Discussion: Voting Rights and Election Law

And the PA legislature is moving to impeach 4 judges who ruled against their gerrymandered map. Keeping one in order to keep quorum.

Of course they are. Their abuse of power has been ended and they are at desperate ends to keep it. They know they can't legitimately win an election so gerrymandering is their only recourse.

Isn't gerrymandering REGARDLESS of whom it favors bad? Or is it only bad if it favors conservatives?? Cause to me and many others i speak to, what those judges did to redraw the map up there, heavily favored the dems..

No, it's bad in general but the Republicans are currently the leader in gerrymandering the hell out of populations to suit their party. They "heavily favor Democrats" in that they no longer almost exclusively favor Republicans to the detriment of Democratic voters.

Isn't gerrymandering REGARDLESS of whom it favors bad? Or is it only bad if it favors conservatives?? Cause to me and many others i speak to, what those judges did to redraw the map up there, heavily favored the dems..

Compare the maps. The new map was much, much fairer. No more of these weird little squiggles in the district lines.

It may not be as fair, because, surprise, PA may have about an even split in terms of voters. Which is not represented in their legislature.

What the judges did was not gerrymandering...they simply took what WAS gerrymandering and corrected it :yay:

What the judges did was not gerrymandering...they simply took what WAS gerrymandering and corrected it :yay:

Which is probably why the Republicans gave no legal argument to defend the old, gerrymandered districts.

Compare the maps. The new map was much, much fairer. No more of these weird little squiggles in the district lines.

It may not be as fair, because, surprise, PA may have about an even split in terms of voters. Which is not represented in their legislature.

Fairer by who's PoV?

If you want voter IDs, here's what you do.

1. They're free! Absolutely zero cost to voters.

2. YOU (collectively) must go out into the communities to make them available to EVERYONE. That's around 235,248,000 people. This will mean setting up offices in EVERY one of the 43,000 zip codes in the country. (The more heavily populated ones will need multiple offices.) AND provide transportation for those who cannot get there on their own. (Disabled, elderly, poor)

3. You (again, collectively) most then maintain the records for all 235,248,000 voters.

4. Employ non-partisan staff at not only all of these locations but, at polling locations as well to ensure that people don't vote without their free ID.

Or, since voter fraud is statistically non-existent, leave it alone and save a ton of money without disenfranchising voters.

I wonder when the GOP will drop the pretense that they believe in democracy.

Haven't they already dropped it? Everywhere they are in charge or losing they hobble the Democratic opposition.

It’s not like the House and General Assembly can force it on the ballot like they did before midterms. Cooper will simply veto it since they lost their super majority.

Good news for once.

Forcing a re-election and now this? NC is getting back on track.

The idea that we are having a re-election is in itself, messed up. Like.. in any competition, when one side cheats..you don't have a do-over. It's a forfeit. The other side wins by default.

The controversy was always going to mean a good chance at a pick up.

Ahh, the old "health reasons". Not "the party told me to gtfo".

You can only be so blatant in fixing an election before even the Republicans say it is too much.

The controversy was always going to mean a good chance at a pick up.

Ahh, the old "health reasons". Not "the party told me to gtfo".

He supposedly has a surgery scheduled for the end of next month and had two small strokes last month.

Either way, good riddance.

They act indignant when called out on their attempts to derail the legally approved reinstatement of felons rights.

They continue to get bolder and bolder.

Yeah, totally not about voter suppression there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"