'Distracted boyfriend' meme is sexist, says Swedish ad watchdog

Teelie

Fish Food
Reaction score
180927093938-distracted-boyfriend-stock-exlarge-169.jpg

Can't say I disagree with them, even outside the context of an advertisement. Going fully against sexist stereotypes shouldn't mean only 50% of the population should be exempted and targeted. Even the title of the picture, "Disloyal man walking with his girlfriend and looking amazed at another seductive girl," is pushing it too far.

It's been used to dissect trends in popular culture, wade into political disputes and comment on the fickle nature of human relationships, but the popular "distracted boyfriend" meme is sexist, the Swedish advertising standards watchdog has said.

It found that the widely shared image depicts a woman as a "sex object" and stereotypes men, violating regulations on discrimination in advertisements.

The meme places text over a stock photograph of a man looking at a passing woman, to the shock of his girlfriend.

It spread across social media in 2017, becoming one of the year's most popular online memes and being used by celebrities including Dolly Parton.

But its use by Swedish internet provider Bahnhof in a Facebook and Instagram post advertising job vacancies was reported to the watchdog after recieving complaints online.

The post suggested people would be enticed by Bahnhof, favoring it over their current place of work.

"The committee finds that the woman in red, who is in focus in the image, through the man's appreciative reaction is presented as a sex object," the advertising ombudsman Reklamombudsmannen said in its ruling.
It added that the depiction of the woman as a sex object is "unrelated to the advertisement."

And it also deemed the image "devaluing" to men, ruling that "the presentation of the man -- through the way he, while walking with his girlfriend -- turns around looking at another woman -- conveys a stereotypical picture of men looking at women as being interchangeable in the same way as a change of workplace."

The original stock photo, which provided the basis for the meme, was taken by photographer Antonio Guillem.
Its full title is "Disloyal man walking with his girlfriend and looking amazed at another seductive girl."

The committee's president and its seven other members unanimously agreed on the ruling, which was made after 15 private individuals raised complaints.

But while the organization can deem whether an advertisement is discriminatory, it cannot impose sanctions or force the company to remove its post.

The Facebook post, which is still live, received over 900 comments from people both criticizing and defending the ad.

The heated reaction caused Bahnhof to interject. "We like open discussions online," the company wrote, "But stick to the point! Personal attacks and death threats do not belong here and lead nowhere."

"We women deserve to have a good life, have our bodies left alone and considered fully-fledged people. That is not the effect of such a picture," one complainant said after the post was published in April, according to Swedish outlet Expressen.

The original stock photo, which provided the basis for the meme, was taken by photographer Antonio Guillem.

Its full title is "Disloyal man walking with his girlfriend and looking amazed at another seductive girl."
CNN

The irony is, if this was reversed and it was a woman in the central position, you can bet this media outlet wouldn't have a story on it. Hard truth right there, but there's a lot of double standards by some people where sexism and equality are concerned.

eB1Ftsx.jpg

I'm an awful human being then because I've found quite a few of these to be very funny. The Thanos/Gamora/Soul Stone one had me screaming.

Nah I'm with you. A lot of them have transcended the initial intention of the original image and are way funnier because of it.

For me like Black Widow post party where the others have a go @ lifting Mjolnir,this is one thing I'm in no need of answering,I'm definitely often sexist just not in a take someone else's liberty kind of way.

Sounds like a bunch of people finding excuses to be offended and trying to impose us what means to be "sexist" by simultaneously making the term worthless and yet apparently applicable to whatever they want. Your Spiderman facepalming is the best reaction to that "article".

Hah, I'm loving those up there (I'm going to hell, aren't I?) - I haven't seen the Thanos/Gamora one though?? I think this thread should be dedicated to as many of these memes as can be found.

If you didn't see this coming, you're as blind as the bat that bears the name.

If you didn't see this coming, you're as blind as the bat that bears the name.

If you are out with your girlfriend and in a solid relationship or even a first date (it has no difference), if you are looking at another woman's backside or 'eyeing them up' then A) You should question your value of moral compass and B) Shouldn't be in that relationship with the person you are holding their hand or be on that date.

I completely appreciate I am very old fashioned in my views, values and feelings when it comes to relationships but your focus and heart should be in the relationship you are in and not looking for a 'somebody' else.

If you are out with your girlfriend and in a solid relationship or even a first date (it has no difference), if you are looking at another woman's backside or 'eyeing them up' then A) You should question your value of moral compass and B) Shouldn't be in that relationship with the person you are holding their hand or be on that date.

I completely appreciate I am very old fashioned in my views, values and feelings when it comes to relationships but your focus and heart should be in the relationship you are in and not looking for a 'somebody' else.
I completely respect where you're coming from, but I don't think it's that simple. People admire by nature. I'd argue it's unnatural to look around; the problem comes to acting on that impulse when already committed.

One can appreciate beauty without being unfaithful; no different from driving along the road and having a look at a sports car that happens to be driving pass the other way. If you're out on the town and a group of women are walking around in short skirts and tight tops, be you in a relationship or not, you're probably going to look (either with admiration or disgust, but you're still going to look). ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"