Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every part of it is Marvel, as it's a Marvel production.

Do you also freak out about comics like Secret Warriors or Young Avengers or Hickman's SHIELD that introduce and focus on a dozen or so new characters within the framework of Marvel?

I see the early seasons being like Smallville. They had Chloe who wasn't a comic creation and also freaks of the week. Later however they did introduce Lois and many other DC characters almost every week once the show had become established. I think eventually we could see quite a number of comic characters but maybe later.

He has not made that clear at all. What he has made clear is that he wants to make a show that can stand on its own while honoring the source material. Stop taking his statements and twisting them to fit your pessimistic view.

What "source material?" That's *exactly* my point --- there IS no source material, neither from the MCU nor Marvel Comics. It might as well be "Heroes" or "No Ordinary Family," because so far, only the name "SHIELD" and "Agent Coulson" have anything resembling a connection to Marvel Studios and/or Comics.

Oh quit your whining. The lead characters may not be comic characters, but you have absolutely no way of knowing just how deep in Marvel lore this will be. FFS, the show is centered around SHIELD! The SHIELD organization of the movies. So, to say there's no material from the MCU is just silly.

scarjo_popcorn.gif

Oh quit your whining. The lead characters may not be comic characters, but you have absolutely no way of knowing just how deep in Marvel lore this will be. FFS, the show is centered around SHIELD! The SHIELD organization of the movies. So, to say there's no material from the MCU is just silly.

This, plus he's judging before seeing an actual episode. Or watching any of it seeing how the story in the show advances or connects to the MCU. He's already got his mind set so let him cry, Cherokee then don't watch the show.

What "source material?" That's *exactly* my point --- there IS no source material, neither from the MCU nor Marvel Comics. It might as well be "Heroes" or "No Ordinary Family," because so far, only the name "SHIELD" and "Agent Coulson" have anything resembling a connection to Marvel Studios and/or Comics.
"Aside from the show's entire premise and lead character it's not connected to those movie's it's connected to"

I agree it's a slight overreaction. Whedon's just talking about establishing the cast. Like Chewy said, Runaways, YA etc. all introduced new characters but were plenty Marvelicious.

All us lurkers:
25yy8mf.jpg

It always creeps me out a little when I'm reminded that there are a lot of people who read forums but rarely if ever post.

It isn't the same as someone watching you through a window at night, but it's still a little BRRRR!

I'm sorry you feel that way, Whiskey Tango. I mainly try to post when I have something to add, which is rarely. :p

"not a ton" of familiar faces from the marvel-verse =/= NO familar faces from the marvel-verse. If anything, he is simply saying that there will be minimum characters from marvel. minimum does not mean none.

that is all

lol! Yes! thats me. :p
cherokee, man, ease up. we havent seen a single thing from this show yet. not even official set pictures. we have absolutely nothing to judge.

Nothing except what Whedon says in his interviews.

However, Whedon then reiterates prior comments that the pilot (and potential series) will focus on original characters, rather than a "ton" of familiar faces (though "there’s a little bit of talk of that"). "Right now, I want to involve people in the characters that we’ve created for the show, and then we’ll worry about [the other stuff]."

You have to bring a bit of spectacle to [S.H.I.E.L.D.]; it's got to be bigger than your average cop show,” he said. “But at the end of the day, it's about the peripheral people. It's about the people on the edges of the grand adventures. The whole point of the show is that even with all these big things, the little things matter. It's about people who don't have super powers. There will be some people with powers, there will be FX, and there will be the spectacle of science-fiction storytelling — but all played on a very human, small level. That's the appeal of the thing.”

“The storyline for the proposed series will be largely "autonomous" from the "Avengers" sequel feature. The series will revolve around the activities of the SHIELD org governing body for the superheroes featured in "Avengers.”

Joss whedon on Avengers ABC pilot-- don't call it a spinoff, its a SHIELD thing and meant to be "autonomous" to the film storylines.

altho joss reserves right to pepper in bits here and there. His bro Jed and Maurissa T. will be showrunners, he'll just show up ...

Every now and then "and take credit for everything," Joss assures.

Eh, you guys go ahead and circle the wagons and brand me a heretic all you like. You all know damn well I'm as Marvelite as they come, and I have faith in Joss Whedon the storyteller. But I *don't* have faith (yet) in his brother and associates who seem to insist on distancing themselves from the movies and comics to create their own playground. Nor do I have faith that they're going to find an audience with that approach.

Time will tell. I have high hopes for this series; I don't want to see it getting mishandled by TV wonks who have yet to figure out a good way to use the genre appropriately on the small screen.

He's probably just being...don't know the word for it, but I am like that too. Trying to not get your hopes up for something you REALLLLY want. Drill into your head that it's not going to be how it is, to save yourself from dissappointment. So that way, when..whatever it is comes, you won't be bummed out. Weird, I do that a lot to. Overly preparing for the worst......

and wtf does the H stand for when people say Jesus H Christ lol

He's probably just being...don't know the word for it, but I am like that too. Trying to not get your hopes up for something you REALLLLY want. Drill into your head that it's not going to be how it is, to save yourself from dissappointment. So that way, when..whatever it is comes, you won't be bummed out. Weird, I do that a lot to. Overly preparing for the worst......

and wtf does the H stand for when people say Jesus H Christ lol

Holy.
Or Herbert.
Protestants and Catholics have fought bloody wars and killed thousands of people over the actual answer to that question.

So essentially, there isn't really an answer lol. Ah the crusades.

Religion. The early form of government lol

As far as I can tell this is going to be a good show. If the go the Smallville route of the show that would be good. The only changes would have to be not waiting 4 seasons to establish more people from the universe, they'd have to do it in the first season to let the GA know the show is connected but from there handle it the way they want and not make semi-horrible adaptions of the characters they introduce like Smallville did.

There will be an appearance by an established Marvel character who hasn't yet appeared on film no later than the third episode. Calling it now.

I think they may be an appearance by a SHIELD character from the comics at some stage. I don't know if it will be a well known hero though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"