Discussion: The War On Drugs, Legalization of Marijuana, The Opioid Crisis, and Other Drug Issues

I disagree. Religion has been proven to do the exact opposite of what you said regarding nations.

Well, look at you, you just solved everyone's problems with the solution of, "Better diets, better stress management, better exercise." It must be so easy to do then.

Perhaps the reason why Americans are so unhappy is that the government does everything it can to police it's citizens and try to "protect" them from themselves (ie. the War on Drugs). It has nothing to do with marijuana. Legalizing it is a step in the right direction because it allows adults to make decisions for themselves. It allows adults to be adults. Imagine that! Being treated like an adult. What a novel idea.

:up:

Ugh, I just saw a preview for an interview the news station is going to run tonight. Some guy talking about Marijuana being bad and something about how he regrets it. They of course made sure to show him saying things like "it makes you stupid" and " that's not the person I wanted to be".

I know numerous people that smoke and they are perfectly fine and don't get dumbed down. I think the people who get dumbed down when they smoke are first timers or people that weren't that bright to begin with.

It needs to become legal in California and Oregon this year. Seriously.

Apparently though according to stats California has a better shot in 2016 due to it being a presidential election year.

I'm all for legalization in California but I don't understand how anyone in my state can think 2014 is a good time to push this. While we are still pretty liberal, attempting this during a midterm election is a suicide mission. I'd rather wait two years and vote on this in a year I know it will definitely pass than potentially legalize it two years earlier but face an at most 50/50 chance of it passing. Especially if Clinton ends up running and you have more excitement and "change" or whatever factor that may drive Democrats to the polls that would normally sit it out for the usual congressional elections or standard "generic white male vs. generic white male" presidential election. And if Rand Paul somehow magically gets the Republican nomination it's going to pass with an overwhelming majority because then you are bringing libertarians into the equation that would normally not vote.

Last edited:
Ha!

And I'm kinda surprised Congress is expected to support it.

I'm all for legalization in California but I don't understand how anyone in my state can think 2014 is a good time to push this. While we are still pretty liberal, attempting this during a midterm election is a suicide mission. I'd rather wait two years and vote on this in a year I know it will definitely pass than potentially legalize it two years earlier but face an at most 50/50 chance of it passing. Especially if Clinton ends up running and you have more excitement and "change" or whatever factor that may drive Democrats to the polls that would normally sit it out for the usual congressional elections or standard "generic white male vs. generic white male" presidential election. And if Rand Paul somehow magically gets the Republican nomination it's going to pass with an overwhelming majority because then you are bringing libertarians into the equation that would normally not vote.
I completely agree.

It's a matter of restraint and clearly many Californians don't have it. 2016 is definitely the year to get legalization passed as I also see 2014 not being the year to push this as statistically it proves itself possibly (highly likely) fruitless.

I wonder...is it possible that one of the major campaign points of the 2016 presidential election will be federal cannabis policy reform? By then Colorado will have been officially legal going on 2 and a half years or so (Washington State "officially" going legal sometime this spring), Alaska and California will join them shortly, Florida will likely have had medicinal cannabis for at least a year...it just seems to me that by 2016 we'll be able to seriously consider federal legalization alongside the presidency.

So my state of NC is considering selling weed seized in arrests and raids to states where it is legal. Saw it on the news last night.

If citizens of a state cant legally buy it and sell it then the state shouldnt be allowed to. All this is is a way to make revenue without actually legalizing it.

So my state of NC is considering selling weed seized in arrests and raids to states where it is legal. Saw it on the news last night.

If citizens of a state cant legally buy it and sell it then the state shouldnt be allowed to. All this is is a way to make revenue without actually legalizing it.

What a joke. They want to auction off weed they stole from someone else. Makes them look like an outlaw gang more than anything. Not to mention the complete hypocrisy of the entire concept.

but I doubt 420 states would buy seized weed.

Cannabis growers are closely monitored by these states to ensure quality. The seized weed could've been grown under terrible conditions.

I wonder...is it possible that one of the major campaign points of the 2016 presidential election will be federal cannabis policy reform? By then Colorado will have been officially legal going on 2 and a half years or so (Washington State "officially" going legal sometime this spring), Alaska and California will join them shortly, Florida will likely have had medicinal cannabis for at least a year...it just seems to me that by 2016 we'll be able to seriously consider federal legalization alongside the presidency.

The thing is cannabis is a wedge issue that most candidates avoid. Both Obama and Romney stayed mute on the issue last election (I happen to think this was a strategy by Obama who knew he would partially endorse on his second term).

But if public support for legalization hits 60% nationally I'm certain a desperate candidate will endorse legalization forcing the other candidates to take a stance.

and I'm hoping other states wait till 2016 but it like an arms race now. Everyone wants to be the third state to legalize in the US or the first state on the East Coast. :awesome:

Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN) destroys Botticelli

This man is a beast and he does not **** around.

It is ludicrous, absurd, crazy to have marijuana in the same level as heroin. Ask the late Philip Seymour Hoffman, if you could. Nobody dies from marijuana. People die from heroin. Every second that we spend in this country trying to enforce marijuana laws is a second that we're not enforcing heroin laws. And heroin and meth are the two drugs that are ravaging our country. And every death, including Mr. Hoffman's, is partly the responsibility of the federal government's drug priorities for not putting total emphasis on the drugs that kill, that cause people to be addicted and have to steal to support their habit.

Heroin is getting into the arms of young people. When we put marijuana on the same level as heroin and crack and LSD and meth and crack and cocaine, we are telling young people not to listen to adults about the ravages and problems, and they don't listen because they know you're wrong.

