Disney Talking ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean’ Reboot With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score
I'm not against it. The current continuity has run its course, and I'm all for seeing more sea mythology on screen.

But man, I do not envy the task of trying to fill the void left by Jack and Barbossa.

Depends on the direction. If it’s completely divorced from the franchise as it is now, and focuses on a completely new pirate of the Caribbean, I’ll be interested.

Depends on the direction. If it’s completely divorced from the franchise as it is now, and focuses on a completely new pirate of the Caribbean, I’ll be interested.
To be honest I think they'd have to do that. A new character with a very different personality.

Female lead or are they repurposing the original Burt Lancaster concept for Jack Sparrow?

Female lead or are they repurposing the original Burt Lancaster concept for Jack Sparrow?
Never even thought of that. I could really see them going with a female lead.

Last edited:
There's a lot of potential for this.

I'd give Disney legit credit if they dumped Depp. WB is and all those involved with Potter are kind of embarrassing themselves over that matter.

Kaya Scodelario had more to do in the last POTC than Daisy Ridley did in the last Star Wars.

This is way too soon to start from scratch.

My only objection is it probably means the end of Elizabeth Swan. Though Knightley has mentioned not doing another such film, simply because of how long the shoots are and she has a child.

Last edited:
Highly skeptical that this will work out.
As a film, or financially? Because after the last two films, they could do a lot better. Especially as one of the major issues with the last two films were trying to build them around Sparrow.

Also the last thing I'm interested in is more Deadpool-style humor anywhere outside of Deadpool.

As a film, or financially? Because after the last two films, they could do a lot better. Especially as one of the major issues with the last two films were trying to build them around Sparrow.

Both, but the latter especially.

I’m not a huge fan of Disney constantly repackaging our nostalgia and haven’t been moved by any of their recent live action reboots, but despite their success I just can’t see much demand for this so soon after the Pirates franchise has overstayed it’s welcome. And I say this as a kid who saw the first two dozens of times and loved them.

Haven’t cared for the last two films, but I was interested in where they were gonna go after the last one. Was probably going to end up just being a remake of the second and third, but who knows.

Interested in how this reboot will work out.

Too soon. The Depp ones are too fresh in memory. I don't think this will have any chance without waiting a couple of decades first.

Both, but the latter especially.

I’m not a huge fan of Disney constantly repackaging our nostalgia and haven’t been moved by any of their recent live action reboots, but despite their success I just can’t see much demand for this so soon after the Pirates franchise has overstayed it’s welcome. And I say this as a kid who saw the first two dozens of times and loved them.
That isn't what this would be though. The weird thing is, this was the approach that always made sense. Different pirates, different stories. But the first did so well, they stuck with Captain Jack to the bitter end.

Also I found the Jungle Book to be fantastic, Cinderella to be pretty great, and I really enjoyed BatB, though that one was a tall order.

Just throwing this out there, but if you want to watch pirates in a completely different style than POTC, watch Black Sails. It's excellent.

I do wonder what the internet would have done when they replaced Sean Connery as Bond.

I imagine those two could hammer out a good new direction for the Pirates films. Toss out Depp who is more of a burden now. Those two have shown that they won't let their main character get flanderized.

The time for Sparrow is gone. There is still plenty of life left in pirate stories in general but they need to start putting up quality on screen.

What is this.

I mean, they were never going to let such a potentially lucrative property just die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"