Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What will annoy me is if Luke Cage turns up as a C list!

Can't say my interest in this series has been at level 10,but at least it'll be good to see Coulson back in action.:woot:

Arrow and TWD are starting to push the limits. And don't underestimate how much money will be pored into this show..we're talking about something that has the potential to pull in upwards of 16-20 million views on a network like ABC with its pedigree, not to mention because it's a "nerdy" comic show the home media sales will be through the roof, along with all the other merchandising. Then there's syndication, where it should also be really successful thanks to the all ages accessibility the show will have. We're talking a certified money printing monster here. On top off all that they already have so many resources and stock CGI that they can use from the films that saving costs on effects won't be hard.

I don't doubt it'll be very successful, but Arrow and TWD are doing entirely practical effects. That's what allows them to do more action and actually sustained action scenes and keep the kind of production schedule a weekly show needs. That's not an option for SHIELD. The time just isn't there.

On the money issue, they're not going to reuse footage from the movies, both because of the distribution rights issues as well as it's tacky. They're not going to make a show that's going to be in the hole until the DVD's come out. If it's not profitable as it's coming out, then it will be cancelled before any syndication or merchandising can happen.

And even if it is by far the biggest and most successful scripted show of all time pulling in 20 million viewers a week, they're not going to spend that success breaking even trying to make an action show with movie-level special effects. They're going to get good character writing and use the CGI and other action to tell a good story that will keep those 20 million people tuning in week after week to see what happens next, regardless of if it looks cooler than last week or not. More cost effective, and has proven successful with Lost, Heroes, Spartacus, TWD and all the shows SHIELD aspires to be like.

I don't expect to see cameos from "the big guns" of the big screen; but I *do* expect to see comic-book cameos from a lot of C-list and D-list heroes and villains from the Marvel Universe.
Yeah, given Arrow's success with adapting some outside DC characters into its show, I would expect it too. I just hope they're not TOO adapted. After the MCU showed its ability to stick pretty closely to the comic book looks for its main heroes, it would be sad if the cameos in this show were all Arrow-ized.

Yeah, given Arrow's success with adapting some outside DC characters into its show, I would expect it too. I just hope they're not TOO adapted. After the MCU showed its ability to stick pretty closely to the comic book looks for its main heroes, it would be sad if the cameos in this show were all Arrow-ized.

I will be totally shocked if we do not get a good amount of references and appearances from the larger Marvel Universe. It seems like we will be following a group of largely made up SHIELD agents, but I believe that a lot of the interactions will be with established characters. I could see Hyrda and AIM playing a large roles and my guess is we will be introduced to a fair amount of street-level superheroes.

On the money issue, they're not going to reuse footage from the movies, both because of the distribution rights issues as well as it's tacky. They're not going to make a show that's going to be in the hole until the DVD's come out. If it's not profitable as it's coming out, then it will be cancelled before any syndication or merchandising can happen.
I didn't say reuse footage, I said use the CGI models designed for the films. Not the same thing. As for distribution rights, they've brought that up in interviews but they also said there's a good chance they will be able to use the models from the Avengers onwards. Also, we all know this won't tank so let's not even consider that as a possibility. It will get great ratings.

And even if it is by far the biggest and most successful scripted show of all time pulling in 20 million viewers a week, they're not going to spend that success breaking even trying to make an action show with movie-level special effects. They're going to get good character writing and use the CGI and other action to tell a good story that will keep those 20 million people tuning in week after week to see what happens next, regardless of if it looks cooler than last week or not. More cost effective, and has proven successful with Lost, Heroes, Spartacus, TWD and all the shows SHIELD aspires to be like.
I didn't mean that it will average 20 million views an ep, though I do think the pilot itself will pull in at around that number. I'm expecting Big Bang Theory numbers around 14-16 million average.

And I agreed with you that the main draw of the series will be based around the characters and plot. I just think you're underestimating the production values that the show will have. You're using past precedents to categorize this show but this will be, by all means, an unprecedented show in itself. I'm not saying that the production values will movie-quality, not even close, but I do think they will be vastly superior to most shows on TV including the ones you listed. They will have to be really to pull off a good adaptation of SHIELD. That's not just for the action, it's for the setting in general.

Last edited:
I came in here to see if the powers that be have alluded to just how connected this show will be with the movies, but I see they haven't. What would be acceptable to you guys?
I'd really like for them to pull a Coulson in the other direction. Get the most loved team member/hero or the most hated villain and transition them into the movies. Other than that, I'd only want to see cameos of Fury and Hill in the show and cameos of the prisons in the movies.

I came in here to see if the powers that be have alluded to just how connected this show will be with the movies, but I see they haven't. What would be acceptable to you guys?
I'd really like for them to pull a Coulson in the other direction. Get the most loved team member/hero or the most hated villain and transition them into the movies. Other than that, I'd only want to see cameos of Fury and Hill in the show and cameos of the prisons in the movies.

