The Dark Knight Rises Do you see TDKR's reputation growing in future years?

It's even a possibility that she doesn't look at her time in the league of shadows as an old mistake and she's just telling Bruce that so he doesn't ask more questions about the scar. Watch the scene again, she says it like she just wants to get him off her back. Like saying "meh it's nothing, dont worry about it".

Exactly, a lot of her lines have double meanings but that one just seemed like she was pretty blatantly just thinking on her feet and diverting his attention before he started asking anymore questions.

What's the Joker pic from?

I assume you're talking about the one in DACrowe's post?

baz7.jpg

That'd be Batman issue 17 from the New 52.

To me it is blatant. As well as other posters in the video game section. Does it really have to be confirmed like when Dini and Timm did it for TAS?

Yes, it really does when your only claim is a black jacket.

It really is not anything new for the comics, cartoons, or now video games, to take from what is the most popular image of a character in the pop culture subconscious and to adapt it. This is not crazy talk.

I know that. I have a blog dedicated to the ones for Nolan's movies.

And especially the fact that B:AO is a prequel to two games that treated Bane like a joke, and then happens to star the two most popular (with mainstream non-comic readers) villains in the aftermath of a blockbuster film that came out to one year prior? That is way too on the nose to be a coincidence. Especially when Bane's followers in AO worshipped him like a demigod. Kind of like in Rises...

We've been over this already. For a start Arkham Origins was made by different developers and written by different writers. Every character was improved with the writing. Not just Bane. If it had just been Bane that got a character writing upgrade I'd be agreeing with you.

But everyone from Batman, Joker, Alfred, Gordon to Harley was much better written than the previous two Arkham games.

I appreciate your blog, but your refusal to see this really appears to me to be more out of a disdain for Nolan/Hardy's Bane. It really is as clear as day.

I have total disdain for that god awful scene where Blake recognizes Bruce is Batman based on a look on his face. But I have included that in my blog because the comics did it.

I don't do bias. And I don't see things that are not there.

1) I am kind of insulted you think just because I dislike Knightfall Vol. 1 that means I am making this up and haven't read it.

Based on your comments of it you give the clear impression you are either very rusty on the details or you haven't read it at all.

2) Yes I read Knightfall (twice), and I did not care for the first volume, because the plan of letting Arkham nut jobs out feels run of the mill for the Bat-comics, and after Robin sees Bane break Croc, they both realize it is all a set-up for Batman to be defeated. Fine, Batman has to protect Gotham, but can her seriously take no precautions if he knows this is all a master-plan by Bane to wear him out? Instead, he just goes along and seems surprised when the trap is sprung. It makes him look lame.

Exactly what precautions can he make? He doesn't even know Bane has figure out his secret identity. He has to respond to the attacks of the Arkham escapees as they happen.

So explain to me, apart from watching his back what can he do to prepare for an attack he has no idea when it's coming or how.

3) I recall Batman and Robin grappling with Bane's thugs like "Bird." Which again tips them off that Bane is watching them and this is all an elaborate trap, that they again do nothing to prevent.

Robin, not Batman catches Bird watching them, he tackles him, he tells Batman about it. Batman says he figured Bane was watching him somehow. That was the whole point of releasing the Arkham inmates. But Batman can't turn his back on that even knowing it's all by design for Bane to get him.

I'd love to know what you expected him to do. Just stay at home to spite Bane while the villains run amok over Gotham?

4) I, like many, really do not care that Bane didn't escape or works for the LOS. In a post-Knightfall story (I apologize for forgetting its name) he works with the League of Assassins, just like in Rises. Except now he leads them, just as Ra's originally wanted in the comics. Beyond that, Bane is not a lackey in TDKR. To pretend that he is, is to overly simplify and dumb down the character to fit your narrative of hate for him.

In the comics he goes to work with Ra's after he has made a credible name for himself. When Ra's meets him he credits him as the only man who has come closer than him to destroying Batman.

