Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeno000

xeno000 IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

There is no reason to assume that Richards in playing that random man in the street from The Avengers on the SHIELD show. It was a 5 second blink and you missed it moment that very few people caught, though it will be pointed out endlessly now.

2. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

I'm not sure I even believe that's him, to be honest. :o

3. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Well even if that is him in the Avengers, that could be him in a pre-super powered form. They can always explain it away that way.

4. xeno000

I saw this posted on SHIELDTV.net. It looks as if ABC is going to greenlight the series, though we already knew that. :word:

The new synopsis gives a better overview of the show's focus. The fact that they are concentrating on how normal human beings react to the very abnormal world of superheroes, gods and monsters is a rather unique spin. And superheroes are specifically mentioned, which should put an end to the worries that there aren't going to be any in the series (but probably won't).

5. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Anyone getting Star Trek vibes from the synopsis?

-Agent Coulson's mission: To lead a highly trained team and tackle strange new cases
    -Captain Kirk's mission: To lead a highly trained crew to discover strange new worlds

lol

6. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

Eh... there are plenty of genre shows with a similar concept.

7. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

I'm only speculating here. We'll find out by the time the pilot premieres so until then it doesn't even matter.

I thought about that too, but, assuming Joss has him as the exact same character and assuming that's actually him, it's the wife part they'd have to explain away. It could just be his sister.

8. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Or a girlfriend he since broke up with. But even if it's his wife, they can always have her that she's not approving of his superheroic or supervillainous career.

But in all these shows like Star Trek, they've frequently gotten the same actor back again for a different role, especially if the character was only a minor one that they originally played - eg Tom Paris, Tuvok, Neelix, Quark, Rom, etc. So I don't think they'll even bother with whether Richards was in Avengers or not if he's a different character.

9. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

No, he isn't.
    The "Celebration Interviewee" is played by William Christopher Stephens.

Wouldn't have ruled out Luke Cage, since Cage is famously and happily married. Of course, Jessica Jones is white, so.

Anyway, despite actually being 40 years old, Richards looks young enough to play a teenager....I still think he's Cloak. I also conducted a seance with the ghost of Roger Wardell and I see more casting news for this show soon: look for a spoiled little rich white girl soon....:cwink:

10. Mr. Dent

11. OB12

OB12 Well-Known Member

It sure seems like this show has been picked up what with the casting of Richards, the name change and the hiring of more writers. I imagine we will continue to get a steady stream of info over the next couple of months. I can't wait to see some stills.

12. Mr. Dent

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an announcement of the show being picked up in the next two or three weeks.

13. OB12

OB12 Well-Known Member

Also, I'm going to say that the name change may, in part, be to help distinguish this show from the former show 'The Shield'.

14. Sawyer

Sawyer High King

That's possible.

15. Mr. Dent

Yeah, also to help make it clear that this show is about the people, not the organization.

16. blalex620

blalex620 Comics, Books, Games

I think it's also a nod to the fans seeings as most of the time SHIELD agents are referred to specifically as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

And we also forgot about Patriot being a potential character Richards could be playing as well. If he looks young enough to play Cloak he could play Patriot too.

17. flickchick85

flickchick85 Loose Seal

I was gonna say, that really doesn't look or sound like him to me.

18. xeno000

Also, calling the show Marvel's The Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D not only gives it that Marvel Studios cachet but also ties the show to Marvel's The Avengers. Viewers who aren't CBM fans like us, those who haven't followed the development of the series, will be cued in to the tie between the show and the third biggest blockbuster of all time. Disney isn't taking the chance that the show will fail to attract the interest of prospective viewers simply because they aren't aware of its connection to the MCU.

19. Mr. Dent

The show was already set to be called Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D. before this.

Another thing, this probably leaves them more wiggle room to make an actual S.H.I.E.L.D. movie down the line if the time where it makes sense ever comes.

20. Whiskey Tango

Whiskey Tango Well-Known Member

I want some footage dammit. or at least some promo pics.

21. SHIELDtv

SHIELDtv Level 8 S.H.I.E.L.D Agent

Hi all.. new here and wow what a challenge reading through this entire thread..

I just wanted to say, Alan Tudyk is in the show. I know 'cause he was on set so it must be true.

Kidding :cwink: (though he did post about being on set one day).

Richards wasn't just cast, he was actually around when the pilot was being filmed back in January, but everyone on the show is being so super secretive about everything and it's only just come out now. I do believe there's a lot more secrets being kept - but I think it highly unlikely anyone would be posting pictures from the set because they appear to have been under serious lock-down to prevent just that, I'm sure EVERYONE on set knew full well they were not to ever post any hints whatsoever and certainly not any photos that showed actors.

22. SHIELDtv

I don't think it's safe to say they're "hiring new writers" just yet. We have heard (I think it was ABC Pres. Paul Lee that said it but I'd have to look it up to confirm) that Joss is actually already writing on more episodes so I think it's a "given" for while that this will go to series (it just makes too much sense not to) but some of the information that's leaking out is not really "new" information, just information we haven't heard about yet because they're being so darn secretive.

ETA:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  23. Mr. Dent

SHIELDtv confirmed for insider.

24. SHIELDtv

"Confirmed for insider"?

25. xeno000

Welcome to the Hype! I love your site but I feel kinda creepy because I already follow you on Tumblr. :ninja: :cwink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.