Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
No more lock and key, huh? Yeah, we'll see something May 14th, if not before.

That contradicts Deadline's "no buzz" statement, but it's not surprising.
That Deadline report was from 5 days ago. If she just made that tweet, then it's entirely possible that people are just now starting to see footage this week. Or even earlier today. So not necessarily a contradiction.

Also, RE: timeslot talk - Tuesday or Thursday at 8, please. None of this Sunday nonsense. Sunday @ 9 is literally the worst possible timeslot of the week for me, lol.

Last edited:
Thursday at 8 would be bad news for it too. It hasn't worked out for a show on ABC in years, and it'd be going head to head with BBT. Any self-respecting nerd should choose SHIELD, but who knows...

Thursday at 8 would be bad news for it too. It hasn't worked out for a show on ABC in years, and it'd be going head to head with BBT. Any self-respecting nerd should choose SHIELD, but who knows...
I'll take Tuesday then, I'm not picky. Just NO SUNDAY.

Tues makes the most sense. I mean, what would be the competition then? Nothing.

NCIS is kind of a ratings juggernaut

Ugh, I forgot about that nursing home drivel... :o

What are they heavy hitters on Sunday at 9 in the fall? Breaking bad should be wrapped up by then, so should Dexter. Walking Dead and Once Upon a time are at 8 right? So i'm guessing its going up against Homeland?..and of course Sunday night Football

T"Challa;25564625 said:
What are they heavy hitters on Sunday at 9 in the fall? Breaking bad should be wrapped up by then, so should Dexter. Walking Dead and Once Upon a time are at 8 right? So i'm guessing its going up against Homeland?..and of course Sunday night Football
Walking Dead is at 9. And SHIELD wouldn't just be in the fall, though. Being a typical network show would make it go from Sept-May. Which means throughout the year, it would find itself up against Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, etc...that's pretty much THE prime slot for the big cable networks' "marquee" shows. AND Sunday Night Football.

TWD is at 9.

You're right..i was thinking Central Time..damn, none of these timeslots are particularly conducive. I dont want this going up against NCIS or anywhere near TWD

Walking Dead is at 9. And SHIELD wouldn't just be in the fall, though. Being a typical network show would make it go from Sept-May. Which means throughout the year, it would find itself up against Game of Thrones, Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Boardwalk Empire, etc...that's pretty much THE prime slot for the big cable networks' "marquee" shows. AND Sunday Night Football.

lol..well, scratch Sunday then

I think it would be far better off going against NCIS, tbh. TWD is the highest-rated cable drama in history, and they kind of have a monopoly on the geek audience (and when they're on at the same time as Game of Thrones like they were just recently? All other shows should just forget about showing up, lol). With NCIS, yes, they have a huge audience, but it's not so much the same audience SHIELD will be going after.

The older audience who like procedurals is basically the exact audience they'll need for the show to break out, though. Nielsen-wise, at least. And NCIS regularly destroys everything that's put up against it

I think Thursday at 8 is the best of the three slots to be honest

I'd agree, but it's become known as something of a "cursed" slot for ABC, so I'd be a little worried. It's a shame they can't move Grey's Anatomy to 8pm since its audience is well-established and put SHIELD after it at 9. But I'm sure that's not an option.

Last edited:
That contradicts Deadline's "no buzz" statement, but it's not surprising.

Deadline isn't exactly the most reliable source of info.

I think they were just wrong in saying there's no "buzz" the press has been talking about the show plenty, even if there AREN'T any specifics available because nobody has seen it yet everyone is talking about it plenty. I don't think anything has changed. I think internally places like Variety are just speculating about the show the same way we are as fans.

I won't be surprised if we see this on Thursdays. I know a lot of people say it's a death slot and nothing has survived there in years, but the fact is, ABC WANTS something to succeed in every time slot they have available, truth is S.H.I.E.L.D. may be the best chance they have of turning that time slot around.

I think it would be far better off going against NCIS, tbh. TWD is the highest-rated cable drama in history, and they kind of have a monopoly on the geek audience (and when they're on at the same time as Game of Thrones like they were just recently? All other shows should just forget about showing up, lol). With NCIS, yes, they have a huge audience, but it's not so much the same audience SHIELD will be going after.
GoT and TWD only air at the same time once a year though...and this was the first year it happened actually.

But yes, Tuesday at nine is probably the best slot.

I think they were just wrong in saying there's no "buzz" the press has been talking about the show plenty, even if there AREN'T any specifics available because nobody has seen it yet everyone is talking about it plenty. I don't think anything has changed. I think internally places like Variety are just speculating about the show the same way we are as fans.
Deadline's article was part of a regular series they do during pilot season, specifically about "buzz" only as it relates to what network insiders have actually SEEN. Not media coverage about a show in general. In that sense, they were saying there was no buzz only because no one had seen footage from SHIELD yet. It would seem based on that Variety writer's tweet from today, that's no longer the case.

Deadline is only just behind The Hollywood Reporter and Variety on the "reliable" scale. That is, in the "buzz" business, pretty darn reliable.

Last edited:

tumblr_m8cvc4jUEG1qd14xy.gif

It would seem based on that Variety writer's tweet from today, that's no longer the case.

I don't get that from that tweet at all, don't think there's anything to indicate she, or anyone else at Variety has actually seen anything from the S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot yet. Obviously it's possible I'm wrong, I just think it's a bit of a stretch to take that away from that tweet. She says "hearing it's meant to be..." which was stated by ABC pres Paul Lee back at the Jan press meeting not something that's just been discovered after someone watched it.

One thing I do find interesting however is that the Variety reporter's tweet first came to my attention when Tony Eng (assistant director on S.H.I.E.L.D. ) retweeted it, but that retweet has since disappeared.

Last edited:
Deadline is probably the single most reliable source of info though, lol. Marvel has actually fed Deadline some of their scoops directly over the years.

And yeah, when they're talking about "buzz" they're talking about internal reactions from network insiders and test screenings, not media noise. SHIELD definitely has generated plenty of media noise :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"