Discussion: UK Politics

I don't think Pincher was the cause, it was just a convenient excuse.
These politicians had stuck with him throughs dozens of scandals, various horrific examples of cruel, shameful decisions. They stayed loyal because they despite all of it, they thought that he was a vote winner. Despite every atrocious thing he'd done they stood behind him, hoping he'd help them get re-elected.
But slowly the weight of it all seemed to be having an effect, the loss of the two by-elections suggesting he might be a liability rather than an asset. Of course by then it was too late to use Party-gate or against him, too many of them were vulnerable to being hit with it too.
Pincher was something that could be laid squarely on Johnson and Johnson alone. So they took the opportunity to ditch him.
This wasn't about principles, anyone who had been loyal to Johnson this long have none. This was motivated by survival.

Rishi Sunak is apparently standing to be next Prime Minister.

Rishi Sunak is apparently standing to be next Prime Minister.
Lets replace that guy who was fined for partying during lockdown with... another guy who was fined for partying during lockdown

Ben Wallace Defence Secretary was the initial favourite with the bookies but he has announced he’s not running.

Hopefully Labor can put out a better candidate. :o
Looks like it’s Starmer for now until the next election unless he breaks any rules or anything. Feels like Labour have a shot after how bad Boris has been!

Never thought I would hear Boris Johnson say the words "Them's the Breaks"

Zahawi, who as an MP claimed thousands of pounds of public money in expenses to heat his stables.
Zahawi, who is currently under investigation by HMRC and last week was appointed Chancellor giving him control over... HMRC.
Not an ideal choice for PM.

Who is the least bad candidate is the real question.

In all seriousness, are we to expect another election in the near future?

In all seriousness, are we to expect another election in the near future?
Labour will want one as soon as possible but the Tories aren't obligated to have one till I believe Jan 2025. Unless an opportunity comes up where they think they can get a guaranteed win early they will probably leave it till then to get as much of the stink of Boris further in to the past.

Labour will want one as soon as possible but the Tories aren't obligated to have one till I believe Jan 2025. Unless an opportunity comes up where they think they can get a guaranteed win early they will probably leave it till then to get as much of the stink of Boris further in to the past.
Wiki tells me you are 100% correct.

Who is the least bad candidate is the real question.

I kind of feel if they get Truss in they lose a bit of the brexit Jesus thing Boris had going on. She was passionately remain.
I'm interested to see how far right candidates go what with the membership picking up quite a few bnp and ukippers in recent years.

I kind of feel if they get Truss in they lose a bit of the brexit Jesus thing Boris had going on. She was passionately remain.
I'm interested to see how far right candidates go what with the membership picking up quite a few bnp and ukippers in recent years.
I would want a candidate on the Remain side and far away from the right, but then a lot of the lost votes might go to Reform/UKIP instead of Labour and make them get taken a bit more seriously (as they were during European elections), which would be an even bigger disaster. I'm glad Boris is out but I want the new Tory leader announcement to be a bit of a non-event that doesn't create waves and push voters further right.

They don't need to call an election anytime soon, however often new PMs have one quickly to try to establish their legitimacy. Will depend on how secure the winner feels.

Post I saw described the Tory leadership contest as getting a menu of infectious diseases and having your dad pick for you.

Conservative leadership ballot: Sunak 88 Mordaunt 67 Truss 50 Tom Tugendhat 37 Badenoch 40 Braverman 32
Eliminated: Hunt 18 Zahawi 25

Feels like it's between Sunak, Mordaunt and Truss, with Badenoch the only outsider with a chance.

Sunak's got the problem of being closely associated with Johnson, while also being seen as a traitor by the Johnson loyalists.
I think they're going to go for someone with some distance, Mordaunt or Tugendhat maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"