Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party - - - - - Part 20

Honestly can believe DeSantis will be a Republican Presidential candidate at some point. Truth means nothing. The fact he never fully locked down or did a mask mandate actually makes him popular in Florida.

That is what tv tropes calls Friends Rent Control

Texas Republican Slams GOP For Hating 'A Good Hunk Of America' | HuffPost

“I think that we are just a party of grievance right now,” Wood said. “I don’t know what we stand for. We stand for owning the libs. We don’t like baseball. We don’t like Coke. We don’t like NASCAR. We don’t like Hollywood. We don’t like academia. We don’t like anything. We’re just a grievance party that hates a good hunk of America and then we call ourselves patriots, and this is just a dead end.”

Although some Republicans might find “lib owning” to be a bizarre form of self-care, Wood warned that’s not a longterm political philosophy.

“We’re not going to win elections that way, and we’re not going to sort of put into place the sort of conservative reforms we want that way, and then at the fringes there’s a real risk of political violence, which keeps me up at night,” he said. “We saw that on Jan. 6, and I hate to say it, but it can get worse than that. And we have a lot of work ahead of us.”

Wood isn’t sure how the party can come back from its current state.
Michael Wood ran in Texas’s 6th Congressional District for the seat previously occupied by Republican Rep. Ron Wright with a campaign critical of Donald Trump, even though he voted for the now former president.

You're part of the problem too!

R politicians spend more time talking about what they hate rather than what they like, perhaps knowing saying out lout what they like (like Trump does) gets them into trouble.

The GOP can't grow without the guy that lost them the presidency, senate and house? Lindsey was right; they deserve to get destroyed for nominating him.

That is the complete and total opposite of what the GOP needs to happen. The further they lean into him the more they are going to lose. So let them keep leaning into a loser.

It's people like Baker and Hogan that win in otherwise Democratic dominated states that can grow their party. Not Trump and Trumpism. They're at this time too stupid to realize it. Which may make it easier for Democrats to win by forcing people to pick a side against Trumpism but also obviously bad.

Massachusetts (2018)
Baker (R) 67%
Gonzalez (D) 33%
(Democrats overwhelming won the House vote at the same time that year.)

Massachusetts (2020)
Trump (R) 32%
Biden (D) 66%

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"