Discussion: The Supreme Court II

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Kelly, Apr 9, 2010.

1. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

I'd prefer to keep separation of church and state than tax churches and end up with the possibility of a theocracy.

Teelie and Lily Adler like this.
  2. Teelie Jokerface

Me too but the current hegemony running the Supreme Court has no interest in maintaining that seperation.

Lily Adler likes this.
  3. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

4. Holy Slapper Registered

Manchin and Sinema are likely not going to vote for any justice candidates either, so that's not happening. Even if the Dems wanted to pack the court, they couldn't. And you know that the next Republican president will do that. It'll be 11-2, at least.

#3079 Holy Slapper, Dec 10, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  5. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

6. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

The other option is to introduce term limits for Chief Justices.

MessiahDecoy123 likes this.
  7. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

8. Sithborg Registered

9. Marvolo Registered

Gun control is a much higher priority, but yeah IDK how this will work with the second ammendment.

And as far as I know, legally an assault rifle is a very specific thing. It has to have selective fire and a full auto mode. The AR-15 and other civilian models of modern style rifles do not have full auto or selective fire. The media likes to call them assault rifles, but they aren't really.

For those that don't know, AR-15 stands for ArmaLite Rifle Model 15. Not Auto Rifle or Assault Rifle.

#3084 Marvolo, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  10. Holy Slapper Registered

Why not both.gif

Boy Scout likes this.
  11. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

Boy Scout likes this.
  12. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

13. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Bounties on immigrants and LGBTQ are another thing the right is chomping at the bit to do.

14. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

What Newsom is willfully ignoring is that they're a conservative Court not a consistent one. :p

15. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

16. Marvolo Registered

Let's have bounties on GOP politicians for treasonous acts and negligent homicide.

[​IMG]

17. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

It's a political move and he's trying to highlight their hypocrisy if they strike it down.

18. Lily Adler Politically Delicious (P) (she/her/hers)

Oh so they set the stage and they're just playing their parts in the play.

[​IMG]

19. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I think it goes like this "Well, if you think you've found a way to deny someone a constitutional right that you don't like, I guess we can go there too." It also puts some pressure, I think, on the SCOTUS to say "Whoa.....wait a minute....". It's a lot like red states involved in voter suppression and unfair redistricting and not doing it in blue states also. The fact is that it just shouldn't be done. Period.

20. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

Conservative Majority on Supreme Court Appears Skeptical of Biden’s Virus Plan

The neo-Taney court poised to strike again with their Confederate state supremacy over the federal government beliefs.

Reuters - U.S. Supreme Court conservatives lean against Biden business vaccine policy

That's false. And WT* kind of argument is that? 'Oh, that was meant for the last pandemic (that was already over for decades when that law past), not this one or anything in the future ever.' Laws are about the future, not the past, you can't hold anyone accountable legally ex post facto anyway!

Biological Agents - Overview | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

OSH Act of 1970 | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

See also: Coronavirus outbreak

hazardous agent defined here in law:

Definition of a Hazardous Substance. | Occupational Safety and Health Administration

#3096 MagnarTheGreat, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  21. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Some time ago, I brought up the possibility of using the type of language I helped negotiate in our contract to allow people to refuse work in an unvaccinated and/or non-testing workplace. While I haven't read that many union contracts, we modeled our language on commonly sections used in other contracts. Essentially, it says that if an employee raises a health concern in the working environment and the supervisor doesn't make an attempt to fix the issue, Environmental Health and Safety will be called in to assess the situation. If EH&S says the issue isn't of concern (COVID isn't a concern LOL) and the employee refuses work, they may be disciplined. At that point, the grievance process takes over and the matter can be brought to outside, binding arbitration. If a group of employees banded together on this, it would then be assigned as a group arbitration, but in the meantime work would not be done. This is a stone cold loser for the employer......IF you have a decent union contract.

Think about this if you are anti-union. There are cases where your life, literally, is at stake.

22. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

23. MagnarTheGreat Web Ninja

The far-right U.S. Supreme Court has thrown out the OSHA test-or-vaccine mandate for businesses but allowed only the narrow mandate for healthcare workers.

This court Republican majority doesn't believe the feds can protect workers and workplaces from biohazards and other forms of harm like the law that President Nixon signed after Congress passed it.

And why haven't you retired yet, you jerk, Justice Breyer.

Lies.

#3099 MagnarTheGreat, Jan 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2022
  24. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Such BS. If you are at risk in your workplace, it's a health and safety issue. We have a SCOTUS installed by eliminating the filibuster for appointments, egregious actions by McConnell to pack the court, that now tells us we have to put our lives at risk by working.