Disney/Pixar's Onward

I think it will do okay but it doesn't look like the next big Pixar ip. I got The Good Dinosaur vibes when I first saw the trailer. And if you remove the PiXar logo, this would perform similarly to Spies in Disguise. It just doesnt look very appealing imo.

It was much better than the Good Dinosaur. Not a Pixar classic by any means, but really enjoyable and I believe, a very good rewatch factor to it.

Just got out, it was a very well done flick, definitely a homage to those 80s Spielberg or John Hughes flicks in a lot of scenes. Not toy story tier but not Cars 2 either.

Just got out, it was a very well done flick, definitely a homage to those 80s Spielberg or John Hughes flicks in a lot of scenes. Not toy story tier but not Cars 2 either.

Hey...

Just, uh... Take in a lot of Vitamin C the next few days.

In other words:

source.gif

Actually I'm looking at showings today and they're starting to fill. It may be because kids don't give a **** about getting sick.

I liked it. As I thought it fits around the same level as Monsters U (so underrated), Brave, and Good Dinosaur. It’s a fun film, I guess Pixar’s B team took care of this and the A team took care of ‘Soul’, though I’m still giving that film some side-eye. I’d watch a sequel. The short before the film was unexpected and cute.

One thing I noticed is how detailed the animation has gotten since the last film, like every year they slightly ramp it up. Everybody looks cartoony but the details on closeups of the face like facial hair and slight blemishes is impressive.

Global start of $68 million.

Box Office: ‘Onward’ Debuts to $28 Million Overseas Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

The film collected $28 million from 47 foreign markets, representing about 60% of its international footprint. However, “Onward” didn’t open in any areas being impacted by coronavirus, including China — where movie theaters are closed, as well as South Korea, Japan and Italy.

“Onward,” a fantastical adventure about two teenage elf brothers (voiced by Tom Holland and Chris Pratt) on a quest to spend one last day with their late father, launched in North America with a lackluster $40 million for a global start of $68 million. Pixar films typically cost $175 million to $200 million to make, a hefty fee that doesn’t account for global marketing.

Yeah this definitely affected it.

But not domestically. Wonder why it opened low here too.

This was middle of the road for Pixar standards but it was still pretty good. Comparing them to their more recent-ish original movies, it wasn't on the level of Inside Out or Coco but better than The Good Dinosaur.

Onward doesn't have the cultural significance of a Coco and it doesn't have a ton to say on the human condition like an Inside Out, but as a simple coming of age adventure story it's aces.

It's the kinda narrative you'd see in one of those Encore flicks you might catch when you're faking sick from school. But unlike The Good Dinosaur, it applies more modern day sensibilities that help to elevate the material quite a bit.

I loved it and would give it a solid 8/10.

They didn't make one guy the nerd and one the jock or whatever, as they're both kinda geeky which is what I also liked. Barley is just Comic Book Guy geek.

Not showing on BOM ww yet.
did this open only in North America or did it have a global opening?

Probably lower tier Pixar for me, but still liked it.

Early digital arrival:

Pixar’s ‘Onward’ Being Released Early on Digital and Disney Plus

Disney joins the growing number of studios releasing films early digitally as theaters continue to shutter nationwide in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

Disney and Pixar’s “Onward” will be available to buy digitally for $19.99 and on Movies Anywhere beginning on Friday at 5:00 p.m. PT. It hits Disney Plus on April 3 in the U.S.

“While we’re looking forward to audiences enjoying our films on the big screen again soon, given the current circumstances, we are pleased to release this fun, adventurous film to digital platforms early for audiences to enjoy from the comfort of their homes,” said director Dan Scanlon and producer Kori Rae.

Yeah Disney knows they didn't make nearly enough on this as they should have.

Disney Plus April 3rd? Awesome. Physical sales are really going to take a hit though

Disney Plus April 3rd? Awesome. Physical sales are really going to take a hit though
Yeah the cloud gaming and digital download scene is gonna ramp up. I know people were claiming it would fall but when this happened, yeah.

Well what else were they going to do? Only logical thing right now since there’s no other way to see it at the moment

Yeah Disney knows they didn't make nearly enough on this as they should have.
I feel bad for the movies that got caught up in the event horizon. All these movies that would have been delayed if they were going to be released only a couple of weeks later. You can literally look at the box office and see when people in the "West" started taking this seriously.

On the plus side, I get to see this! :D

Wow, that's in two weeks!

I wasn't particularly interested in seeing this but if it's on Disney+, I'll check it out!

Wow, I thought they’d release it early for purchase on digital but NEVER thought they’d bring it to D+ so soon.

During the coronavirus, everybody wants the D.

Not showing on BOM ww yet.
did this open only in North America or did it have a global opening?

It has opened in most countries as far as I know. It's a mystery why it's still missing on the worldwide-chart. On the other hand, there are also other errors occuring on the site. I've seen some weekend-charts being wrong for example. I don't know, after they changed the design the site just seems to go from bad to worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"