Discussion: The Supreme Court II

NPR - Justice Stephen Breyer, an influential liberal on the Supreme Court, to retire

The two leading contenders are said to be federal Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, who was on President Obama's shortlist for the court in 2016, and California Supreme Court Justice Leondra Kruger, who served as assistant, and then deputy solicitor general in both Democratic and Republican administrations prior to her nomination to California's highest court.

Both women are young, in terms of Supreme Court appointment. And both have stellar legal credentials.

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson was confirmed by the Senate 53-44 previously last year.

Ketanji Brown Jackson: Senate confirms key Biden judicial nominee - CNNPolitics

The vote was 53-44. Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska voted with Democrats in favor of confirmation.

Last edited:
Turkey Neck Mitch is regretting eliminating the filibuster for the SC nominees and eliminating or shortening Senate procedures to push through Amy Barrett.

If Senate Ds take the same fast and hard route, then Breyer’s replacement will be confirmed at the end of July or early August.

A good bit of news. Maybe it was the vaccine mandate case that got him frustrated enough to retire.

My concern is Sinema and Manchin pulling the same stunt they did with BBB and bull****ting about "bipartisanship" even though the Republicans forced their 3 through with zero regards for it.

If that happens, I want every single Democrat to go scorched Earth on them. From Biden to first-time voters.

EDIT: But I imagine they won’t, because replacing one liberal Justice with another on this Supreme Court isn’t gonna matter for quite some time.

When a conservative SC judge dies or retires, then it’ll be a mud slinging confirmation Senate fight. Especially if Ds are still in control.

Mitch can’t do anything but gripe now. Senate Ds control things through January 2023. So if they lost the Senate, they’ll ram through more judges before then.

Turkey Neck Mitch is regretting eliminating the filibuster for the SC nominees and eliminating or shortening Senate procedures to push through Amy Barrett.

If Senate Ds take the same fast and hard route, then Breyer’s replacement will be confirmed at the end of July or early August.

A good bit of news. Maybe it was the vaccine mandate case that got him frustrated enough to retire.
Republicans will still have a majority on SCOTUS that will last generations so I don't think he is feeling too bad.

They need to set term limits. 20 - 30 years on the Court and then you’re done. If you’ve already reached that point by the time the law passes? Thank you for your service. Here’s a gift bag.

With the deal cut by Schumer and McConnell, there are an equal number of Dems and Repubs on the Judiciary Committee. The nomination needs to be able to get out of committee and if you look at who's on it (Graham, Cornyn, Cotton, Cruz, Kennedy, ad nauseam), you'll see that Sasse is really the only one who might allow someone to get out of committee. If it can't get out of committee, things get really, really complicated. Once it gets to the floor, it will pass.

With the deal cut by Schumer and McConnell, there are an equal number of Dems and Repubs on the Judiciary Committee. The nomination needs to be able to get out of committee and if you look at who's on it (Graham, Cornyn, Cotton, Cruz, Kennedy, ad nauseam), you'll see that Sasse is really the only one who might allow someone to get out of committee. If it can't get out of committee, things get really, really complicated. Once it gets to the floor, it will pass.

Which is another reason why I think Kentanji Brown Jackson is the frontrunner to replace Breyer, apart from her clerking for him. She's already been through the confirmation process for the DC Circuit Court of Appeals last year, which made it out of committee. But don't forget VP Kamala has the tie breaking vote, so even if all Rs on that panel are 'nay', Senate Ds have the votes to get her to a floor vote.

Any other Biden picks for the SC is going to have an even tougher time. Senate Rs are going to make it difficult for KBJ, but even more so for someone like Leandra Kruger or J. Michelle Childs.

Republicans will still have a majority on SCOTUS that will last generations so I don't think he is feeling too bad.

With the attention on the Supreme Court for a different reason, more questions are going to be asked of Ginni Thomas' role in the 1/6 failed coup. Might get to the point where Clarence might want to leave.

It would be funny if Thomas died or resigned from his seat before the midterms -- and then Rs are going to go in full meltdown mode.

I’m not going to wish ill will buy my dream is if Clarence Thomas somehow was no longer on the bench while Biden is President, I won’t complain.

Which is another reason why I think Kentanji Brown Jackson is the frontrunner to replace Breyer, apart from her clerking for him. She's already been through the confirmation process for the DC Circuit Court of Appeals last year, which made it out of committee. But don't forget VP Kamala has the tie breaking vote, so even if all Rs on that panel are 'nay', Senate Ds have the votes to get her to a floor vote.

Any other Biden picks for the SC is going to have an even tougher time. Senate Rs are going to make it difficult for KBJ, but even more so for someone like Leandra Kruger or J. Michelle Childs.

This is the Supreme Court....it's no gimme she'll get out of committee.

I’m not going to wish ill will buy my dream is if Clarence Thomas somehow was no longer on the bench while Biden is President, I won’t complain.

No comment from me on him or Alito. If they showed up in another thread in the Community Forum, which I won't name, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"