I think the show should be heavily connected to the movies, in the sense that the movies provide context for the show. This is the world we are operating in, superpowered beings and aliens and everything that comes with the Marvel Universe. That said, it must be able to exist on its own in that the plot points don't have to necessarily impact or be impacted by the movies. This is why I think that if we are going to see Marvel heroes (and we are), they should be street-level. It works within the budget for a TV show and the storylines can be mostly independent of the movies, while still maintaining threads into the MCU.

-PLEASE be better than heroes-

From a storytelling approach, I think I can agree. Heroes really fell apart after season 1. However, I'd be happy if the display of powers was done on this level. I thought flight, superstrength and several other powers were depicted pretty well.

Last edited:
I think the show should be heavily connected to the movies, in the sense that the movies provide context for the show. This is the world we are operating in, superpowered beings and aliens and everything that comes with the Marvel Universe. That said, it must be able to exist on its own in that the plot points don't have to necessarily impact or be impacted by the movies. This is why I think that if we are going to see Marvel heroes (and we are), they should be street-level. It works within the budget for a TV show and the storylines can be mostly independent of the movies, while still maintaining threads into the MCU.

That's exactly what I'm thinking, especially the bold. If the show was running when Avengers came out, I'd really only want there to be one episode directly dealing with the cleanup.

On the other hand, I hope there are at least a few things from the show that add to the movies directly. Like, again if the show was running when the Avengers came out, I wouldn't mind seeing a street level hero that was established on the show (Luke Cage?) fighting off on the side of the NYC battle.

On the other hand, I hope there are at least a few things from the show that add to the movies directly. Like, again if the show was running when the Avengers came out, I wouldn't mind seeing a street level hero that was established on the show (Luke Cage?) fighting off on the side of the NYC battle.

Agreed. I would hope that the showrunners don't feel the need to constrain themselves. The best course of action would be to allow for the possibility that characters featured in the show could transition into the movies if the story called for it, or vice versa.

Agreed. I would hope that the showrunners don't feel the need to constrain themselves. The best course of action would be to allow for the possibility that characters featured in the show could transition into the movies if the story called for it, or vice versa.

Exactly. It'll probably be tricky for them to find the right amount of crossover, so I expect a few hiccups in the first season or two. What would almost completely kill the show for me though would be making an Avengers movie tie into the finale for a season. The characters should cross over, not the stories.

Do you know anything about the tv rights vs movie rights for characters? Could Reed Richards ever come in and help with some sciency stuff?

Exactly. It'll probably be tricky for them to find the right amount of crossover, so I expect a few hiccups in the first season or two. What would almost completely kill the show for me though would be making an Avengers movie tie into the finale for a season. The characters should cross over, not the stories.

Do you know anything about the tv rights vs movie rights for characters? Could Reed Richards ever come in and help with some sciency stuff?
I'm not quite sure, but I assume that there is a difference between animation rights and live-action television rights.

I suspect they would avoid that, because even if its not explicitly in the contract, there would probably be grounds for a messy lawsuit.

so let me get this straight, is agent coulson alive?

Yes, Kevin Feige decided to go full devil-mode and ruin everything so Coulson is back

I thought the working theory was that the show's 1st season begins at some point before the events in TA. This would explain Coulson's liveliness.

I thought the working theory was that the show's 1st season begins at some point before the events in TA. This would explain Coulson's liveliness.

That's what some fans have posited, but officially there hasn't been any word on when the show is set. Personally, I favor the "Coulson Lives, haters!" theory, myself. :cwink:

Yes, Kevin Feige decided to go full devil-mode and ruin everything so Coulson is back

That one guy who thought that Feige was the devil with "666" tattooed on his forehead got banned. It's really too bad because I would have loved to read his reaction to Feige's "Showman of the Year" award. :oldrazz:

Isn't Coulson's return Joss Whedon's fault?

I always thouht the TV show would be a continuation of Item 47

I suspect they would avoid that, because even if its not explicitly in the contract, there would probably be grounds for a messy lawsuit.
Are you talking about the actors suing or another creative party suing?

If your talking about TV actors suing, then Marvel can always renegotiate there contract before they decide to add a crossover plot point.

If you talking about another creative party suing then Marvel has pretty much avoided that. You can't get sued if you own the live action TV rights and the Movie rights. On top of that you to stack the deck in your favor by producing the TV series yourself and air it on your parent companies' Television station. If anyone where to sue it would be like taking cash out of one pocket and putting it in the other.

Last edited:
That one guy who thought that Feige was the devil with "666" tattooed on his forehead got banned. It's really too bad because I would have loved to read his reaction to Feige's "Showman of the Year" award. :oldrazz:
Awww. RIP AB :( :hehe:

Isn't Coulson's return Joss Whedon's fault?

"Fault?" There is no fault involved in Coulson's return. Brilliant planning, perhaps, but fault, never. :cwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"