Discussion: The Supreme Court II

If the Supreme Court is going to overturn abortion rights then Congress needs to enshrine them into a law that can't be easily repealed the next time the Republicants gain power.

I know. It's about as likely as they are to enact fair voting rights laws or sensible gun laws.

Gizmodo - Supreme Court Issues Radical New Reading of Anti-Hacking Law

The U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday said a Georgia police officer had not violated the country’s main anti-hacking law by improperly accessing a government license plate database for financial gain, a decision likely to curtail prosecutions under the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) of individuals who misuse computer systems to which they have legal access.

Very mixed bag there as the CFAA has been abused horrendously over the years for "hacking" that is nothing more than accessing publically avaliable information and ineptitude from corportate or government IT departments that failed to properly restrict or encode information but this guy was also clearly abusing his status to profit off of it too.

Very mixed bag there as the CFAA has been abused horrendously over the years for "hacking" that is nothing more than accessing publically avaliable information and ineptitude from corportate or government IT departments that failed to properly restrict or encode information but this guy was also clearly abusing his status to profit off of it too.

Also interesting in the generational split among the conservatives.

Huh. Cults are bad.

Cops need a lot more than a HIPAA law to fix their abuse problems.

Cops need a lot more than a HIPAA law to fix their abuse problems.
True, but there at least should be legal consequences for misuse of the information they have access to.

This is not surprising. He said as much when he refused to consider Garland to replace Antonin Scalia in early 2016.

If I was Breyer and I heard that, I would be turning in my resignation letter pronto. There would be NO way would I let Moscow Mitch pick MY replacement.

On the bright side, the Senate confirmed Kentanji Brown to Garland's former spot on the DC Circuit Court of Appeals today. Maybe she'll be on the Supreme Court within two years.

It's because a certain faction of the country wants to impose their "religious beliefs" on everyone else and if you are different, too bad, you can go move to another country because these bigots think they own this one.

It's so infuriating to see courts continue to enforce this absurd "Right to Discriminate" as an extension of Religious Freedom. It's a sign of, despite so much progress, just how far LGBTQ+ rights still have to go. A business claiming religious basis for discriminating against another race or religion would never fly. But the halls of power still haven't excepted sexuality or gender identity as "equal" in terms of protected groups.

And, as a Christian, it's even worse to see these bigots make these claims and set the narrative for the faith, despite their whole argument running profoundly contradictory to the teachings & example of Jesus and even the interpretive letters of Paul. Like, I understand the Christians who are convinced homosexuality is a sin, when the scriptures have been translated to enforce that for centuries. But there is NOTHING in the Bible that prevents a Christian from doing business with a supposed "sinner." In fact, sound doctrine teaches the exact opposite. It's not religion. It's just plain bigotry, hate and fear of "the other."

Religious rights trump everyone else's rights. That is a problem in this country. Your religious views should not have the ability of others to live their lives normally, safely and without fear of discrimination or attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"