Compare that to TDKR Bane, who did nothing but rot in a prison pit since birth. Ra's has no reason to think he's anything special.

In Rises he orchestrates a mini-French Revolution in Gotham, holds the whole city hostage, facilitates a No Man's Land scenario on his own, and brings the U.S. government to his knees. In Knightfall he...becomes a gangster. Again, yawn. We have Black Mask, Penguin, sometimes Two-Face, sometimes Joker, always the Falcones, the Maronis, the Thornes, et al. doing that.

Lets re-phrase that; In Rises he becomes a suicidal war lord who's just planning on blowing up the city along with himself. A villain with a destroy the whole city play. Holy originality, Batman. Mini French revolution? Tell me what did we see of this supposed revolution? Release a few inmates? Having rich people thrown out on the streets and killed? Whoop dee doo. That was so worth sitting around for 5 months doing nothing waiting for a time bomb to go off.

He didn't discover Batman's identity himself. When he broke Batman, he was facing an 8 years out of practice Batman holding himself up on a leg strap with a death wish. The worst part? Bane wasn't even responsible for Batman being in that sorry state. The Joker was thanks to the events of TDK.

Bane in the comics came to Gotham, learned Batman's identity, physically and mentally wore him down, then broke him in his own home. Then he took over Gotham, and made himself king of Batman's kingdom. He took out the competition, and scared the rest of the underworld into following him.

He didn't sit on his ass for 5 months watching stupid mock trials and giving Batman or anyone else a big window of opportunity to come in and stop his siege.

Exactly. He only got one episode. How many did Joker get? How many did Penguin get? Hell, how many did Mad Hatter, Killer Croc, or even freaking Baby Doll get?

The Joker, Penguin, Mad Hatter, Croc etc were long time villains around for many years with many stories under their belts when BTAS was made. Bane was a newbie villain, but his popularity and status earned him a spot in the show, and in a movie in 1997.

Irregardless of how badly B&R portrayed him, the fact is he was a big enough name after a mere 4 years to get into a movie.

He was depicted well in Over the Edge (one of my favorite episodes). But its a dream, so it does not really count, does it?

It counts in that he was well written in it, dream sequence or not.

What Knightfall or New 52?

New 52.

See above. And the point is still valid about that episode. Bane is invited into Gotham as a hired gun. So you prefer the mercenary who gets defeated once and that's it as opposed to one who breaks Batman and brings Gotham to his knees?

No, your point is not valid. BTAS is a Saturday morning cartoon which is under constraints and censorship. If The Joker could never kill anyone, Bane is never going to be able to break Batman's back either.

Bane was used effectively in the episode. He was a self made man, with a notorious reputation for being the best. That's why he was sought out by Thorne. He beat the hell out of Croc. He studied Batman. He kidnapped Robin. He beat seven shades out of Batman before he was defeated.

Now for BTAS villain standards in one episode, that is impressive.

Oh, but he worked with Talia, so it doesn't count. I guess I forget that makes him weak...save didn't he work FOR a woman in TAS? I do not see why you are okay with that if you make such a stink of it for the movie.

First of all, he was not working for a woman, he was working for Thorne. He was paying him. Thorne's assistant was just the one who found him. Second he was not being some suicidal idiot who was willing to die for Thorne or his assistant.

Last edited:
Johnathan Nolan says in the screenplay book that Talia left with Bane when he was excommunicated. She was excommunicated TOO because she has the branding scar that Ra's gave her.

Welp milost, since you were dodging me on this, I went ahead and found the interview in the TDKT Screenplays book myself (E-book preview on Amazon) and nope. J-Nol said no such thing, none of them said a word about Talia either, just as I suspected. But it is an excellent conversation, so I'm glad something prompted me to read it.

Damn, that was exciting for a minute though, cause I thought you actually were actually working off a piece of insight that I was missing.

I'm not calling you a liar either, I'm sure you just mistakenly remembered that. Funny what a bias can do. :cwink:

Unless there's some other interview where he said this...in which case, feel free to go Lobster fishing anytime. :awesome:

Yes, it really does when your only claim is a black jacket.

