Disney/Pixar's The Incredibles 2 - Part 1

Yeah, that seems to be the case. For years Bird said that he didn't want to do a sequel unless he could come up with something as good or better than the first film.

Obviously he couldn't, but Disney convinced him to anyway. Honestly, the first film is just so solid and complete that it really shouldn't have been continued unless the idea is exceptional. This just feels underwhelming in comparison.

Incredibles 2 happened because Tomorrowland was a huge bomb.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-could-lose-140-million-801244

Incredibles 2 happened because it is awesome, and for my money, the better of the two films. Not that there is much between them.

Bird talked about doing it before the release of Tomorrowland. Also considering the numbers, clearly an all time anticipated sequel.

I believe the roll out OS will be slow, taking all the way until the end of September to reach all markets. But China opens this weekend so look for the OS numbers to be big.

$16,333,960 Thursday...man that had a steep drop off the last 2 days. Not sure what accounts for it. $269,446,690 total for the first week. Just missed The Avengers by under a million. Oh well. I still hope it can pull in $90M or so for the weekend #2.

It should be above half a billion $ by the end of the weekend.

Saw this Wed. Loved it. Expanded thoughts bellow:
The first INCREDIBLES is one of the most beloved Pixar films but even more so among the genre fan set, one of the most beloved super hero films even if it's an original creation not based off of either the Marvel or DC brand. Created before Disney bought Marvel lock stock and barrel, many pointed out that it was the Fantastic Four film everyone had been waiting for. I've kind of changed my mind on that. Yes, it's all about family dynamics (and I guess Jack-Jack is Franklin Richards to a degree) and yes it's coated with a sheen of pre-Kennedy assassination early 60's Americana "cool" it doesn't really mirror anything specifically in the FF in either characters or themes or plots, at least without stretching to the point of breaking any parallels. Still with fun commentary, dynamic action, heartfelt and relateable characters and an all around vibe that combined "gee whiz" with a laid back cool (Connery era Bond is an obvious influence) the first Incredibles film raised the bar on what you could do with super heroes on screen even if it was not a live action adaptation of a comic book universe.

So 14 years later I and everyone else was chomping at the bit to see what returning director Brad Bird would unleash. For myself can the trailers themselves did much for me. They seemed pretty basic. Though I suppose the promotion team at Pixar might have held back on content simply becuase the near decade and half wait was all they needed to build hype. Still, the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. After trying to see the film (sold on three previous attempts to go see it) I finally got to experience it Wed. And... It more that makes up for the time we as the audience have spent away from Helen, Bob and the kids. Since seeing it I've vacillated on whether it's merely a hare's breath under or over the original.

On one facet there's no denying what the fourteen year wait has given the sequel the edge over the original... Visuals and that's not a small part of computer animated film. Seriously, I kind of actually feel that the way the medium of CGI is employed in this film that it's almost a double edged sword. It's so immersive so textured so naturalistic that... Maybe the audience won't really appreciate what an amazing accomplishment this film is? I don't know but for myself this film took the Pixar/Disney animated film to another level and yet it oddly didn't draw your attention to it's revolutionary look and feel.
Bird delivers honest to goodness amazing "cinematography" even though there was no "camera" to operate in the real world. The sequences where they showcase Elastigirl are true visual feasts. Why did they take so long to make this film? The sequence of Helen on her super cycle alone gives the answer. The way they come up with the methods that Elastigirl employs her power set is both a joy and a wonder for any serious super hero fan. But then we have the performances that the "quieter" (a relative term when dealing with a super powered family I suppose) moments the film gives us with Bob at home trying to hold down the fort as Helen operates as a solo act. The facial performances for Bob, Vi and Dash in this part showcase the way this film uses CGI to truly make a parallel reality that you immerse yourself in without question despite the obvious "cartoon" design of the cast of characters. The slow build of Bob's demeanor as it changes, visually as his arc proceeds is so subtle yet effective. You really see how he is doing his best but keeps getting stymied to the point of emotional and even physical exhaustion.

