Discussion: The Supreme Court II

I'm actually in agreement with Matt and Norm on principle. The SCOTUS is a position that should be upheld with integrity and with no political motivation.

Really? Your best come back is that I insulted you without giving a fair chance for a reasonable debate?

Tell me how it's okay for you to insult and mock someone with out any basis for a discussion about them, but be so offended when someone mocks you without giving you the chance to defend yourself.

I'm not saying that your opinion was ill-formed or uneducated, I'm pointing out that being insulting and rude is sort of a dick move.

I'm confused..... Stormin insulted "you" or he insulted "the Clintons"....?

Please forgive me, I woke up very early this morning, and now it is catching up with me...

According to Newsweek, President Obama has officially interviewed Elena Kagan for the Supreme Court vacancy.

I'm confused..... Stormin insulted "you" or he insulted "the Clintons"....?

Please forgive me, I woke up very early this morning, and now it is catching up with me...

Sorry, missed this. Stormy didn't insult me. We're too close to do that. He insulted Billy and Co.

Just checking....well Bill & Co. are open to insults, kinda comes with the territory.

According to the AP, the Supreme Court is closing the front entrance to the building over security concerns. Visitors will now have to enter through a 'screening area' on the side of the building.

:csad:

This seems a little out of no where...

According to the AP, Elena Kagen is Obama's rumored pick for the Supeme Court vacancy.

BREAKING NEWS!

President Obama will select US Solicitor General Elena Kagan as Supreme Court nominee.

BREAKING NEWS!

President Obama will select US Solicitor General Elena Kagan as Supreme Court nominee.

And she'll be played in drag by Bobby Monihan on Saturday Night Live.

You insult a man's integrity and mock an opinion he spends a great time in forming and places tremendous pride in and then refuse to respond when he calls you out for, either intentionally and mistakenly, being factually incorrect and intellectually deceiving in doing so.

It's understandable. You would either have to admit that you were talking out of your ash, or only further the crime. Ignoring is the best way to save face. See, there just may be hope for you yet.

I dunno you mocked everyone who had a law degree in a thread the other day with no explanation just a snide remark about how they had wasted their time.

oh and to keep this on topic Kagan is probably the last straw for progressives with Obama. I expect his numbers to drop big time after this.
We didn't fight to get him elected so he could replace the most liberal justice with a moderate conservative one.

Last edited:
Not crazy about this. Aside from her lack of judicial experience, it seems like he is appointing someone who is an old friend of his from their days teaching at Harvard as opposed to the best choice. It stinks of nepotism, just like Arne Duncan. Not the best person, but Obama's friend.

Her banning of military recruiters is going to come back and hurt her, at any rate. I think this is going to go the way of Harriet Meyers.

I dunno you mocked everyone who had a law degree in a thread the other day with no explanation just a snide remark about how they had wasted their time.

oh and to keep this on topic Kagan is probably the last straw for progressives with Obama. I expect his numbers to drop big time after this.
We didn't fight to get him elected so he could replace the most liberal justice with a moderate conservative one.
Thank god he picked Kagan. I thought he was going to elect a Progressive version of Scalia or something. That would have been scary.

The Republicans are going to be the dumbasses they are and fight this, only to result in a really progressive judge.

Not happy about Kagan, because Obama should've replace Justice Stevens with another like-minded progressive justice, and not an old pal of his. He should've made his pick with alot more discussion and consideration. This won't really help balancing out High Court's strong swing to the Right.

Thank god he picked Kagan. I thought he was going to elect a Progressive version of Scalia or something. That would have been scary.

The Republicans are going to be the dumbasses they are and fight this, only to result in a really progressive judge.

I think that's exactly why Obama nominated her. She's his Harriet Myers. Now he can say, "I tried to please both sides," when Republicans destroy her nomination and he puts in a far lefty.

Well, she has a much much more solid resume than Harriet Meyers had, and has already been approved for an administration post.

The Republicans are stupid dip****s. You of course want to get the least qualified, least influential, and least experienced progressive judge possible to fill the quota. Even progressives are pissing blood and fuming about her. This is why she is an excellent choice.

If they result in a Left-Scalia with their cork blork antics, I am going to tape a Elephant to the punching bag.

Obama lost me on this choice. I tried to put up with his compromising and reaching across the aisle and watering down bills for zero votes etc.

but this choice lets me know that he is in no way a progressive.
he just moved the court to the right. and that's unforgivable.

Is she really a moderate conservative? She seems reliably liberal to me.
The only exception I see she may be more sympathetic to defending military practices of going after terrorists. On domestic and social issues, I'd assume she's reliably liberal, especially since she even gave the military a hard time with Don't Ask Don't Tell.

Matt said:
Not crazy about this. Aside from her lack of judicial experience, it seems like he is appointing someone who is an old friend of his from their days teaching at Harvard as opposed to the best choice. It stinks of nepotism, just like Arne Duncan. Not the best person, but Obama's friend.

Her banning of military recruiters is going to come back and hurt her, at any rate. I think this is going to go the way of Harriet Meyers.
I agree with Matt, not liking this choice. I don't like her philosophy, but that's not the biggest thing that bothers me. I think Obama chose her because she'd have a harder time being Borked (no paper trail...). He knows her heart-worldview so she'll carry out Obama's judicial view on the Court while being able to defend herself against accusations of being an activist since she has no record. I think this is different from Miers in that I genuinely think Bush was doing an old friend from Texas a favor and didn't care about his base or her legacy on the Court - the move was straight cronyism. I think Obama's making a more calculating move with this decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"