Do You Like The Multiverse Approach DC Has Decided To Go In?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
How do you feel about the current Cinematic Multiverse approach DC has decided to go in? Can it work better than their previous attempt of trying to make a cohesive MCU style cinematic or will it fail? For me, I like this direction and hope it works out for them in the long run. DC comics was never as cohesive a universe as Marvel and they seem to play around with the multiverse angle a lot more than Marvel. What say you?

Last edited:
DC's Multiverse is one of the main reasons I've been a DC fan above all other publishers for so many years. If they can get this to work on the big screen (in other words, 'Don't screw it up, WB'), fantastic.

I'm on board with the multiverse approach.

Its puts an end to the debate of standalone director driven films vs strict shared universe films.

This way, WB can do both.

Those who want the shared Snyderverse to continue have Flashpoint, WW84, Aquaman 2, Shazam 2, Suicide Squad, JL the Snyder cut, etc,

Those who want standalone unconnected films have films like The Batman and Joker, which don't have to be bound to whatever events happen in WW84 or Flashpoint.

At the same time, the CWverse and other tv iterations can crossover with the film versions and visa versa.

And the best part is, they're all canon , and they're all part of the multiverse.

If it means we get good films , I really don't see a down side to it.

At the end of the day , the point is to make good films.

I am dubious. It doesn't feel like an active creative decision to pursue a specific goal, so much as them throwing up their hands and going "Lets just leave it up to the directors, make it their responsibility". One half spaghetti on the wall, one half convenient scapegoat.

Will it produce better results? Well, *maybe*, but mostly because the floor was already set really low. Thing is, they were *already* getting better results just by bringing in directors and screenwriters who were better suited to the properties, without needing some mandate of canonical indifference. Wonder Woman wasn't good because of auteur independence, it was good because Patty Jenkins was a better storyteller than Zach Snyder.

Basically, it will all depend on how it shakes out. Best case scenario, its an elaborate rationalization for doing more or less what Marvel was doing anyway: "Just focus on making this movie good", with 'multiverse' being an excuse for not sweating the small stuff. Worst case scenario, it results in a Frankenstein's monster where half the movies are deeply In Name Only messes, a ton of terrible movies reach release protected by "Auteur Independence", and the audience is left with no reason to care about any character less famous than Batman because even if they liked ( say ) Aquaman in Movie A, they have no confidence that he will even be recognizable in Movie B.

I dont mind it but I still like having a main continuity.

I like it very much. I'm really excited ("really excited" should have been a voting alternative)

With that said, I have to admit is extremely surreal to grasp that 1966s Batman is canon with not only Arrowverse and Live-action Titans, but also Superman The Movie, Nolan's trilogy, Campbell's Green Lantern, Phoenix' Joker and Jenkin's Wonder Woman. The different styles are not even comparable, lol.

How does this knowledge affect you when you're watching Adam West and Burt Ward now?

I don't like that they dragged Burton Batman into it. Other than that, well, I'm not a fan of the shared universe crossover approach like Avengers, but a lot of my issue with that is that you can't really watch the solo films without acknowledging the crossovers. So how I feel about stuff being tied together depends largely on how much it comes up. If I can watch The Batman and its sequels while ignoring the multiverse, then I don't really care whether or not they're in the multiverse.

I am dubious. It doesn't feel like an active creative decision to pursue a specific goal, so much as them throwing up their hands and going "Lets just leave it up to the directors, make it their responsibility". One half spaghetti on the wall, one half convenient scapegoat.

Will it produce better results? Well, *maybe*, but mostly because the floor was already set really low. Thing is, they were *already* getting better results just by bringing in directors and screenwriters who were better suited to the properties, without needing some mandate of canonical indifference. Wonder Woman wasn't good because of auteur independence, it was good because Patty Jenkins was a better storyteller than Zach Snyder.

Basically, it will all depend on how it shakes out. Best case scenario, its an elaborate rationalization for doing more or less what Marvel was doing anyway: "Just focus on making this movie good", with 'multiverse' being an excuse for not sweating the small stuff. Worst case scenario, it results in a Frankenstein's monster where half the movies are deeply In Name Only messes, a ton of terrible movies reach release protected by "Auteur Independence", and the audience is left with no reason to care about any character less famous than Batman because even if they liked ( say ) Aquaman in Movie A, they have no confidence that he will even be recognizable in Movie B.

WB stumbled onto it no question. It wasn't actively something they originally set out to do, though, they were at least considering this type of thing going back to JL Mortal being released in addition to TDK and a Superman Returns sequel back in the mid 00s.

