Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to see a Marvel TV series based in the world and Joss is the perfect person to bring it to life. Personally I would like to see a Hero for Hire show done the way Criminal Minds/every other police based show would be awesome and the more possible way to go. HFH could easily be a street division of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Carol Danvers could easily be the women in charge that talks to Fury though we never hear or see him with Cage and Fist being the main leg work with Jessica Jones and maybe Jessica Drew on the team as well. I’ve never read a HFH comic but that is what I think of when I hear about a ABC cop show set in the marvel universe.

You can't hinge the entire MCU on "fallout from the Avengers," though. Yeah, Item 47 is interesting, but I'd hate like hell to see the TV show devolve into salvaging stray Chitauri leftovers from the invasion.

It's not rocket science, people: average audiences hear that there's a TV show from Marvel about Marvel set in the Marvel universe, so whaddya think they're going to want to see? You get three guesses, and if "superheroes" and "supervillains" don't constitute your first two answers, then you're already wrong.

Nobody gives a rat's ass about the mundanes. The show needs to be about supers. Period.

who said it'd have to be only the fallout of avengers? why can't it start around Ironman 1?

it'd deal with ALL the movies... not just avengers

i dont think you understand the large picture... the whole show wouldn't be "commentary" nor would it souly evolve around chitari weapons... that's a small small piece of the puzzle.

I agree with that. The show needs to have superheroes versus supervillians on some scale. That's why HfH works so well, they can do all those things. They can deal with the mystery-of-the-week, they can deal with the criminal underground, they can square off against lower-level supervillians, and they can help deal with the ramifications of The Avengers. All while trying to make a living but more times than not, getting no compensation for the help they are providing.

no it doesnt.. there's hundereds of shows that do just fine without supers..

the main cast wouldn't be supers... but... their would most certainly be heroes and villains who show up. And maybe a few characters get powers.... like Jessica Jones

no it doesnt.. there's hundereds of shows that do just fine without supers..

the main cast wouldn't be supers... but... their would most certainly be heroes and villains who show up. And maybe a few characters get powers.... like Jessica Jones

Yeah, but those shows are not produced by Marvel Studios. I just feel if Marvel does a show and it doesn't feature superheroes as part of the main cast then it is big missed opportunity. Smallville and Heroes were fine for what they were, but I largely came away wanting more.

Last edited:
Yeah, but those shows are not produced by Marvel Studios. I just feel if Marvel does a show and it doesn't feature superheroes as part of the main cast then it is big missed opportunity. Smallville and Heroes were fine for what they were, but largely came away wanting more.

Smallville lasted 10 season.....................

but that also being said... Story is more important than anything else. The show could make the viewer truly see what it'd be like to live in this world. I think it'd be brilliant

I'm really not getting how some people don't see the Marvel = Superheroes correlation. If that's what the show is billed as, a Marvel Studios show set in the MCU, then people are going to expect it to be about superheroes. Even if the main characters aren't superheroes, the expectation is that the cases they take will be about superheroes on some level or other.

I'm really not getting how some people don't see the Marvel = Superheroes correlation. If that's what the show is billed as, a Marvel Studios show set in the MCU, then people are going to expect it to be about superheroes. Even if the main characters aren't superheroes, the expectation is that the cases they take will be about superheroes on some level or other.

but this IS what it would entail.. most episodes would feature at least a hero or a villain. And I imagine.. some of the best would have one or a few of the main characters caught in the middle.

much like the show they were pushing AKA Jessica Jones. sure she's a hero.. but... everyone also knows she's a mother and career girl first.

If anyone can make your average joe look like a hero... it's Joss.

but this IS what it would entail.. most episodes would feature at least a hero or a villain. And I imagine.. some of the best would have one or a few of the main characters caught in the middle.

much like the show they were pushing AKA Jessica Jones. sure she's a hero.. but... everyone also knows she's a mother and career girl first.

If anyone can make your average joe look like a hero... it's Joss.
How do you know that the show will star an average joe/not a superhuman character from the comics? No one has said that this would be an adaptation of MARVELS.

How do you know that the show will star an average joe/not a superhuman character from the comics? No one has said that this would be an adaptation of MARVELS.

...... Im speculating and giving my theories. There's no proof of anything

"this is" refers to my idea and theory

Keep in mind that this show will also at first feature expendable characters. TV is a really rough place... And they're not going to likely bring in a big name character that they hope to make a film out of.... If the show fails with Luke cage they're kinda screwed in bringing him to the movies since its the same universe. the show shouldn't be a flagship but a way to spark interest in other characters to possiblyspawn features. This is why i suspect the show will either be centered around civilians or heroes that will probably never be on film. At least at first

It'd be a genius format to introduce cloak and dagger, Jessica Jones, runways, new warriors, moonknight etc.... As well as reintroduce blade and punisher

This is why I say, go SHIELD. SHIELD is close enough to superheroic that it wouldn't feel out of place, while also not requiring a narrow focus or an all-in bet on a singular character. Also, since the concept doesn't require any specific character, it gives them a lot more freedom in how they write it ( ie, freedom to kill off cast members ).

This is why I say, go SHIELD. SHIELD is close enough to superheroic that it wouldn't feel out of place, while also not requiring a narrow focus or an all-in bet on a singular character. Also, since the concept doesn't require any specific character, it gives them a lot more freedom in how they write it ( ie, freedom to kill off cast members ).

except you'd probably never see Nick Fury, and Maria Hill is busy with another TV show

Would you recast Nick Fury and Maria Hill, or would you cut them completely out of the show and just reference them? It's hard for me to imagine a SHIELD show without showing SHIELD's director or its second-in-command. I would at least need the Helicarrier to feature prominently.

