Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, actually, after I posted it, I realized that might be *exactly* the way they'll explain Coulson, as well as the reason this show will never (and *can* never) cross paths with the Avenger movies. Might even be part of Coulson's emotional arc, that it pains him to be forever separated from his true heroes.

And Coulson need not be an actual "guilty party." Everything we saw of him and his "death" in the Avengers could be taken at face value; it's just that instead of being taken away for a funeral (which, btw, was never shown or even implied), he's taken to a secret medical facility at Fury's orders, and when he finally recovers from his wounds, Fury tells him about the charade he created that they both have to maintain now.

Thats a good point. I was going to go with the old LMD thing. But your explanation makes that unnecessary. Nice!

Apparently Coulson is being bought back from the dead. Wonder how.

I am sure Fury will fit in somewhere in the explanation....
We probably won't know for sure until the tv show premieres...
Which is when exactly?

SHIELD must have access to all manner of experimental medical technology they could use to resuscitate a person who has died. Agents' employment contracts probably specify that in the event of their apparent death (whether brain death or merely the cessation of cardiac activity), SHIELD has the right to conduct experiments on the remains, including: the use of unconventional medical technology, zombification, nanotechnology, vampirism, induced lycanthropy, demonic possession, inhabitation by alien symbiote(s), transfer of consciousness into an android or cyborg body, meat puppetry, etc.

With options like those (and more) on the table, it would be easy to come up with a scenario that sees Agent Coulson returned from the great beyond physically intact and yet still somewhat the worse for wear. At the very least, the psychological ramifications of dying and being resurrected should be apparent in Phil's behavior.

Cause that rarely happens in the MU.

Yeah, I was lmao at the "firestorm" this news created amongst certain fanboys over at TheSiteWhichShallNotBeNamed. Brought a character back from the dead....? ZOMG, now the whole MCU is ruined! :wow:

...Those morons over there at TheOtherSite clearly never read Marvel Rule #1: Nobody really stays dead except Uncle Ben.

Well if Coulson is brought back, I hope that we see that somebody on the team besides Fury Like Tony or Steve finds out during the pilot.

Last edited:
Well if Coulson is brought back, I hope that we see that somebody on the team besides Fury Like Tony or Steve finds out during the pilot.
We won't see Fury or Steve, they're too "big".

That claim is vastly overstated; what Whedon said very likely just means that he's "bringing Coulson back from the dead" as in Coulson will really be alive in SHIELD, whether he actually died or not. I strongly suspect what he's actually saying is "Yes, it really is Coulson, not a clone, not an android, not a flashback, not a prequel." Not that Coulson was literally and explicitly clinically dead, and then magically resurrected.

any word on when the pilot is going to air?

We won't see Fury or Steve, they're too "big".

I'm not so sure.

I mean, it's going to be harder to explain away Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Captain America's absence (now that he's going to be more involved with SHIELD in CA:TWS) in a SHIELD show than it is in films like Iron Man 3 and Thor:TDW.

Will we see Tony Stark, Thor, or Hulk in SHIELD? Probably not, and there's honestly no reason for them to be there. Tony is off doing his own thing, Thor is in Asgard, and Banner is probably in hiding again. No need for them in this show.

PLUS, Sam Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Chris Evans will be filming Cap while SHIELD will be filming their episodes for the upcoming season. I see no reason why they couldn't work out a schedule for them to shoot a few small scenes for the show around filming scenes for the movie. Really, it could end up working out perfectly!

Last edited:
any word on when the pilot is going to air?
It's expected to premiere in the fall, which means we probably won't get an actual premiere date until the Upfronts in May, when all the networks unveil their fall schedules.

I'm not so sure.

I mean, it's going to be harder to explain away Nick Fury, Black Widow, and Captain America's absence (now that he's going to be more involved with SHIELD in CA:TWS) in a SHIELD show than it is in films like Iron Man 3 and Thor:TDW.

Will we see Tony Stark, Thor, or Hulk in SHIELD? Probably not, and there's honestly no reason for them to be there. Tony is off doing his own thing, Thor is in Asgard, and Banner is probably in hiding again. No need for them in this show.

PLUS, Sam Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, and Chris Evans will be filming Cap while SHIELD will be filming their episodes for the upcoming season. I see no reason why they couldn't work out a schedule for them to shoot a few small scenes for the show around filming scenes for the movie. Really, it could end up working out perfectly!

I hope that would be the case or maybe they have extra unused footage they could use from CA TWS

Just thought about something interesting. If this were to be picked up for a full season order, then it would run through Thor 2 and, more specifically, Cap 2, which has a very big SHIELD presence in it, almost to the point of being a SHIELD movie. I can't imagine Marvel not attempting do some kind of overlap, especially for Cap 2...I mean, they even hired an ABC lead star to play Sharon Carter.

I think if they did, it would be one big "special" episode.

Just thought about something interesting. If this were to be picked up for a full season order, then it would run through Thor 2 and, more specifically, Cap 2, which has a very big SHIELD presence in it, almost to the point of being a SHIELD movie. I can't imagine Marvel not attempting do some kind of overlap, especially for Cap 2...I mean, they even hired an ABC lead star to play Sharon Carter.

I think if Van Camp is playing Sharon Carter, then there is probably a good possibility that she could appear on the show. Just as you mentioned, Thor 2 and Cap 2 would premier during the airing of SHIELD, so I would expect some overlap and references to these films. It would be quite exciting.

It would be awesome if Robert Redford could make an appearance in SHIELD, but he doesn't really do TV.

I hope Emily VanCamp does show up though, as well as Anthony Mackie and any other cast member in Cap 2.

After people see the show, they’ll have some clue as to why I’m still there, still breathing. But I don’t think they’ll know everything…
Interesting, makes me wonder if his resurrection will be like a big, unraveling thingy.

Man, I really hope this series delves into the supernatural aspects of the MCU...

Well I certainly don't think they'll be going for gritty realism, lol.

Maybe Mephisto has a hand in it. Whedon loves his demons, after all. Demons or super science, that's what I'm hoping for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"