As for the plot and the villain... I don't get the criticisms I'm seeing from some. Yeah, the antagonist in this film is not at all like the first film, but I see some saying it was "too obvious". Well... Rewatch the first film. It's obvious from the first reel that Incrediboy/Syndrome was gonna show up again, and even the design of him as a youth gives off "crazy eyed villain" vibes. So that aspect wasn't a deal breaker and frankly I did have to go back and forth as to who our masked villain was and the precise motivations behind the plans they enacted. As with a lot of super hero films they managed to sneak in some meta-commentary that was a bit biting even at times. And that we didn't have a full on costumed "villain" worked fine for me. The super hero film has expanded to such wide proportions that it's fine by me if each movie doesn't hit all the tropes, i.e. having a costumed villain as the big bad.

For sure in this film they switched up things so as not to give us something stale or reheated from the first movie. To that end Bob's story takes a back seat to Helen as a solo hero. There's less consideration given to Dash's issues and instead Vi is given a chance to shine as both a comedic character and as well... A kid going through the march towards adulthood. Kudos to Sarah Vowell and the writers for making that awkward time in the oldest Incredibles child's life nowhere near as grating as most writing for teenagers usually is.

Finally I just want to say that this film was in almost every aspect truly what I feel "four quadrant" can and should be. While I might as a curmudgeon think that they went to far with the Jack-Jack material at times... Hell, I still laughed out loud at his antics as calculated as I think they sometimes came across as (that raccoon better return in a sequel!). The writing and performances in THIS film obviously were as lovingly considered by the creators as the "gags" and action and that's something I think more super hero films, especially of the Marvel variety need to think of. The characters and plot of Infinity War show that yes, a Marvel film can reach some amazing highs when the world is used as a vehicle for a character driven action adventure drama and not JUST as a way to deliver gags at a predictable pace. I would love it if Marvel looked at this movie as a template to balance out their own product more. All in all a great and fun installment in the continuing march of super heroes to dominate the pop culture landscape.

Just don't take another fourteen years to give us the third and likely final chapter Bird and Co.

Average but disappointing. Biggest comments/reactions

spoilers

Violet slightly and Dash very much seemed more petty and immature than in the first film
Bob being jealous of Helen's success was pretty overdone although his getting frazzled and then becoming better as a parent was pretty good
A little too much retro/'60s/specifically setting the film in the '60s, the more timeless approach in the first film and sequel's first scene was much better
The bad guys mostly being good guys with hypnotizing goggles was I guess fine originality but it was underwhelming both that Frozone couldn't take off most of the characters' initially and then that easily doing so was most of the climax
The villain had a decent motivation and development
Jack-Jack and his random multiple powers had a bit too much screentime/attention

Last edited:
Average but disappointing. Biggest comments/reactions
Violet slightly and Dash very much seemed more petty and immature than in the first film
Bob being jealous of Helen's success was pretty overdone although his getting frazzled and then becoming better as a parent was pretty good
A little too much retro/'60s/specifically setting the film in the '60s, the more timeless approach in the first film and sequel's first scene was much better
The bad guys mostly being good guys with hypnotizing goggles was I guess fine originality but it was underwhelming both that Frozone couldn't take off most of the characters' initially and then that easily doing so was most of the climax
The villain had a decent motivation and development

The first film was set in the 60s to begin with.

The first film is way more 60s based then the sequel. I mean, both are literally set in the 60s. But the first film has a far more retro feel in then the second film, which actually feels pretty modern overall.

The first film was set in the 60s to begin with.

I don't think it felt like it, at least it didn't focus on it, it felt more like contemporary with a few anachronisms and homages compared to in the sequel Bob specifically complaining about new math and the heroes having had theme songs reminiscent of Adam West Batman.

It's an alternate universe with retro implications. It's never stated what year it is even though Jonny quest and outer limits kinda implies it.

I don't think it felt like it, at least it didn't focus on it, it felt more like contemporary with a few anachronisms and homages compared to in the sequel Bob specifically complaining about new math and the heroes having had theme songs reminiscent of Adam West Batman.
Really?