(a previous post)

Im still holding out hope for AKA Jessica Jones. Its a procedural (shes a p.i.), its a good way to intro luke cage and/or HfH, and you can test out various marvel b listers on a weekly basis. Plus you have the big names as backdrop.

For the casual/non fan, a detective show is easy to get into. And the limited series is a great template for a pilot and the first few episodes.

Plus, Joss Whedon could run a show like this in his sleep. He may want to do something a bit more challenging though. To me it seems like a no-brainer.

Casting the lead is critical of course. Someone of Eliza Dushku's "caliber" wouldnt cut it. JJ is pretty much defined by her attitude/personality rather than her generic, seldom-used powers.

(a previous post)

Im still holding out hope for AKA Jessica Jones. Its a procedural (shes a p.i.), its a good way to intro luke cage and/or HfH, and you can test out various marvel b listers on a weekly basis. Plus you have the big names as backdrop.

For the casual/non fan, a detective show is easy to get into. And the limited series is a great template for a pilot and the first few episodes.

Plus, Joss Whedon could run a show like this in his sleep. He may want to do something a bit more challenging though. To me it seems like a no-brainer.

Casting the lead is critical of course. Someone of Eliza Dushku's "caliber" wouldnt cut it. JJ is pretty much defined by her attitude/personality rather than her generic, seldom-used powers.

I agree, I think this show is going to be far more "down to earth" and Jessica and mostly civilian supporting cast would be perfect.

I also wonder if since this is Television and not Film, if they can cut some corners with other studio properties even if it's in the Avengers universe... like could Phil Urich show up? J. Jonah Jameson?

we'd surely see Kat Ferril I'd assume

I mean television really is a great way to test out heroes... ones that currently wont carry a film (or are too risky) to ones that never will...

-Runaways
-Moonknight
-Luke Cage
-Mockingbird
-Cloak and Dagger
-Jewel AKA jessic Jones
-Spider-Woman
-Darkhawk
-New Warriors
-She-Hulk
-the young Avengers
etc...

or hell... villains that might never see the light of day on film..
-Constrictor
-Scorpion
-Rhino
-shocker
-blizzard
-whirlwind
-The Hood
-Hammer Head
-Griffin
etc...

If Marvel do have a TV show, it better be something that can easily cross over into the movies so that characters from the show can actually feature. It would be great to see cameos from people we've come to know over the course of a TV series. But then, they'd need to get at least a few high calbre actors for this show or former movie stars who'll commit to a show, otherwise the crossover will just end up having these small-time TV stars.

CSI has had the likes the Lawrence Fishburne before, while Law & Order Criminal Intent had Vincent D'Onofrio.

If Marvel do have a TV show, it better be something that can easily cross over into the movies so that characters from the show can actually feature. It would be great to see cameos from people we've come to know over the course of a TV series. But then, they'd need to get at least a few high calbre actors for this show or former movie stars who'll commit to a show, otherwise the crossover will just end up having these small-time TV stars.

CSI has had the likes the Lawrence Fishburne before, while Law & Order Criminal Intent had Vincent D'Onofrio.

Yeah, you'd have to pick the right type of actors for this. Actors who are accustomed to a TV series but could also be called on to make appearances in the movies. Again, another reason I like HfH. Terry Crews would make a good Luke Cage and has experience in both mediums.

I agree, and it's also why i think we will have much smaller character names. This show takes place in the Avengers Universe... so this should be synonymous in feel and existence. No recasts.

Ideally the show would be a gateway for lesser known characters to eventually get films... which might mean an episode featuring a hero they hope to spawn into something else...

so let's say for people like Ms Marvel, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage they'd cast actors who are versatile enough to be on both TV and FILM.

it's much easier to get a tv actor playing a very minor role, to be present on film than it is for a big name actor to do Film. though, it'd be nice to have a cameo or two eventually (also great for sweeps)

Yeah, you'd have to pick the right type of actors for this. Actors who are accustomed to a TV series but could also be called on to make appearances in the movies. Again, another reason I like HfH. Terry Crews would make a good Luke Cage and has experience in both mediums.

Joss is very familiar with H&H too.. i think it was used as a joke once on Angel refering to Angel Investigations.

to be honest... H4H (at least the expanded team rather than just luke and danny) has a lot in common with both angel and buffy, could be a little too on the nose actually. but Whedon would do it well

Not really fair, but I think an attractive white female protag as a lead would be an easier sell than Luke Cage. At least on broadcast tv (abc). AKA JJ could introduce him and either make him a co-star or serve as a springboard for a Cage/HfH tv show or movie.

Personally I would love a HfH tv show (big fan of Iron Fist as well). But it seems less likely to get greenlit. Maybe I'm wrong.( I do believe its absurd that in 2012 there arent any American tv shows with a black lead actor. )

Of course they already passed on Jessica Jones once, so maybe its DOA at this point. Guess we will find out soon.

edit: okay, apparently there will be several new shows this fall with african american leads. i guess they got all those letters and emails i sent!

Last edited:
this show could be how they introduce mar-vell.

As much as I like some of the actors in the shows I watch like Eureka, Warehouse 13, or even some of these older shows like the various Star Trek ones (and they are mostly good in their roles and make the show), I think for this kind of TV series they'd need bigger names than that.

Those are mostly TV actors, and while I could see one or two of them possibly appearing in a future Avengers-related movie, I don't see someone like say, Colin Ferguson headlining any future Marvel movie. I don't really see that for any former Star Trek actor either.

The only Star Trek actor who has managed something of a crossover is Patrick Stewart, and even then it has mostly been X-Men and a few minor roles here and there in other films (eg Conspiracy Theory).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"