Discussion: The Iraq War

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sinewave, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowBoxing Registered

Again no one said that Tokyo was not morally wrong...you're the one whose been defending one atrocity by juxtaposing it to another.

2. Carter Registered

It's not hypocritical. The conversation was about Japan. If anybody's being hypocritical it's you.
    Somehow killing mass amounts of innocent people is okay when we do it.

3. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

What makes you think I am just talking about you 2 guys?

about 215,000 died becaues of the A -bomb.

People think it was immoral to do that...and was wrong....so apparently they ALSO think us fighting WW2 was wrong. Because THATS what we did the last 3 years of the war.

People pick and chooosing...its silly [and by people I DONT have to just mean you 2]

4. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

I am saying the A-bomb, as terrible as it was, was moral because it saved more lives in the end by pointing out how many would have died as a result of the war continuing [i.e. Tokyo bombing]

Thats all, simple. I am sure you would agree based on protecting life.

5. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

When did I ever say killing innocents was okay?

I DO however live in a realistic world and KNOW that if we were not to have killed innocent people Japan WOULD have won and Hitler WOULD have controlled Europe.

So is it moral to let Japan and Hitler roam free simply because we will have to kill innocents? :rolleyes:

6. Carter Registered

Just because it's necessary does not make it "right".
    I never said I wouldn't do the same, but I would make no mistake about letting it be known that the decision to kill a hundred thousand people is wrong.

7. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

Ok, well I can agree with that.

However, I would say then going by this logic we had no "right" answer. Only had a bunch of "wrong" decisions to chooose from.

But in the realistic world we had to pick one to end the war.

Right? We can agree on that?

8. Carter Registered

Absolutely

9. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

Kool, good times.:up:

10. ShadowBoxing Registered

And I think as I pointed out before, the hero is the one you're most sympathetic to. You'd probably call Pearl Harbor, 911, and the Nazi's immoral, however they were responses to external tormentors in the same way our "wars" are. War is ALWAYS immoral in my view, no.matter.what. Just because its carried out with values and reasons YOU are sympathetic to does not make it moral in any way shape or form. You can justify anything with the right rhetoric, Hitler did it, FDR did it, Stalin did it. And if you lived in Soviet Russia during this era America would seem to you as big of a villian as you are making out Al Qaeda to be. Get it THROUGHT YOUR HEAD, to someone else WE ARE THE BADGUYS.

11. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

I know to some other people we are the bad guys.

And those people are Hitler, Osama, Saddam, etc.

Thats obvious.

However, I think war is not "ALWAYS immoral", I think the war we waged against Japan and Hilter was a MORAL thing for us to do. Do you disagree?

12. ShadowBoxing Registered

No...it involved us killing people, innocent people at times. There is nothing moral about that. You're talking about justification, in which case I told you anything can be justified.

And those people aren't just Hitler, Osama and Saddam....its also France, Russia (currently), its former satilite countries, China, Korea, and even Germany (though we are on better terms with them) all see us as imperialistic scum or at the very least an over consuming over debted country. And the fact that we are the only nation to use the atomic bomb certainly does not help our case in defending our position. The American government is a good government, especially on paper...and we have very little corruption. However we still value greed and money, still are very selfish as individuals, and still shoot ourselves in the foot by attempting to be the big daddy to the rest of the world. We use our power, maybe not always imperialistically, to tell other nations how to live. We are very arrogant in that way, and to be quiet honest are probably a lot darker historically than those we preach to.

13. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

So you dont think the USA waging war against Hitler and Japan was "right, just, or good"???

14. TheSumOfGod Registered

As Daffy Duck would say: "It's a trick that you can only perform once."

15. TheSumOfGod Registered

If your "fellow countrymen" collaborate with the enemy, they are no longer your "fellow countrymen". :o

16. Arkady Rossovich Registered

I can imagine that embassy being destroyed in a boming raid,or by a group of sucide bombers.

17. Mentok Registered

Ahhhh... I was looking back at the thread... Can somebody show me photos or actual plans for this 'Giant Embassy'?

I probably skipped the post but I see nothing :confused:

18. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

Uhh thats pretty silly. They are still thier countrymen, no matter what they do.

:rolleyes:

19. TheSumOfGod Registered

Even if they collaborate with the enemy? That's new. :rolleyes:

20. TheSumOfGod Registered

Just look at the very first post of this thread. There's a link. :o

21. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

Yes.

I think maybe you might want to learn the definitions of a word before you make yourself look silly.

Countryman= - an inhabitant or native of a specified country
    - one living in the country or marked by countryways
    -a person born, residing, or holding citizenship in the same country as another

So it doesnt matter what they do, they are still your countrymen. Stop trying to make things up...like meanings of words.

22. TheSumOfGod Registered

You're playing on semantics. You know what we all meant. If a fellow countryman were to collaborate with the enemy in a time of military occupation, they would immediately be considered a traitor, as bad as the enemy soldiers themselves, simple as that.

23. Admiral_N8 I Look Like THOR

So anyone helping rebuild the country, helping the USA rebuild powerlines, schools, etc...are traitors?

24. Mentok Registered

No photos or plans for an embassy, just a tiny pic of a few cranes which could be for anything.

25. The Decider Registered

They should be grateful, think of the income this could bring in to their poor country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.