I know that. I have a blog dedicated to the ones for Nolan's movies.

We've been over this already. For a start Arkham Origins was made by different developers and written by different writers. Every character was improved with the writing. Not just Bane. If it had just been Bane that got a character writing upgrade I'd be agreeing with you.

But everyone from Batman, Joker, Alfred, Gordon to Harley was much better written than the previous two Arkham games.

I would say agree to disagree. But it is just so blatant. I notice you haven't either shown a picture of Bane dressed like that in the comics or especially explained why Bane's men worship him to the death in the game, not unlike his men Rises.

Based on your comments of it you give the clear impression you are either very rusty on the details or you haven't read it at all.

I read it for the second time about two years ago. I don't think that makes me "rusty." And yes, saying that it was Robin attacked by Bird instead of Batman does not deflate my point or prove I haven't read it.

Exactly what precautions can he make? He doesn't even know Bane has figure out his secret identity. He has to respond to the attacks of the Arkham escapees as they happen.

So explain to me, apart from watching his back what can he do to prepare for an attack he has no idea when it's coming or how.

He could actually be trying to figure out where Bane is while this is going on or why Bane is doing this. He also has Nightwing (who he refused to call in) and Robin. He could delegate some of the work, and actually try to get ahead of Bane's trap, instead of waiting for it to hit him. It always struck me as weak writing that padded out a story that should have been four issues instead of twelve. And it's at the expense of the protagonist's intelligence.

In the comics he goes to work with Ra's after he has made a credible name for himself. When Ra's meets him he credits him as the only man who has come closer than him to destroying Batman.

Compare that to TDKR Bane, who did nothing but rot in a prison pit since birth. Ra's has no reason to think he's anything special.

That is a terrible argument. In film, conflation becomes a necessity for adaptation. Unless you are going to start complaining about how in BB Ra's Al Ghul picked Bruce Wayne as his successor BEFORE he proved himself to be the world's greatest detective (like in the comics) or as a worthy suitor for his daughter (like in the comics), or how Joker became fixated on his symbiotic relationship with Batman BEFORE meeting him in TDK, this conflation here should not be an issue. Just as Bruce was selected as heir before proving himself, so too can Bane before breaking the Bat. It is a nitpick, plain and simple.

Lets re-phrase that; In Rises he becomes a suicidal war lord who's just planning on blowing up the city along with himself. A villain with a destroy the whole city play. Holy originality, Batman. Mini French revolution? Tell me what did we see of this supposed revolution? Release a few inmates? Having rich people thrown out on the streets and killed? Whoop dee doo. That was so worth sitting around for 5 months doing nothing waiting for a time bomb to go off.

I agree we should have seen more of the revolution. But the storming of the Bastille/Blackgate, the kangaroo courts, the martial law enforced with Batman's own arsenal used as tanks, the hanging of Navy SEALs on a bridge like its Fallujah, etc. are all things I've never seen attempted in a comic book film or even a Batman comic to that level of real world reflection.

Yes, I take that over becoming a "king" of Batman's kingdom, which is just the latest lazy comic plotting rationale to explain why Bane became just another gangster. Yawn.

He didn't discover Batman's identity himself. When he broke Batman, he was facing an 8 years out of practice Batman holding himself up on a leg strap with a death wish. The worst part? Bane wasn't even responsible for Batman being in that sorry state. The Joker was thanks to the events of TDK.

Actually, in the comics Batman had either the flu or at least a very nasty cold. Or did comic Bane mastermind that too by sneezing into Bruce Wayne's soup? :p

Irregardless of how badly B&R portrayed him, the fact is he was a big enough name after a mere 4 years to get into a movie.

And it also showed what a lot of pop culture thought of the character until recently.

No, your point is not valid. BTAS is a Saturday morning cartoon which is under constraints and censorship. If The Joker could never kill anyone, Bane is never going to be able to break Batman's back either.