[YT]YveIFphNcp4[/YT]

[YT]SYKGU1M6TgI[/YT]

Compared to you know, the levitating bullet train, their new house and the super high tech boat? Void herself looks rather modern.

Last edited:
It's an alternate universe with retro implications. It's never stated what year it is even though Jonny quest and outer limits kinda implies it.
You can actually see the date on newspapers. Its 1962 when Violet and Dash are around. But yeah, not really dwelled on or discussed at all.

The main retro thing I noticed were all the landline corded phones. You hardly see those anywhere any more.

I finally got to see it last night. I loved it. Almost as good as the original, but I give slight edge to the original mainly because I felt Syndrome was a stronger villain and the movie was overall more emotionally impactful. But, this movie is a lot of fun and a great follow up in its own right.

Seen, finally. Surely a worthy sequel, quite funny, and the great improvement in technology can be seen and is a pleasure for the eyes. I found interesting the characters of Evelyn (excellent look and excellent dynamics with Elastigirl) and Voyd (their fighting scenes are beautiful). But honestly there is more than something I did not like:

-The Underminer who manages to escape. 14 years of waiting, hoping for a super battle with his final defeat, to see him run away with the stolen goods after 5 minutes? Quite disappointing for me.

-Too little screentime for Edna !!! I understand she's just a supporting character, but damn, you have in your film the perhaps most iconic character of the Pixar Universe and you use it for, I think,
5 or 6 minutes
in the most anticipated sequel of the year? Big disappointment.

-I found The Screenslaver a missed opportunity. Great look, disturbing voice, right soundtrack, but
Elastigirl defeats him already in the first fight. I would have preferred another chase between them, a single chase
while the film was just building the image of the character left me unsatisfied. And I would have preferred that
he and the real villain were two separate characters
, although I appreciated the intention of this idea.

Does anyone agree with me on these points?

Oh, and honestly, with all this irons in the fire, I would have preferred the split into two parts of this film.

More money for them and more satisfaction for us old fans.

Last edited:
Nearly as good as the first one.

The pace is absolutely ridicilous. It's very fast and the action sequence is absolutely amazing, especially the climax which is done unbelievably well.

The Screenslaver though, very decent motivation, some memorable lines (the monologue is amazing) but other than that, a little bit let down. This villain is far too small as a threat and doesnt have enough screentime for a proper development. He/She was intimidating and mysterious but after the reveal everything just went downhill. Syndrome was much better, ridicilous motivation but absolutely brilliant at everything else.

The 2 story arc is quite seperated, not as well-connected as the first film. Each of them is amazing on their own, though.

The final act is quite rushed and not as good as the rest of the film.

But overall, fecking relentless experience

Last edited:
Saw it last week.

I really liked it. Only thing I wish that we got more Frozone and more of all of the family being super.

Reasons I would put it below the original. I thought original "shared the wealth" a little bit more, it was more dramatic, the action scenes were better and more epic.

But this was really good. Can't wait to watch again on blu ray

Saw it last week.

I really liked it. Only thing I wish that we got more Frozone and more of all of the family being super.

Reasons I would put it below the original. I thought original "shared the wealth" a little bit more, it was more dramatic, the action scenes were better and more epic.

But this was really good. Can't wait to watch again on blu ray

Frankly, I am down for a Frozone solo film. We HAVE to see Honey at some point.

Frankly, I am down for a Frozone solo film. We HAVE to see Honey at some point.

5De1bGy.jpg

Fanart

See... My headcanon is... Honey was a super as well. But unlike Bob and Fro, she settled into life post the super ban and just wants to live life like a normal person.

Of course given the franchise's track record we won't get this story until 2035.

I was actually surprised how little they used him. I thought they'd up his role in the sequel. Which they did, but I thought (or maybe just hoped) it'd be more

I was actually surprised how little they used him. I thought they'd up his role in the sequel. Which they did, but I thought (or maybe just hoped) it'd be more

Which... Is why I think he should get a solo film. We're dealing with a series that has five titular characters. FIVE. That's already a bit to juggle to the point that even here I would say Dash was pushed much further in the background than in the first film.

After Black Panther there's no reason to think a Frozone film wouldn't make bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"