Do you hate dubs?

Nathan said:
Heh... Subs are actually one of the main reasons why I learned English so well. (I'm german btw.)
Really? Were you taking English classes and the subtitled-films were just supportive, or did you really learn english by watching subtitled-films? I ask because I want to learn spanish, and there are plenty of spanish films with english subtitles. I just want an idea of how far I could get.

To answer the question, I won't buy the anime without the dub. Which is why I've been waiting so long for DNAngel :(

FYI,

almost all anime is animated before audio and dialogue is recorded.

That's why I find anime/animation dubbing more tolerable than live action dubbing.

Honey Vibe said:
Really? Were you taking English classes and the subtitled-films were just supportive, or did you really learn english by watching subtitled-films?

I had normal classes in school. But reading subs, watching Movies in English and reading manga scans helped a lot.

It depends on if it's good or not.

I love (and think the dub is better):

Wolf's Rain
Tenchi Muyo

Some anime I like both version to:

Sailor Moon (I only like the Dic/Pioneer dub oddly enough, hated the Cloverway one)

...okay, that's only one.

The rest, so far, I liked better in japanese.

Honey Vibe said:
Really? Were you taking English classes and the subtitled-films were just supportive, or did you really learn english by watching subtitled-films? I ask because I want to learn spanish, and there are plenty of spanish films with english subtitles. I just want an idea of how far I could get.

To answer the question, I won't buy the anime without the dub. Which is why I've been waiting so long for DNAngel :(

...The DNAngel thin pack box set has been out since about Christmas, and it's only like 60 bucks... :confused:

Elijya said:
Dubs on live action movies drive me up the wall. But dubs on Anime I don't mind at all.

hey, that rhymed...
But when they don't synchronise it's also funny as hell.

yeah, but that sucks if it's a serious movie

The only dub i've ever really HATED is Luffy's voice in One Piece, I can't watch the dub version because of that voice.

Wolfwood said:
The only dub i've ever really HATED is Luffy's voice in One Piece, I can't watch the dub version because of that voice.

That's because they did a piss poor job. They really did.

WallCrawl said:
That's because they did a piss poor job. They really did.

I just can't believe someone heard that voice and thought "Yah, this is the sound I want to hear everyday while I'm working here."

nope i actualy like them except for the british voice actors in 3 dbz movies they destroyed the whole movies for me even thought i am british myself

I tend to enjoy the dubs, because they help relate the story more. The unstressed nature of the Japanese language and their spoken mannerisms sometimes caused me to disconnect a little from the story. I understand this now, so it doesn't bother me, but I still prefer good English dubs to subtitles.

I hate when something that sounds good in japanese is translated into english for example "believe it!":mad:

My vengeance said:
Referring to English dubs.

Excepting Golden Boy,I personally can't stand them.I try to steer clear of them as much as I can.

I hate bad dubs. As long as it's halfway decent though I prefer to watch a movie dubbed, for my first time through at least. The reason why is because I feel like subtitles are too distracting from the animation and onscreen action. If the dub is horrible then I'll watch it with subtitles though.

Lucy in the sky said:
I hate when something that sounds good in japanese is translated into english for example "believe it!":mad:

I agree, Dattebayo!

Alexia Dark said:
I tend to enjoy the dubs, because they help relate the story more. The unstressed nature of the Japanese language and their spoken mannerisms sometimes caused me to disconnect a little from the story. I understand this now, so it doesn't bother me, but I still prefer good English dubs to subtitles.

I prefer the original because of this.

I may be the odd duck here, but I don't really feel the acting when it's subtitled. Maybe it's because what I know about the language couldn't even fit a matchbox, but it just fells like someone reading lines to me.

But dubs, when they're good, are even better to me.

So, for everyone here, what do you think are the best dubbed animes? I'll submit Cowboy Bebop as #1, with Neon Genesis Evangelion as a solid second.

A lot of anime is dubbed well. Especially nowadays its gotten a lot better.

Most otaku are just too stubborn or close-minded to admit it.

And once again, with DVD, the industry standard of anime is to have both Japanese and English, english subtitles, etc.

So to me its really not even a viable issue anymore. We don't live in the age of only dubbed VHS anymore.

Elijya said:
I have absolutely no problem with dubs. I prefer to watch my anime rather then read it and miss what's going on on the rest of the screen. Only occassionally do the american voices irritate me so much I have to switch to subs
I feel basically the same way. I usually watch it once subtitled and then dubbed.

I usually watch both.

I think the sub/dub argument has become silly and pointless in most cases. I don't approve of the prejudice against people who prefer the English dubs nor the close minded attitudes of otakus who won't ever acknowledge them when they are good.

^ agree

I generally watch subs, but if the English version of the script has a good enough translation then I like to watch it dubbed as well. The only time I dislike a dub is if I really can't stand the English VAs (*cough..cough..Abenobashi..cough*.)

I enjoy English dubs alot better than original Japanese, but...

One thing I hate about English dubs are that alot of the original text is changed into something that it's not.
Some English dubs change what the original concept was.

I enjoy english dub, but it sucks when some of the original concept is changed by it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"