Bane was used effectively in the episode. He was a self made man, with a notorious reputation for being the best. That's why he was sought out by Thorne. He beat the hell out of Croc. He studied Batman. He kidnapped Robin. He beat seven shades out of Batman before he was defeated.

Now for BTAS villain standards in one episode, that is impressive.

I didn't think so as a kid. Even as a kid, I thought it was a rip-off how easily Batman defeated him. In retrospect, seeing how little Bane was used after the fact, and how Timm apparently shrugged off the character on the BTAS DVDs, and then how Dini definitely treated him in the Arkham games he scripted, I see a half-hearted characterization if ever there was one.

First of all, he was not working for a woman, he was working for Thorne. He was paying him. Thorne's assistant was just the one who found him. Second he was not being some suicidal idiot who was willing to die for Thorne or his assistant.

So, he is nothing more than a hired thug. A mercenary with no vision. And that is somehow better than Rises' Bane, because he doesn't take orders solely from a woman? What does that say? It is okay for him to be shown as a subordinate to a man with fans, but when depicted as an equal with a woman, he looks "weak?"

I am curious on that one.

Last edited:
DACrowe said:
So, he is nothing more than a hired thug. A mercenary with no vision. And that is somehow better than Rises' Bane, because he doesn't take orders solely from a woman? What does that say? It is okay for him to be shown as a subordinate to a man with fans, but when depicted as an equal with a woman, he looks "weak?"

Candace was his main employer. She was going to have Bane kill Thorne next. It is also heavily implied, if not outright stated, that Bane and Candace were lovers.

I would say agree to disagree. But it is just so blatant. I notice you haven't either shown a picture of Bane dressed like that in the comics

Dressed like what? With a black jacket on him? I said that was the only similarity between him and Hardy's Bane.

or especially explained why Bane's men worship him to the death in the game, not unlike his men Rises.

What Bane having henchmen in the comics who would gladly die for him?

zombie1_zps71274913.jpg

I read it for the second time about two years ago. I don't think that makes me "rusty." And yes, saying that it was Robin attacked by Bird instead of Batman does not deflate my point or prove I haven't read it.

That's not what you said originally. You said Batman and Robin were chasing after Bane's goons. That's what made me say you haven't read it because that never happened. Then you got specific in your next post and said they encountered Bird.

He could actually be trying to figure out where Bane is while this is going on or why Bane is doing this. He also has Nightwing (who he refused to call in) and Robin. He could delegate some of the work, and actually try to get ahead of Bane's trap, instead of waiting for it to hit him. It always struck me as weak writing that padded out a story that should have been four issues instead of twelve. And it's at the expense of the protagonist's intelligence.

Ok first of all trying to figure out where Bane is, he didn't have time to sleep let alone dedicate time to search for Bane. He literally had lunatic after lunatic to deal with. It was like whack-a-mole. He knocks one down and another pops up.

As for Nightwing, he said he was his own man with his own responsibilities in Bludhaven. He didn't see the need to bring him into it. He used Robin as much as he could. Tim was leading the double life of school student and son to Jack Drake, as well as Robin.

You're also forgetting Batman didn't know Bane from Adam. They met once very briefly in Vengeance of Bane. Batman didn't know a thing about Bane other than he was in Gotham to get him, and he released the Arkham inmates. It's not like Batman has not handled bigger threats than that before on his own. I mean he's taken down Ra's Al Ghul, a centuries old leader of a huge terrorist organization of ninjas and assassins. Bane looked like a muscle head with a couple of henchmen by his side. Yes Batman under estimated Bane, but then he didn't know Bane had figured out his identity, or anything at all about him.

And he didn't go head to head with Bane after an 8 year hiatus, with a death wish, and a leg strap holding him up.

