Disney Movie Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've gotta agree with Catman here that Menken's work with Rice equaled his work with Ashman.

I'm not a big fan of Tim Rice, but his work on Aladdin and The Lion King was definitely equal of Ashman's league. Before I knew how informative the 'Net was, I honestly thought Ashman wrote the lyrics for "A Whole New World", but surprise -- it was Tim Rice.

As cheesy as it is, this still cracks me up 16 years later:

[YT]xyhcO06IVoo[/YT]

I honestly thought Ashman wrote the lyrics for "A Whole New World", but surprise -- it was Tim Rice.

A Whole New World is too Pop for Ashman. That's why it stands out so much.

man idk what happened to disney but man they had superb music and outstanding effects for an animated movie. Its a damn shame that they revert to this tween crap.

Yeah no clue too and btw Tangled was a movie I thought in short was a step in the right direction and it felt like a throwback to the Disney's Renaissance movies.

Between Tangled and Princess and The Frog, could there be a new Disney Renaissance coming?

I could see Disney focusing on more fairy-tale movies in the future it will probably in CG (I don't mind) and it would be tough considering that the movies in the Renaissance era set up the bar but Tangled did a good job and I want Disney to keep continue doing that at least in a sense of the quality in the movie.

I mentioned this before, but i'd like to see Disney translate some bible based stories like David and Goliath or Samson, etc....

Why take the risk? Christians and Jews would lose their minds.

Just look at the changes they made to stories like The Little Mermaid and Cinderella. Major changes to make them more family friendly. Well Christians don't give a **** about family friendly. If they change one little thing they'll be the object of ire for millions of dittoheads around the world.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

ummm..tween crap?

He's confusing Disney with Disney Channel. Some people don't realize how conglomerates function.

Between Tangled and Princess and The Frog, could there be a new Disney Renaissance coming?

Not with Pixar in the way. And with John Lassetter, who's also running Disney Animation, having conflict of interest. Think about it. So far, Lassetter has done three movies for Disney: Bolt, The Princess and the Frog, and Tangled. And what were the last three Pixar films? Wall-E, Up, and Toy Story 3.

Why take the risk? Christians and Jews would lose their minds.

Just look at the changes they made to stories like The Little Mermaid and Cinderella. Major changes to make them more family friendly. Well Christians don't give a **** about family friendly. If they change one little thing they'll be the object of ire for millions of dittoheads around the world.

:doom: :doom: :doom:

There was an animated Moses movie a few years back, The Prince of Egypt and there wasn't any controversy surrounding that...:huh:

that movie should be on bluray with some much special edition. It can not be forgotten. prince of eygpt was up there with lion king if not better.

There was an animated Moses movie a few years back, The Prince of Egypt and there wasn't any controversy surrounding that...:huh:
Steven Spielberg is a practicing Jew and he produced the movie, so I think that the Christian and Jewish communities trusted that the source material would be treated with respect.

Disney however, unfortunately has a reputation for being highly commercialized and all too eagar to please the lowest common denominator, and they have a history of sanitizing things to be more politically correct. They made a film out of the Black American folk hero John Henry a few years ago, and there was a wedding scene where one of the producers made the artists go back and remove the cross from the church steeple because "it was too religious." Also, in the DVD release for Don Bluth's "The Small One," Disney had the Star of Bethlehem digitally modified so that it wouldn't look like a cross.

I think a lot of people were actually surprised that The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was not sanitized of its more overt Christian themes. Disney doing Bible stories would be a can of worms, and I don't think they'd want to deal with the controversy they'd get both from their constituents who demand political correctness and from the religious communities who want the stories to be handled with respect.

I just think that the Disney Renaissance was perhaps one of those once in a lifetime events, 10 years of just solid film making and awesome animation. I'll be finally able to see Rapunzel next week so perhaps my tune will change but the 3D animation is already a sticking point with me for that film, I prefer hand drawn.

I prefer hand-drawn too but I was surprise of Tangled, they did a good job with the CG and it's refreshing and yet similar in a way with elements that echo from the Renaissance era.

I refuse to call that movie 'Tangled'. :angry:

I found Tangled very enjoyable and the songs were surprisingly decent.I saw "Waking Sleeping Beauty" last night and it was definely an eye opener.Frank wells was a great guy and the glue that kept everything together.It's a shame he died when he did.Makes you wonder what would have happened if he lived.

yea and rapunzel kinda reminded me of my gf lol minus the long hair.

I haven't seen Tangled yet but it looks good, and I thought Princess and the Frog was pretty great (and I might be in the minority but I enjoyed it more than Up and Fantastic Mr Fox which came out around the same time).So quality-wise Disney seems to be improving, but box-office numbers haven't been as good as expected so....I dunno.

yea and rapunzel kinda reminded me of my gf lol minus the long hair.

That's must be some girl you've got there coz the animators did a hell of a job on Rapunzel making her look as cute as they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"