Disney's The Nutcracker

Nutcracker is a Christmas thing, but December is already so full and they don't wanna cannibalize Poppins.

Yeah, Memorial Day wouldn't make any sense for a Christmas film.

Nutcracker is a Christmas thing, but December is already so full and they don't wanna cannibalize Poppins.

That is odd because this movie looks so much like "Memorial Day cash grab".

Yeah, Memorial Day wouldn't make any sense for a Christmas film.

I didn't really comment on the topic of the movie, just the vibe I get from the trailer (i.e. the type of critical proof movie like PotC they usually release on Memorial Day, and PotC movies aren't even related in anyway to Memorial Day).

Disney has been doing a surprising amount of advertising for it.
I can attest to that. New York City is plastered with advertising for it. I can't walk two blocks without seeing an ad on top of a passing taxi.

I didn't really comment on the topic of the movie, just the vibe I get from the trailer (i.e. the type of critical proof movie like PotC they usually release on Memorial Day, and PotC movies aren't even related in anyway to Memorial Day).
This movie isn't critic proof. If it gets bad reviews (and it's likely to happen due to the late embargo lift), this will suffer the same fate as A Wrinkle in Time or worse.

This movie isn't critic proof. If it gets bad reviews (and it's likely to happen due to the late embargo lift), this will suffer the same fate as A Wrinkle in Time or worse.

I actually meant that I feel it’s the type of movie that Disney thinks is critics proof and didn’t try to make it good, in the same vain as PotC, both Alice, Tomorrowland and Maleficent, which all were released in Memorial Day (notice that actually not all those movies are actually critic proof, but I always get the vibe that Disney didn’t care to make them good).

Anyways I probably should have just said that this is the kind of movie I expect them to release in Memorial Day.

Envy, fart all over these bars.

This movie looks like regurgitated nonsense.

It looks ultra Christmasy.

I apologize (to you and others too) that I should have made it clearer that I was commenting on the type of movie this movie is on Disney’s perspective when they schedule, not the theme of the movie itself (similar to I know that Moana isn’t the type of movie they put on their early May, Memorial Day or Father’s Day slot despite being a movie in summer setting). I expected that this is the type of movie Disney will put in their Memorial Day slot, just like I didn’t expect that they would release a non-Marvel, non-Thanksgiving/ Christmas release in the last quarter, but this movie defies it.

Is the villain "The Mouse King" in this movie? In "The Nutcracker" I thought he was the main villain?

Is the villain "The Mouse King" in this movie? In "The Nutcracker" I thought he was the main villain?
A badass-looking Mouse King played by someone like Andy Serkis might have saved this movie. :o

The score so far:

27%
Average Rating: 4.6/10
Reviews Counted: 45
Fresh: 12
Rotten: 33

Critics Consensus: Lacking a transporting yuletide story or dazzling dance routines, The Nutcracker and the Four Realms is a hollow holiday confection that's lovely to look at -- and easy to forget.

This one will flop, I think. Looks like it will be received like A Wrinkle in Time with more competition

Disney doesn't care, they can afford a few flops a year all things considered. I feel like they make these movies for tax purposes or some ****, lol.

The guys at Double Toasted called this the "Wrinkle in Time Holiday Special." :lmao:

Disney can't seem to find their footing regarding female protagonists when they ain't animated.

Matt Goldberg at Collider gave this a good review, almost makes me interested in seeing it. I might check this out in the near future if there's nothing else of interest playing. For now, though, there's still a number of movies I genuinely want to see that I haven't got around to yet (Sisters Brothers, Halloween, A Star is Born).

At least James Newton Howard's score is quite good, as is always the case with his Disney projects.

Despite most of the reviews, I still really want to see this.

Movie was utterly boring. There's some nice lavish visuals and sets, but that's about it. Basically, live action Alice in Wonderland lite.

34%
Average Rating: 5/10
Reviews Counted: 80
Fresh: 27
Rotten: 53

I just don't get the point of this movie and why it was green lit. It wasn't an especially unique or exciting take on the story.

Even as an action-adventure movie, it wasn't very action-packed or adventurous. I'm assuming they pitched it as "Let's do this Nutcracker story like our Alice in Wonderland movie." But that had Johnny Depp as Mad Hatter going for it when Johnny Depp being in a big Disney movie still meant something. They might've had a gap in the schedule and voila.

Yeap, this looks paint by the numbers. They took an interesting IP and made it generic with the chosen female who rebels against society's expectations and overthrows a fantasy land thrown into darkness by an evil woman.

32%
Average Rating: 5/10
Reviews Counted: 98
Fresh: 31
Rotten: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"