That is a terrible argument. In film, conflation becomes a necessity for adaptation. Unless you are going to start complaining about how in BB Ra's Al Ghul picked Bruce Wayne as his successor BEFORE he proved himself to be the world's greatest detective (like in the comics) or as a worthy suitor for his daughter (like in the comics), or how Joker became fixated on his symbiotic relationship with Batman BEFORE meeting him in TDK, this conflation here should not be an issue. Just as Bruce was selected as heir before proving himself, so too can Bane before breaking the Bat. It is a nitpick, plain and simple.

Ok for start you are wrong on all counts there. First of all Ra's observed Bruce in the prison. He saw how he fought all those men and won single handed. He saw some potential in him, but he didn't just instantly choose him as a successor. No he put him through the test. First he told him to go to the mountains, find a blue flower, then carry it all the way to the LOS base. Then Bruce had to go through all the LOS training and trials. When he passed all that successfully then he was seen as worthy to be a successor.

As for the Joker, he did the same thing. He saw the changes Batman brought to Gotham. The copycats, the mob changing their methods, and even he himself is a response to Batman's theatrical presence in Gotham. He didn't have to meet Batman to know what he was about. But Joker studied Batman himself. "I wanted to see what you'd do. And you didn't disappoint. You let five people die. Then you let Dent take your place".

He was toying with Batman. Seeing if he'd rise to his mind games and challenges. He found it so much fun. A fellow freak who entertains him endlessly.

Same with Bruce and Harvey Dent. He didn't just trust that Dent was as good as his rep claimed he was. Batman put him to a test, too. He brought him Lau and made Dent prove he could get Lau to talk, and put away all those mob guys. He did.

Now lets look at Rises; Bane trapped all his life in a prison pit and has to be rescued from it by Ra's. No reason why Ra's would think this guy is worthy of being taken in by the LOS at all. Then we have Blake. What in god's name made Bruce think this young Cop he met briefly three times before is a worthy successor for the mantle of the Batman? Just because he has an orphan background like Bruce? That he's a noble guy? Half of the boy's orphanage are good candidates for Batman then.

Rises was so sloppy in handling some of the characters. Especially Blake and Bane.

I agree we should have seen more of the revolution. But the storming of the Bastille/Blackgate, the kangaroo courts, the martial law enforced with Batman's own arsenal used as tanks, the hanging of Navy SEALs on a bridge like its Fallujah, etc. are all things I've never seen attempted in a comic book film or even a Batman comic to that level of real world reflection.

A prison break, a couple of tumblers driving around the streets, a kangaroo court, and hanging some people off a bridge. Really that was a worthy revolution? That was worth a 5 month siege?

Yes, I take that over becoming a "king" of Batman's kingdom, which is just the latest lazy comic plotting rationale to explain why Bane became just another gangster. Yawn.

No it's not. Because once a villain takes over Gotham there's all kinds of exciting possibilities and drama to made from a situation like that. What else can you get from a cliche destroy the city with a doomsday device ploy? Something we already had in Begins, too. Swipe a Wayne Enterprises device and use it to kill the city.

Yawn indeed.

Actually, in the comics Batman had either the flu or at least a very nasty cold. Or did comic Bane mastermind that too by sneezing into Bruce Wayne's soup?

He didn't have the flu or a cold lol. He was mentally and physically worn out. That's why he was seeing Shondra Kinsolving.

And it also showed what a lot of pop culture thought of the character until recently.

Well yeah, they still see Mr. Freeze that way, too, until a movie does him properly.

I didn't think so as a kid. Even as a kid, I thought it was a rip-off how easily Batman defeated him. In retrospect, seeing how little Bane was used after the fact, and how Timm apparently shrugged off the character on the BTAS DVDs, and then how Dini definitely treated him in the Arkham games he scripted, I see a half-hearted characterization if ever there was one.

Bane was a newbie villain, and Batman has a huge rogues gallery. Bane was never going to be a regular appearance. He was only a year old in the comics when BTAS used him. That is impressive that a villain fresh from creation made a leap into the show like that, and was treated so seriously.

As for the Arkham games, it's not like Bane is the only villain that was not handled well in them. Hugo Strange was a puppet of Ra's, Two Face was nothing but a scratching post for Catwoman.

