DNS settings, what are they and how do i fix them if they go wrong?

Dr Lee

Insert interesting quote here
Reaction score
righty... couple of weeks back we switched internet suppliers at home and since then we have had problem, after problem, after problem with the internet not recognising URLs.

We have a full strength connection to the internet and we can use Tweetdeck and Xbox Live.... but 80% of the time we cannot connect to ANY web pages.

Each time it comes up with a 105 error, while running a quick Diagnose & Repair says there is a DNS problem

And, as neither i nor anyone else in the house know what DNS settings are...... we are in a bit of a pickle.

I'm not a techie guy, i like gadgets, but point me at programming or anything like that i get lost within a few words of an explanation.

Is there anyone out in the Hype that can help with this?

Thanks in advance :D

DNS means Domain Name Service, If most of the sites are not working then I suggest you contact your ISP provider to see whats the problem, maybe someone else here can help.

we called BT (Our provider) maybe 4 times already... they can't find a fault.... yet there is...

Interestingly enough, the XP computers here are having much more success than my the three laptops we have running Vista and Windows 7

I use Open DNS. The Basic Plan is free. Setup instructions are detailed and accompanied by screenshots and a video. It solves a lot of problems with slow loading and unreachable sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davutha
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"