So, its not as if this was an entirely new concept that they've latched onto. But yeah, this is the result of trial and error.

As far as canon goes, when I speak of filmmaker driven independence versus a continuity, I'm speaking about a debate in fandom , not at the studio level at WB.

That debate concerns WB in so far as they now want to have their cake and eat it to by having a Oscar winning Joker film outside of continuity which doesn't have to account for the events of whatever Reeves or Jenkins, yet have an Aquaman or WW film inside continuity.

I agree that the issue of quality, is separate from the issue of whether they're all connected. Both sets of films can be bad or good without taking into account whether they're connected or not.

The issue of interconnected films and non interconnected films has been among fans , in which there is a segment of fans who want all these films to be tied into each other and/or part of the same cinematic universe and other fans who prefer to have them separate.

This multiverse idea , with respect to that fan debate, can be seen as an attempt to please all factions of fandom, while also giving the studio leeway to attempt stories that isn't bound to film canon. In other words, Reeves Batman and The Joker.

Now of course, there will always been fans who are disagree with whatever option they take, because they don't feel its the right way to do it. And fans will disagree and debate like they tend to do already when it comes to these properties. Fandom is far from united about the right course to take, and ultimately, the studio is going to take the approach which they can do the best.

But at the end of the day , WB, like Marvel, is a business which is catering to the general audience, and if that audience can embrace a Joker and a Batman film with all their differences , while at the same time embracing a Flash film with Affleck and Keaton, that's what they're going to do.

And yes, the audience may decide whether they like one Batman film over another version. Or, they'll except both assuming both are good and won't be as hung up on the continuity issue as fans are . Or it won't be as clear cut in terms of audience response film to film.

We don't know. It can go lots of different ways. No film is guaranteed to be a success or failure. That's up to the audience, and it always has been.

The audience is going to vote with their wallets regardless. In that sense , its a risk.

But, the general audience has shown, that if the film is good , and they like it, they'll embrace it , and reward the studios at the box office.

The films have to be good , no question. To me , that should be the primary goal.

If we get a great Flashpoint, The Batman, Aquaman 2, Static Shock, Abrams led Superman film, and they are all received well by the general audience and do well for the brands, I have a hard time seeing that as a negative.

Very much so. The less constraints directors have, the better.

If this was actually planned out and not a reaction to a chaotic situation, sure

I'd rather they just reboot everything and start again. New Wonder Woman, new Aquaman, new Batman, new Superman etc

I’ll be able to better answer this once they actually get it started.

I do like the multiverse approach of the DCEU, but do wish that this was expanding from an already-successful cinematic universe akin to the MCU. And really, I can't even lay blame at Zack Snyder's feet--this goes back to Bryan Singer's Superman Returns. Had WB & co. successfully launched a Superman franchise in 2006 alongside Nolan's Batman, I think that conversations with Christian Bale might have been a more realistic possibility. And Martin Campbell's Green Lantern in 2008 would have further expanded the DCEU with the cosmos & Amanda Waller, etc.

Even if Bale didn’t want to play ball, WB could have pushed forward with a new Batman—they were already planning it with Justice League: Mortal anyway.

Last edited:
Depends what is meant by their multiverse.

Do I mind different incarnations of Batman, Superman, the Flash (etc) that are each set within their own bubble, and yet aired and/or released to the big screen at the same time? Not at all. It bothers me however when suddenly all of these characters can crossover with each other, and we can have two or three or ten Batman interacting with each other.

I know DC has a strong foundation with their multiverse approach, and I don't so much mind there being other earths with it's own batch of heroes and villains, but I'd rather only have one Batman, one Superman, one Wonder Woman (etc). It's not so different if say, there's another earth (outside of timeline shenanigans) where Batman is Thomas Wayne rather than Bruce Wayne, or where the Flash is Jay Garrick rather than Barry Allen, but I'm not overly fond of doppelgängers portraying the same exact characters.

For this reason, I'm a little ... sceptical about what we're being led to believe is the next direction for the MCU. I don't mind the quantum realm, or even another earth where the X-Men exist and the Avengers don't, but I'm not a fan of a Tom Cruise Ironman etc because we've had and lost the MCU Ironman, and I just don't feel as though we need a replacment.

Besides the fact, having a multiverse can promote both confusing and lazy writing. If a film flops or needs a directors cut or if something changes in a prequel then studios can just roll out with "it's within the multiverse" which is lazy writing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"