what you're responding to, it certainly would look a lot different and would be a very scary thing if China were to go in that direction. The possible destruction/disruption of infrastructure could be devastating for the world economy. I think everyone is tip toeing because a conflict there would be a no winner for literally everyone.

I could be missing something, but your point is well taken.

Well that is not new, Republicans dont hide anymore that they love what Putin does and want America to be like Russia.
LGBT have to hide, the poor work themself to dust and shut up, the rich have a fun time, religion is having a say in politics...all things Conservatives love.
I don't know, it would be very ugly, the US vrs China. Lot of lives would be lost on both sides just like Russia vrs Ukraine.
People have to stop thinking about a possible war with China.
China is not Russia where ego is a huge part of it being run.
China is all about economy and stability etc.
Its all about the country as a whole.

Russia mainly is Putin who does what he wants...that is not China.
China will keep quiet until there is absolutely no other choice...especially considering the struggles China faces currently on its own.

While the US system of justice is far from perfect, especially for those without means, please compare this to the US judicial system. Take Trump's trial on falsifying records as an example. While we probably don't need grand juries, a group of citizens found adequate grounds for indictment and another group found evidence to convict beyond a reasonable doubt.

Does anybody honestly still listen to Medvedev? Dude screams death and hell since the very first day.
He is like a barking dog you know will never bite.
Empty threats from Russia, feel at this point more shallow than ever.
The desperate attempt to seem strong, feels so forced.

Kim's troops are totally expendable and have no rights (and there are tons of them), as Putin well knows. A scary partnership developing here.
This does not bode well for Ukraine. :(

Given that NATO has been sending in mercenaries, this is a sensible response by Russia. In fact I'll assume it's a tit for tat response.

I'm not sure if the cost is worth it for North Korea. I understand that it's important for your military to acquire experience, but there will be a cost. One can argue that Ukraine has the world's second most effective land army. I am not sure that this benefits North Korea. This is some of the fiercest fighting the world has ever seen, any army that goes in will see severe casualties.

Then again, we're not privy to the full details of their agreement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"