Disney Launching Their Own Streaming Service. Canceling Netflix Partnership.

Discussion in 'The Defenders' started by Dasher10, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Dasher10

Dasher10 I'm like Deadpool IRL

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-disney-earnings-20170808-story.html

What does this mean for future seasons of the MCU Netflix shows? And what does this mean for future potential street-level heroes?

Does this mean that Season 2 of Iron Fist will be the last MCU season on Netflix? Will future seasons shift to Disney's new streaming service or will all the shows be canceled? Does this mean that we won't ever manage to see certain street level heroes like Moon Knight, Shang Chi and Blade in their own series? Does this preclude Elektra getting her own spin-off? If a Moon Knight series happens, will he be able to interact with other street-level heroes?

2. Jedi Arrow

Jedi Arrow Vigilant Knight

Isn't something similar happening with DC? Justice League and the other animated shows are all leaving Netflix. But the CW shows are staying. I'd wager the Netflix-exclusive shows will stay too.

3. Spiderine

Spiderine Sho nuff

Does this have something to do with Netflix purchase of Millarworld? Or was this already in the cards?

4. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

There's a possibility that the street level Marvel heroes could remain on Netflix, as Iger hasn't determined whether or not Marvel or Lucasfilm content will be part of the streaming service. But my guess is that Mr. Castle's program will be the last new series in the Marvel Netflix Universe, which will wind down over the next couple of years left in the deal.

I could see Shang-Chi, Blade and Moon Knight ending up on the new streaming service, part of the cinematic MCU, or beamed directly into our skulls through the latest technology.

5. Dasher10

My main worry is that a Moon Knight series or Elektra spin-off is now impossible. We're getting four series next year, which likely means only 2 in 2019. It would make sense to do four a year with new Elektra and Moon Knight rounding out the Netflix lineup.

Blade and Ghost Rider need their own network which could expand to also include Man-Thing and Werewolf By Night if successful.

Shang Chi needs to be its own thing and be self-contained with a handful of cast members from Agents of SHIELD showing up and the events of Doctor Strange referenced but otherwise be far more grounded than anything else in the MCU and marketed heavily to Asian audiences overseas.

But no Moon Knight or Elektra solo series is a travesty. And they may now be completely impossible thanks to studio politics.

6. Dasher10

Anyway, if it were up to me, I'd honestly look to expand the Netflix slate with Moon Knight and Elektra as the last two shows which would bring the total up to 8 shows with 4 per year. Then cancel them as ratings drop and not replace them but fold their casts into other series or the MCU films as time passes. Possibly move the series to the new Disney streaming service post-cancellation.

Make the first Marvel series for the Disney streaming service Power Pack, Avengers Academy and Champions and then get them cross over.

Use the Disney streaming platform for Shang Chi since that would be marketed as, "the Marvel Cinematic Universe but without continuity issues or crossovers." It would be a fully self-contained series that would pick up where Agents of SHIELD leaves off but ultimately go in its own direction with its own tone. If the new Disney streaming service is meant to expand globally, then by the time Agents of SHIELD concludes, the platform should be opening up to Asian markets and Shang Chi should be the killer app that gets Asian customers to purchase a subscription.

Marvel horror should possibly go on the Marvel streaming service, possible go somewhere else. It doesn't fit with the Avengers or Guardians so I don't see films in the works.

They aren't gritty crime stories so they don't belong on Netflix.

They aren't aimed at teenagers so they aren't series that I can see on Freeform or Hulu.

They aren't family friendly enough for ABC.

One of the four Ghost Riders is already cast and it feels like a cop-out to not move forward with him or introduce the other riders. A Ghost Rider series would be too dark for ABC so Marvel horror really needs its own network.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Does anyone know how the contracts are set up on the Netflix shows? Does Netflix have any ownership or exclusivity period on them at all?

I can't sort of buy that Disney is starting it's own streaming service and won't try to put their darker more adult Marvel shows on there. Arguably that's something they'd want to sell the service.

But Netflix helped co-produce these shows on some level or co-financed them.

Is this deal strictly taking off the movies? Obviously deals are in place for Defenders, Punisher, and likely second seasons of Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Jessica Jones and DDS3. But what about after that? I still need my Moon Knight series.

8. zenith16

zenith16 Well-Known Member

Well, the tv show about time travel called traveler's which stared Dylan mc Dermit was on net flix for the United states. but it's been in normal tv channel's like showcase ( the Canadian version of the show time channel " which you all have in the states) and more recently global up here in Canada during this summer period.

now I've seen this been said recently else where like places like Newsarama .
    Quote:
    It means nothing. Netflix isn't the Writer/Producer/director,, Marvel Studios is. Netflix just buys the product of them, the same as every other "Netflix Original" Netflix really is just the platform for the media in this case. : end quote.

Which to some people mean Net flix is a video distributer.

Truth be told the only people that can say for sure are the people involved which are marvel producer jeb lobe or Q or net flix's net work heads.

yeah there's Disney too, but it's those two before them. And this is likely to be the same as normal tv contract's it depends on what was in the contents of their contract certain deal vary and aren't all the same . It's very likely they will still remain on net flix's. But we'll just see what happen's

9. TheVileOne

The Marvel Netflix shows are exclusive to Netflix. It wouldn't be unbelievable for them to have some sort of exclusivity period or broadcasting rights period to prevent them from selling reruns or something to another channel.

Also, let's not forget. After Disney bought Star Wars, Clone Wars got pulled. They put the new Star Wars shows on their channels. Disney didn't want other channels showing their content when they had the means to show Star Wars cartoons on their own networks and family of channels.

