Discussion: The War On Drugs, Legalization of Marijuana, The Opioid Crisis, and Other Drug Issues

I don't get why cigarettes and tobacco are legal but weed isn't when cigarettes are way more harmful than weed and have nowhere near the amount of positive side effects that weed has

Do some research on it. It's quite fascinating the confluence of events and world views which have come into play to make weed illegal/criminalized in the U.S. (and thus much of the world).

I do neither. Lost a father that way. Your tin foil hat wearing self wouldn't know that though. It's cool.

Sorry for your loss but not everyone who enjoys an occasional partaking falls into the black hole of addiction. Just like everyone who eats ice cream doesn't end up morbidly obese and dying of a heart attack or diabetes. both tickle pleasure centers of the brain and can be addictive if a person doesn't have the will power to moderate their urges.

Do some research on it. It's quite fascinating the confluence of events and world views which have come into play to make weed illegal/criminalized in the U.S. (and thus much of the world).

I've read several accounts of why it became criminal. One is that it was because Mexicans brought it into the states and the govt used the criminalization of MJ as an excuse to search,detain and deport Mexicans.

Then they used it as a tool to incriminate black people with their jazz music and illicit sexual escapades.

Then there's the likely pressure put on politicians by several rich businessmen (mostly William Randolph Hearst) to outlaw hemp in all forms to protect their timber industries.

And then there's Richard Nixon and his answer to the SCOTUS ruling that the MJ act of 1937 was unconstitutional. Which put MJ on a "schedule" of drugs and ranked it in the highest category with heroin.

Strange joke, but no harm no foul.

BIG wins for the legal Cannabis movement in the US;

California, Massachusetts, Nevada & Maine all legalise recreational use.

Montanna, Arkansas, North Dakota & Florida all passed their Medical Cannabis props.

We'll need it.

there ain't enough weed in the world to ease the pain of this election

Pence and future Attorney General Guiliani or Christie will shut it all down anyway.

Not to mention a national stop and frisk program.

The blue states deserve better.

The majority of Americans deserve better.

Yeah none of this matters with a Trump presidency. DEA will shut it all down before California even has a chance to implement it.

I'm not convinced about that. What does Trump have to gain?

This isn't really a hyper partisan issue.

So how does the medical weed thing work now that it's legal in FL? I can just get a card from a doctor and stay high all the time and nobody can say jack about it?

I'm not convinced about that. What does Trump have to gain?

This isn't really a hyper partisan issue.

It is a partisan issue. 42% of Republicans support legalization and 66% of Democrats.

Also Guiliani and Chris Christie are hardcore prohibitionists and have gone on record saying they would enforce federal law and shut down legalization across the nation.

So how does the medical weed thing work now that it's legal in FL? I can just get a card from a doctor and stay high all the time and nobody can say jack about it?

I doubt it.

Most medical marijuana states have ridiculously strict policies.

Way stricter than opioid policy. Go figure.

:hmr:
It is a partisan issue. 42% of Republicans support legalization and 66% of Democrats.

Also Guiliani and Chris Christie are hardcore prohibitionists and have gone on record saying they would enforce federal law and shut down legalization across the nation.

Yeah, Guiliani or Christie are shoe ins for attorney general. Anyone in California (and I know a few of these people) that think weed being legal in CA now is an upside to this election are in for a nasty surprise. I am wondering if medical marijuana will go away shortly as well.

Edit - Guiliani apparently wants SoS not Attorney General. There is an outside chance that someone talks Trump down from a ledge on Christie because he is pretty much toxic politically. So I guess there is a chance what I said above never comes to pass?

Last edited:
People in FL are now pissed when they found out the courts ruled having a medical marijuana card also means you can't legally buy or own firearms. :lmao:

42% is a pretty high percentage, though, and how serious are the prohibitionists?

Now that states are voting to legalize the stuff I think politicians will stay away from illegalizing it again.

Ok... I was too busy watching the election and forgot all about the MJ voting.... someone give me the cliffnotes...

People in FL are now pissed when they found out the courts ruled having a medical marijuana card also means you can't legally buy or own firearms. :lmao:

If you feel that you need a gun then you need something stronger than weed.

Last edited:
Ok... I was too busy watching the election and forgot all about the MJ voting.... someone give me the cliffnotes...

Around 9 states voted on whether to legalize medical or recreational.

RECREATIONAL:

Arizona (failed)
Cali (passed)
Nevada (passed)
Massachusetts (passed)
Maine (passed)

Florida and some other states legalized medical too.

Niiiiice so it wasn't a completely awful Tuesday :o

Good thing I'm not really into guns. I'm all for 2nd amendment rights, but never really cared for firearms to be honest. So this won't affect me at all :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"