Disney/Pixar Movies - What do you think?

phoenixflight

Amazing Amazon
Reaction score
With the release of "Cars" on June 9, 2006 (directed by John Lasseter) and the announcement of "Ratatouille" (directed by Brad Bird) to be released on June 27, 2007, it makes me wonder - What do you think about these movies?

Personally, I am glad that they have 'merged' as one company (although Pixar could easily survive on its own). Two animated powerhouses collaborating on fantastic ideas.
Share your thoughts and ideas.

Will they release films every year?

Will there be a Toy Story 3?

Do you want to see The Incredibles 2?

Current Worldwide Box Office Grosses: (figures in millions)
Toy Story (1995) - $362.0
A Bug's Life (1998) - $363.4
Toy Story 2 (1999) - $485.0
Monsters Inc. (2001) - $525.4
Finding Nemo (2003) - $864.6
The Incredibles (2004) - $631.6

disneypixar9qy.jpg

They started a trend I wish would go away. It seems CGI movies are getting to be the norm, and that's bad.

Immortalfire said:
They started a trend I wish would go away. It seems CGI movies are getting to be the norm, and that's bad.
Yeah but it was something that was bound to happen. At least Pixar continues to release good quality films consecutively (unlike Dreamworks:o).

Incredibles is my favourite

Was expecting Nemo to be better

My list of favorites:

1. The Incredibles
2. Toy Story 2
3. Finding Nemo
4. A Bug's Life
5. Toy Story
6. Monsters, Inc.

I'm hoping they'll pull a finger to most people, and make a 2D movie.

And make one hell of a great movie out of it. With the pixar name on it, chances are, it'll be a huge success. And people will see that it's the story that matters, and the characters, etc, NOT the technique uses.

Oh, and they'll also see why 2D is still more beautiful to look at then 3D.
The thing with 3D, is that you never get to say "woah, that's beautiful to look at."

You'll say "Now THAT'S well done, looks so real, etc", but not that it is beautiful. 3D ain't a bad medium, it's got potential. But for that, they must forget about looking real, and try to uses styles.

Look at Ghost in the shell 2. The backgrounds are all in full 3D. Usually, i'd say that's horrible, but Oshii is a genius (far more than any american director, imo) and, no matter the medium, he knows how to make a movie look good. The parade in Innocence ? My god. That was beyond beautiful. No 3D movie has ever been able to do that (except Oshii here, of course).

Or, just rent Howl's moving castle, and dare to tell me Incredibles (which I loved), or Shrek are more beautiful than Miyazaki's film. ;)

I enjoyed 'The Incredibles' the most. I want a friggen' sequel!

It's ridiculous how much money these films make. It's enough to feed all of Africa. :(

TheSaintofKillers said:
Or, just rent Howl's moving castle, and dare to tell me Incredibles (which I loved), or Shrek are more beautiful than Miyazaki's film. ;)
Or even better, Spirited Away
bow.gif

Immortalfire said:
Pixar's movies are golden though. It's other people that are ****ing it up.

I vote incredibles. Deffinitely the benchmark so far.

Kmack said:
Or even better, Spirited Away
bow.gif

I'm not sure which one I prefer, but Howl's more beautiful to look at then spirited away.

(And totoro, Castle in the sky, etc are all even more beautiful, none of them having ANY 3D whatsoever in them, all hand draw, things of beauty).

Imo, Spirited away is the only Miyazaki movie NOT perfect (in the art departement, I mean, not the story, etc). Miyazaki and his team were experimenting with 3D in it. And you've got some obvious and very odd looking backgrounds in it, not ugly, but sure as heck not half as beautiful as he and his team brings to the table with each of their movie. Watch it again, with a closer look, you might understand what I mean.

While in Howl, he and his team have mastered their new techniques. The movie's even MORE beautiful to look at, and, just like every other movie he made at Ghibli, it is perfect in his visual creation.

Spirited away isn't. Doesn't make the movie inferior, though.

^ Good point, I know what you mean.

Monster's Inc.

Why? I honestly have no idea.

CConn said:
Monster's Inc.

Why? I honestly have no idea.

Monster's inc felt like the most original of them all, imo. A monsters in the closer movie ?? I mean, we've had some cartoons, but when did we follow them in their world, and exploit it that much ?

Monster inc had so much originality in it I was overflood with joy while watching it the first time (and still am some years later).

Bug movie ? Toy movie ? Fish movie ? Superhero movie ? All been done. And more than once. All great movies, and so very well written. But they lacked originality in their concept, imo. Same with Cars.

But Monster inc, wah, that might be why some of us hold it better in our hearts. ;)

I'd love to see the creators of Monster inc. do something else, even if i'm a bigger fan of Brad Bird (Iron giant is a better movie than all of Pixar's movies, imo, heck, it might be the best animated american hollywood movie, even if it also lacks originality.)

Yeah, you could be right about that. It also seemed to have the most heart to me of any of the films, without ever becoming a downer. The very last shot of the film with Sully and Mike looking in to Boo's bedroom with joy in their eyes was one of those endings that really stuck with me.

CConn said:
Yeah, you could be right about that. It also seemed to have the most heart to me of any of the films, without ever becoming a downer. The very last shot of the film with Sully and Mike looking in to Boo's bedroom with joy in their eyes was one of those endings that really stuck with me.

I do agree with that. Though, Incredibles wasn't so far behind, imo. That scene when Mr. Incredible thinks his wife and kids are about to die, is touching and hurting.

Um, thinking about it, Monsters have much more potential than superheros, cars, or any other subject Pixar have used in the past. With a monster, you can do whatever the hell you want, in any shape.

Humans have been imagining them for centuaries. While bugs and fishes are usually limited to the ones that exist (at least, in Pixar's movies), same with Cars or toys, and superhero's usually are restrained to a basic formula we've been used to for the last 60 years.

With monsters (and a monster world), your imagination can go completely WILD!

Plus just the fact that they're sort of exploring that fantasy world that we may have all dreamed about as kids. Nearly everyone's afraid of monsters when they're little, and to create a world based on that can be quite interesting. It's both something, as you said, is quite original, but at the same time, it's something we all know about and connect to.

CConn said:
Plus just the fact that they're sort of exploring that fantasy world that we may have all dreamed about as kids. Nearly everyone's afraid of monsters when they're little, and to create a world based on that can be quite interesting. It's both something, as you said, is quite original, but at the same time, it's something we all know about and connect to.

Heh, i'm voting for Monsters Inc. now, I was hesitating between that and the Incredibles.

Go originality! :up:

Will they release films every year?

- As I have just understood, yes.

Will there be a Toy Story 3?
- Yes.

Do you want to see The Incredibles 2?
- Yes, it would be great.

i loved monsters inc... but i remember finding nemo as the first time i was really wow-wowed by pixar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"