Sequels Do Spider-Man's foes have to be connected to him?.

ElectroGoblin

Civilian
Reaction score
People ask how this series can get past the downhill turn that happens after most third entries in a superhero series. I though about the Rami series and noticed all his foes were connected to him in some form or another which created a small world in my opinion. I feel if they want to expand this, then they have to expand the stories. Keep the main plot about Peter looking into info about his parents, but also have those stand-alone entries with villains such as Electro (if he's not the shadow villain from the post credits), Mysterio, Shocker, and Scorpion (when J.J Jameson's brought in). with this you can expand the series and not feel like the universe is so small that Peter has a connection to every villain, your thoughts?.

I would hope that not every villain is connected to Peter.

Mysterio. That is all.

Peter should wanna stop the bad guy because they are the bad guy and it's the right thing to do,not because he has some personal history with the villain.

Peter should wanna stop the bad guy because they are the bad guy and it's the right thing to do,not because he has some personal history with the villain.

This. Also what is it with all the villains being sympathetic guys who are just controlled by some evil force or some ****? We have Doc "not a monster" Ock in the second film, Sandman in SM3 and now Lizard. Where are all the, ya know, actual villains?

No. Matter of fact, if Vulture were in Spider-man 3 like Raimi originally wanted, he would have been the first villain not connected to Peter.

^ Really...never heard that. Do you know what the synopsis would have been?

Vulture would have been a criminal previously busted by Spider-man(which may or may not have been shown onscreen) whom was out for revenge. While he would have encountered Spider-man beforehand, I wouldn't really call it a connection. He wouldn't have known Peter Parker before becoming a supervillain(GG, Harry, Doc Ock, and Venom) nor had he done anything that effected Peter's life in a big way.(Sandman)

This. Also what is it with all the villains being sympathetic guys who are just controlled by some evil force or some ****? We have Doc "not a monster" Ock in the second film, Sandman in SM3 and now Lizard. Where are all the, ya know, actual villains?
Lol, true, by Spider-Man 3 it seemed like there was an evil force controling the fates of the villains, maybe the simbiote that fell off the sky was the materialisation of that evil force :woot: ...........Just Kidding.....

This! Of course there shall be personal villains but so far, we've almost only had those.

Mysterio. That is all.

YES! Mysterio with no previous ties to Peter, Spiderman or Oscorp. Bank robber, obsessed with Spidermans fame, jealous because of his failed acting career, gets beat by Spiderman (to open the movie), put in jail, goes crazy, learns the black arts, gets randomly chosen by Oscorp for human trials on Normans new "cure" attempt, escapes and becomes the real Mysterio, magic and all. That way, he's new, fresh, not initially tied to anything, but BECOMES a part of the world.

Another unused villain would be great for ASM2, I wouldn't want it be an origin movie either, Peter could find out were said villain came from or the villain themselves could have a recollection of their being.

Well that got rather annoying in the third movie, where they retconned a major event just to get Sandman in there.

But I understand why they do it. It's easier to write. It would look a bit awkward for them to just cut to some random guy who will one day be... whatever villain. Viewers need context.

Ditko and Lee apparently disagreed on that a lot.

But just look at other movies. Take X-Men for example. Magneto, and Stryker both had a personal connection to Professor X. And in the latter's case, also to Wolverine.

Batman... broke the rule, with the Joker. But he was sort of the embodiment of chaos.

Beck gets arrested because of his crazy/unsafe stunts he tries to preform as Spidey swoops in and saves the day. There's your connection. Now, go writing team go! Shazam. Up up and away writing team!

No. But Sometimes it is nice to have a connection between hero and villian.

No but given the direction the series is going with Oscorp as big focus, I believe many of them will be either connected to Peter or his parents.

It's fine if there's a connection as long as the plot doesn't entirely revolve around personal vendettas with minimal wider threat level.

What's better and more creative is bringing in a new character and bringing him into the story later, not taking another character FROM the story and using him. Don't keep using Oscorp scientists, but have unused characters introduced with their own story and BROUGHT INTO the Oscorp storyline.

no more sympathetic bad guys. it's too much. It's really stretching to constantly have them.

Well if we have Norman Osborn then he would obviously have a connection to Peter Parker. But there should be a side villain in the film that is just... bad.

Even though Green Goblin knew Peter Parker in the first Spider-Man film, he was still just some bad guy that Spidey was fighting and it was nothing personal. Not until Norman figured out who he was.

And Doc Ock was a bit of a mentor to Peter, but he wasn't strongly connected. He only spoke to Peter for a day before turning into a villain.

I think it would be cool if Peter finally finds his Uncle Ben's killer in one of the sequels, and finds out this guy is a henchman for the Kingpin or something. That would be pretty neat. Then we can get the Kingpin connected to Norman Osborn/Green Goblin and have a bit of a war between them.

I almost feel as if the movies should take some inspiration from the 90s animated series, since it nailed a lot of the story lines in 20 minute episodes. *Cough* The Venom Saga *Cough*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"