If Disney wants to really sell its own premium subscription service, I find it hard to believe they won't want to sell similar shows like the Marvel Netflix series at some point down the line. Maybe they will have to honor the current shows that are set up, but we will have to wait and see how this pans out.

10. Dasher10

So, how do we react if all the future Marvel seasons are hits with the ratings but we get zero renewals for existing series? As in Iron Fist Season 2 is the last we see of the street-level heroes?

As in everything gets canceled but audiences clearly wanted to see more?

11. zenith16

yes this is all true but as I said it depends onthe contract .

Tho They have a contract with Netflix. It dosen't really work like that. If They have agreed on (x-amount of episodes) They can't scratch that contract untill the deal is over…Well that is if ether marvel or Disney dosen't want to pay alot of money any more or just want move on , and if Netflix still owns the right to the marvel series They have now.

we don't know the full details there withthe contract's and each has their own thing contract wise be it normal tv or net flix others like crave tv etc. . and only the people invovled can trully say for sure.

12. Micromind

Micromind New World New Rules

Disney will pull its movies from Netflix and start its own streaming services

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/dis...lix-and-start-its-own-streaming-services.html

They will most probably get those shows on their own streaming service once it becomes well known.

13. zenith16

They also may be doing this incase they are any screw-up and marvel or Disney still see potential in the show still. But their partner at net flix have lost faith in the series. We'll have to see. right now Iron fist got a second chance cause people went to the first season and watched beside it being bad and put the rating up and got it's it' second chance where they are doing thing's in the both the defenders and his second season to remedy what went wrong. but that won't happen all the and we've seen with the normal tv the studio heads are even less patient and cancel on the spot even when it's their own fault and not the show runners. but it's the shows that suffer's. So this may be a protective thing and way to have control incase cause there were case's of interference like with Dc shows contantine .

14. TheVileOne

15. zenith16

One other thing to think about and consider. Net flix did buy Millar world comic's to make shows of. So net flix's may say you know what we don't need you any more . so marvel may be doing this for that protective reason as well. if another oweird failure happens .

16. TheVileOne

They can't really say that and say they want no piece of the Marvel brand.

And if that was true, they wouldn't be producing shows like Judge Dredd and The Witcher either.

17. zenith16

Well let just remember what happened when regime change happened with normal tv networks like G4 the tried to turn it's self in the the GQ channel and started cancelling all the cool video game and useful tech understands shows. which are all still alive cause they made sure to stay independent or started something new to continue and my youngest sister showed me a channel recently that was showing repeat of supernatural and other show andit was a fashion channel which was more battling. if it was for weirdness like this with studio's heads. and who knows what might happen with regime change, with net flix or a fallout due to one show. The point is marvel has been screwed over already in both movies and games industry and certain tv networks new head have shown to be very overly fickle with superhero shows and cancel good shows and there that mess up with JMS's senes 8 with the expense which was on net flix.

There's a lot of people appointed to heads of things of late doing crazy things. Recently. And are running things into the ground.

Anyway's, this maybe marvels just bracing it's self. Cause they been screwed over and may have seen signs. we're not there to say that's not the case. but it's also likely the show's will stay on netflix awhile longer. we'll see

18. pixen

pixen Well-Known Member

It'd be stupid for Marvel/Disney to go to an unknown and small new platform after getting all its viewers on Netflix. If it does happen, it'll happen gradually and after the Disney streaming site has created a substantial amount of subscribers of the service and a decent site. I'd give it at least 3-4 years at the very earliest.

It's not like this Disney platform is going to have the HEAVY PG-13 shows on there. I see it more for their animation/family movie and shows. At least at the beginning.

19. Sithborg

Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I am pretty certain the Clone Wars cancellation was more along the shuttering of Lucasarts. Clone Wars was an EXPENSIVE show. CW was also going through their anti-action cartoon transition at the time as well. George Lucas was the only reason it didn't get cancelled.

20. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

*cough* I'd wait for the sky to start falling before crying wolf, so to speak. Note that the Netflix Marvel shows are more complicated than "contract with streaming service", since they aren't being streamed by Netflix, they are being *created* by Netflix. My guess is they aren't going anywhere, anymore than the ABC broadcast shows or Runaways on Hulu.

I also think there are good chances that Disney Streaming will either fail outright, or stick to a demographic niche of "Disney cartoons".

21. TheVileOne

Except ABC is part of Disney.

22. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

30% of Hulu too.

23. Dasher10

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisha...n-deal-isnt-as-bad-as-fans-fear/#5ed81f5571f0

Looks like fears were unfounded. This was Walt Disney Pictures and Pixar, not Marvel Studios. Films distributed by Walt Disney Pictures are affected but not TV shows produced by Marvel.

Also says that Marvel Studios can produce new shows which means we may still get Moon Knight in the MCU.

And keep in mind that Daredevil's ratings are off the charts. It's 10 million viewers. Those are Game of Thrones numbers. Canceling one of the most popular TV shows on the air would be commercial suicide for both companies. Not leaving the door open for more TV shows on the network is also stupid since Moon Knight and Elektra are also popular characters.

24. TheVileOne

Not sure how popular they are, but hey have potential to become popular shows for Netflix. Let's be honest, Elektra is very much a lesser known character in Marvel's catalog, but she can become a bigger deal. Same with Moon Knight.

Keep in mind, Elektra's big studio movie flopped.

25. zenith16

they flopped cause they were written bad movies and she was doing stuff inthe second movie which baffled people on how she let colen ferrel's bull eye kill her. and No matter how you like to look at or push it. his bull eye was terrble . but that had more to do with how that movie was made then the actor's .

But if onthe web it's self it's another animal when you look up Electra.

She's up there. she's not more popular then certain female x-men and some heroes. but she in a decent place. like where she hulk is.