• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party - - - - - Part 20

The Republican obsession with abortion is really difficult to make sense: Restricting abortion is apparently a big part of project 2025.

I try to imagine rationalizations in my mind but then another voice in my head says "they're not sharp."
I'm really thinking it has more to do with their ability to fundraise off of it, uniting the Christian right against a common cause. Something like that.

The Republican obsession with abortion is really difficult to make sense: Restricting abortion is apparently a big part of project 2025.

I try to imagine rationalizations in my mind but then another voice in my head says "they're not sharp."
Some of them just use Evangelical Christianity as a grift to accumulate money and power, others are Religious fundamentalists that believe the United States should be a White Christian Theocracy. They believe America should be a Christian version of Iran. Racism and classism also plays a big part of their doctrine. They buy into the racist conspiracy theory of the great replacement, thinking the 'white' population is in decline because people are having less kids so getting rid of abortion will boost the white population. Many Republicans have actually cited this as a reason they are against abortion rather than it being because of some religious or moral belief.

They obviously hate Hispanic immigration because they think they have more offspring than them which ties into the racism stuff. The classism element comes into the ideology with the idea there should be a underclass workforce which they prefer be poor whites and to a less extent black people.

Last edited:
They buy into the racist conspiracy theory of the great replacement, thinking the 'white' population is in decline because people are having less kids so getting rid of abortion will boost the white population. Many Republicans have actually cited this as a reason they are against abortion rather than it being because of some religious or moral belief.

Yes I guess some believe that, but it's pretty dumb.

It's in no way obvious that abortion causes a lower birth rate, as it may hinder the ability of women to have subsequent births. It is also the case that it's not immediately obvious which ethnic groups are most affected by abortion rules, though people who consider the issue likely have a good idea.

My current mental model is that pro-lifery is the equivalent of political "junk DNA". It made sense for GOP politicians in the 1980s, 19990s, and 2000s because it was a genuine vote getter. I think at the time more people were really concerned about saving babies, God implanting the soul into the body at conception, etc. Now, people often think differently, but the politicians have a legacy of ideology to uphold.

Myself, I am pro-life in my own way. I would prefer policies that tackle the opioid, suicide, firearms, and traffic epidemics killing far in excess of 100,000 Americans prematurely a year. I'd also like a cleaner food, water, and ventillation program that would probably save even more lives.

Yes I guess some believe that, but it's pretty dumb.

It's in no way obvious that abortion causes a lower birth rate, as it may hinder the ability of women to have subsequent births. It is also the case that it's not immediately obvious which ethnic groups are most affected by abortion rules, though people who consider the issue likely have a good idea.

My current mental model is that pro-lifery is the equivalent of political "junk DNA". It made sense for GOP politicians in the 1980s, 19990s, and 2000s because it was a genuine vote getter. I think at the time more people were really concerned about saving babies, God implanting the soul into the body at conception, etc. Now, people often think differently, but the politicians have a legacy of ideology to uphold.

Myself, I am pro-life in my own way. I would prefer policies that tackle the opioid, suicide, firearms, and traffic epidemics killing far in excess of 100,000 Americans prematurely a year. I'd also like a cleaner food, water, and ventillation program that would probably save even more lives.

A state Rep Republican who voted for an abortion ban admitted in a interview he knew very little about female reproduction. Its a crazy situation when you have politicians with a high school at best education on female reproduction saying they know better than Obstetricians and gynaecologists with years of medical knowledge and experience.

I haven't read much of that crap and don't need to, but it's called an "auto"biography. :lmao: That means YOU wrote it. "Accusations" aren't really necessary. I guess it's okay for very rich people to get richer off the backs of poorer people because the rich don't get "belligerent"? Screw the social safety net for those who are tossed by the wayside because they can't be soaked for profit, while self centered scumbags sit in their goddamn boardrooms, yachts, and private jets and try to convince themselves they are making a better world for everyone.

The shortsightedness and ensuing stupidity of supposedly "smart" (read greedy) people just baffles me.

Oh, he was one of the few *******s who voted against banning child marriage? Yeah, that tracks.

A state Rep Republican who voted for an abortion ban admitted in a interview he knew very little about female reproduction. Its a crazy situation when you have politicians with a high school at best education on female reproduction saying they know better than Obstetricians and gynaecologists with years of medical knowledge and experience.
I learned about the female (and male) reproductive system in middle school, back when sex education was actually taught in school anyways. Maybe I'm just old or my school was an outlier at the time.

I learned about the female (and male) reproductive system in middle school, back when sex education was actually taught in school anyways. Maybe I'm just old or my school was an outlier at the time.
I remember those classes, too, a little bit when I was in school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"