Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Consideirng how good Once looks I doubt we'll have to worry about the effects with SHIELD. I think ABC sees this as their golden egg. Just look how the president gushed over it and even said that he is prioritizing it over other projects.

2. OB12

OB12 Well-Known Member

I'm not too concerned about the FX. I think what is important to remember is that this show will probably feature smaller, street-level heroes and villains. The FX needed to realize their powers effectively will be easily doable on a TV budget, especially one on ABC. Smallville, on a smaller network, was able to do certain things just fine, such as super strength. It was when they had to tackle other powers like energy projection or manipulation that you could see they were stretched.

3. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

I wouldn't worry too much. Heroes was a pretty deeply experimental show, while SHIELD is a spinoff of a mega hit movie. I'm pretty sure its going to get a solid budget.

4. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

I miss Heroes. The awesome first season, anyway. What a waste.

5. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

Heroes was never all that great, imo. Even from the pilot, the acting and dialogue were pretty terrible to me. It had one great episode written by the brilliant Bryan Fuller...who then left to create a far superior show (here's where I weep yet again for Pushing Daisies). That said, I hope the effects in SHIELD are more on par with that show and less with Once Upon a Time, because the CGI in Once is my absolute least favorite part about it. The FX seemed to improve a bit in S2, but in S1, they were sometimes downright atrocious.

Of course, SHIELD should be a little less dependent on green screen, so that should help.

6. Whiskey Tango

I got hooked bad. I loved it. I've said before that it had the same sense of mystery that made Lost so compelling early on. But then it peaked with Company Man and just... petered out.

I blame season 2 on the writers strike and everything after that is Loebs fault.

7. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

I could tell it desperately wanted to have that Lost feel, but I never felt it achieved it. And I think that largely stems from the creator/showrunner, Tim Kring, being literally the worst writer in his own writers' room.

LOL, I may not agree on S1, but I can always agree with this sentiment. If I wasn't so confident that Loeb will be leaving SHIELD's creative handling to Joss, Jed, Maurissa & Jeff, I'd be seriously worried for this show.

8. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Is that the reason Touch is so..... :dry:

9. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Well-Known Member

Did you watch Alphas? What did you think of that? I was also pretty hooked by season 1 of Heroes. Bought it on dvd. Then was pretty disappointed where it led. I am a pretty big fan of Alphas though. Also really dug the season 2 stuff of Dollhouse.

10. Whiskey Tango

Not seen Alphas but it's streaming on Netflix. I'll check it out. :up:

11. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

That's a pretty safe bet, lol.

12. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

I loved season one of Heroes and still feel like it was the closest thing to a true superhero TV show that we've ever been shown. Season two was a cluster**** that can't be entirely blamed on the writer's strike, IMO. The decision to kill off popular characters and systematically destroy or marginalize others originated from the producers. Jeph Loeb was one of the main architects of that destruction. Ergo, I blame him for everything. So did NBC; that's why they canned his show-killing ass.

If ever there was the perfect example of failing upwards, Loeb is it. Loeb's success is inexplicable. That guy has done nothing but **** things up for the last ten years, yet he keeps getting better gigs. I would not be surprised if he manages to get his hooks into SHIELD and drag that down into the sewer, too. Afterwards, he'll get promoted to president of ABC because that's how he rolls.

13. Whiskey Tango

From the Justice League News and Speculation thread.

14. Mr. Dent

I have seen nor heard about any of that. There's no way that would not be reported heavily on if it were true.

15. ThePowerCosmic

Yeah, I thought so.

16. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

I check the internet for CBM news almost everyday. If this is true Marvel must have been really quick and really strict about sites reporting the news.

17. Supermouse

Supermouse Active Member

If you liked Season 1 of Heroes, check out the 4400. It's a show that is shockingly similar to Heroes but came out years earlier. The first five episodes are very slow, especially after you've already seen Heroes, because they cover ALL the same ground.

Also, Alphaes is great, I've been meaning to catch Season 2 but haven't yet due to real life (Damned Inconvenient, I should really just get rid of it).

Hey, this is going to sound dumb, but if you want to see a show about Superheroes, No Ordinary Family is not bad. The first five episodes were cheesy and derivative, but once you meet the TK assassin and the family starts finding things out about the source of their powers, it starts getting really good.

18. Mr. Dent

JB I just realized your avy is the GotG concept art with Star-Lord's hat from the comics shopped on...that **** is hilarious to me for some reason.

19. Whiskey Tango

I'm not asking you to believe it. Merely quoting one of our illustrious "journalists".

20. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

21. Poni_Boy

Poni_Boy Well-Known Member

The photos and discussion that I saw with RDJ and Evans on the SHIELD set came from a woman I follow on Instagram who is a publicist out in LA and worked on the show. Not sure how to link to her specific profile on a computer but you can find her here:

http://instagram.com/poni_boy

Name is Amy Crodova. She's on my followers list. Only has like 20 people following her I think.

People only report the news they find. If no body who wants to report it finds it, it goes un-reported. Even the droves of writers at CBM can only report what they find. That's whey most of them stalk the same places over and over like forums and message boards where they know stuff leaks. But actually digging around to find people like that? Most writers don't bother because it's not worth the time.

Have at thee. That's the best I can do at this time of night.

22. ThePowerCosmic

Basically you're still saying you can't provide any direct evidence that what you're saying is true. Thanks for the instagram, though.

Of course, I was being sarcastic with that last sentence. You have all day to present the proof here tomorrow if you claim to be "tired" right now. As long as there's proof for a big claim like this, there's really no issue.

23. Whiskey Tango

That's the internet for you. Funny how critical one can be about someone else while doing the very same ****ing thing yourself.

24. ThePowerCosmic

It is funny, in a sad sort of way.

25. Poni_Boy

Poni_Boy Well-Known Member

What would you rather I do, make up some evidence to make you feel better?

It is what it is. I'm not trying to prove anything I'm only sharing the only info that I have available some people are specifically going out of their way to cry foul.

I don't usually care about set photos. I didn't post any of the spider-man ones these past few weeks. It's not really our thing. When I went back to look at the pic to show my girlfriend it was deleted. Didn't hear anything about it after that and I had completely forgotten about it till a discussion about three weeks ago. That's why it was fresh on my mind tonight.

Why on earth would I have mentioned it to begin with if it wasn't true? Is there some sort of geek cred that you get for making outlandish claims on a messagebaord at 3 in the morning? C'mon now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.