Isn't that a mistake when people die form heroin in great numbers, that the Vermont governor spends his entire State of the State on heroin use? And we don't distinguish and try to save people's lives? That's when you knock people over at the corner store. It's not to get money to buy a donut 'cause you're high, it's to buy heroin because you're hooked.

Also note the end of the video, @ 6:40 where Cohen points out that ONDCP itself is prohibited by law from using funds to study cannabis legalization (the only federal office with that restriction), and the swerving and backpedaling from Botticelli. Cohen flat out asks him if he thinks it's right for a government agency to be muzzled and the dude continues to dodge and pass the buck. Amazing.

I am troubled that not only is the ONDCP the only federal office required by law to oppose rescheduling marijuana even if it is proven to have medical benefits, but that the office also is prohibited from studying if that could even be true. The ONDCP’s job should be to develop and recommend sane drug control policies, not be handcuffed or muzzled from telling the American people the truth.

Last edited:
I wish Steve Cohen was my Representative. That was systematic, genius, brilliant. :woot:

Bwahahaha everybody is crawling up Botticelli's ash. That poor bastard can't catch a break. Rep. Earl Blumenauer called him on his crap too.

Also here is the full video from the hearing:

Harvard economist Jeffrey Miron estimates marijuana prohibition is costing the US $50 million a year.

There's literally no justification for outlawing marijuana. Cigarettes kill 5 million a year, alcohol is responsible for 88,000 deaths a year in the US alone. Both are legally sold every day, but we imprison people for smoking a doobie. Absurd.

I have a question that I would love the Hypesters' opinions on.

So my brother smokes cannabis. He smokes about 5 times a day (full joints) and recently he started "dabbing" (this is when a nail in a bong that's filled with water is heated up by a butane lighter and marijuana that's in hardened oil form is then placed on the hot nail and it instantly vaporizes with the water and turns into a water/smoke mix). According to my brother, it's a longer and higher high.

Now, he smoked before he went on a 5 hour highway drive and on the way back as well.

I'm curious as to the opinions of people on here whether my brother has crossed the line into abuse of marijuana. I don't care if he smokes, but I do care about if he smokes too much (he exhibits withdrawal symptoms when he doesn't smoke in a day). Also, I'm worried about how he "dabs" before he drives.

Any thoughts on this would help. Thanks.

Harvard economist Jeffrey Miron estimates marijuana prohibition is costing the US $50 million a year.

There's literally no justification for outlawing marijuana. Cigarettes kill 5 million a year, alcohol is responsible for 88,000 deaths a year in the US alone. Both are legally sold every day, but we imprison people for smoking a doobie. Absurd.

Well, we do live in a pretty screwed up country, and the leaders are not the best of the of the best.

So my brother smokes cannabis. He smokes about 5 times a day (full joints) and recently he started "dabbing" (this is when a nail in a bong that's filled with water is heated up by a butane lighter and marijuana that's in hardened oil form is then placed on the hot nail and it instantly vaporizes with the water and turns into a water/smoke mix). According to my brother, it's a longer and higher high.

Now, he smoked before he went on a 5 hour highway drive and on the way back as well.

I'm curious as to the opinions of people on here whether my brother has crossed the line into abuse of marijuana. I don't care if he smokes, but I do care about if he smokes too much (he exhibits withdrawal symptoms when he doesn't smoke in a day). Also, I'm worried about how he "dabs" before he drives.

Everyone has a different tolerance. If you have a high tolerance smoking five joints could have the same effect as a "lightweight" who smokes two.

But if your brother can barely function after smoking a single joint then he's probably getting really high throughout the day.

There's nothing wrong with that as long as:

1) He takes full care of his responsibilities

2) He doesn't neglect people he wants a long-term relationship with (including friends and family).

If he does #1 or 2 then he might need to cut back.

Ultimately practicing moderation is a personal choice and if he can't find enough convincing reasons to change, he won't change.

That's just my 2 cents. I'd be interested in others' opinions also.

Also "time you enjoy wasting is not wasted"

That's assuming he's responsible and not neglectful.

Everyone has a different tolerance. If you have a high tolerance smoking five joints could have the same effect as a "lightweight" who smokes two.

But if your brother can barely function after smoking a single joint then he's probably getting really high throughout the day.

There's nothing wrong with that as long as:

1) He takes full care of his responsibilities

2) He doesn't neglect people he wants a long-term relationship with (including friends and family).

If he does #1 or 2 then he might need to cut back.

Ultimately practicing moderation is a personal choice and if he can't find enough convincing reasons to change, he won't change.

That's just my 2 cents. I'd be interested in others' opinions also.
That's pretty much it. It really is as simple as that.

As far as driving goes it's hard to say. Personally I don't think it impairs reaction time or concentration or anything, but it does make me hella paranoid and I really don't like that so I don't do it.

But what applies to me doesn't necessarily apply to anyone else. Also the dabbing thing I've never heard of.

The thing is, dabbing is almost pure THC..for that reason I personally don't partake that much. I prefer the natural leaf. Dabbing can really trip you out and even though it doesn't kill you in and of itself, too much inebriation (of ANY substance) has proven to not be a good thing in the long run. It's fine to enjoy the effects, but you should do so with sense. (Like MessiahDecoy said, everything in moderation)

P.S. If he's having withdrawal symptoms from the dabbing, that's probably because he's smoking extracted THC. The reason smoking from the plant has no withdrawal/hangover symptoms I believe is because there are other naturally-occurring chemicals in the cannabis that prevent those feelings.

Hope this helps :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"