No, it means he's a freelance assassin. Like Arkham Origins Bane was a hired assassin by Joker to take out Batman. He built himself up with a rep for being the best go to guy. He takes a target and executes it his way. Did you see Thorne or his assistant tell him how to do the job at all? No. In fact Bane put Thorne in his place when Thorne expressed annoyance that Bane was going to follow Croc so he could study Batman in action taking on Croc. BTAS Bane was his own man who did his own thing, and took on the jobs he wanted and carried them out his way. Yes not as grand as the comic book Bane who broke the Batman, but then the Joker wasn't as evil and psychotic as the comic book one either. Again it was a Saturday morning cartoon. There was constraints.

But it is better than an LOS reject on a suicide mission for a man who hated him. Almost any version of Bane is better than that.

Candace was his main employer. She was going to have Bane kill Thorne next. It is also heavily implied, if not outright stated, that Bane and Candace were lovers.

No. Candace was not his main employer. She was not going to have Bane kill Thorne. That was something she was going to do herself;

Candace: "With Batman out of the way Gotham could be yours. So could I"
Bane: "And what about your employer?"
Candace: "Well accidents do happen"

Last edited:
Joker, no fair. That comic panel was inspired by TDKR! They totally got that from Barsad and the "have we started teh fire" guy! That concept with Bane followers never happened until 2012!

Johnathan Nolan says in the screenplay book that Talia left with Bane when he was excommunicated. She was excommunicated TOO because she has the branding scar that Ra's gave her.

Could you quote it please. I dont have the book.

TDKR scored 88% on rotten tomatoes with correspondingly high scored among top critics and audiences, is the second-highest rated comic book movie in IMDB behind TDK, and made 1.1 billion dollars worldwide in spite of the fact a movie theatre was shot up. It's a great movie and well-loved by most, except for some backlash isolated to internet message boards.

I love Dini but i can't stand the way he does Bane. You can tell he can't stand him just like Raimi couldn't stand Venom. It shows. BTAS Bane sucked and so did the one from the Arkham games (excluding Origins of course). Ill take Nolan's Bane over them any day of the week.

Could you quote it please. I dont have the book.

I've now checked both books and it's not in either. I also had a SHH! member who owns the Screenplays book PM me to confirm that it's not in the Screenplays book (I referenced the Amazon sample but he double checked because sometimes those leave things out). For good measure I googled "Jonathan Nolan Talia" and "Christopher Nolan Talia" and have been unable to find a single quote from either of them about the character at all.

Until proven otherwise, I'm comfortable saying this is false.

Last edited:
I seriously feel like a juror in a court room, now. Next, I hope you guys break out graphs and video tape evidence.:mag

Joker, no fair. That comic panel was inspired by TDKR! They totally got that from Barsad and the "have we started teh fire" guy! That concept with Bane followers never happened until 2012!

Cute. Always resorting to the cheap jokes and sarcasm in order to make fun of an actually valid point. :oldrazz:

Because if you can't be arsed to see the visual similarities between AO Bane and TDKR Bane, the simple fact is you're in denial. As DACrowe's stated in a few threads, there's a difference between valid criticism and nitpicking for the hell of it. There's a point where hate simply clouds your judgement.

Arkham Origins-Bane is absolutely influenced by Hardy and the comics. The games themselves are a mash-up between the Nolanverse and Diniverse.

I seriously feel like a juror in a court room, now. Next, I hope you guys break out graphs and video tape evidence.

Not really. I just think that would have been a very interesting tidbit , especially considering i never made that association. I dont believe the user flat out invented that argument. Maybe misinterpreted it or something. Or it actually exists (although as batlobster wrote , he already tried to check it).

Dressed like what? With a black jacket on him? I said that was the only similarity between him and Hardy's Bane.

Well, it's more brown than black I always thought...:p

Seriously, yes, it is a similarity, and even you are stating it. Give me a picture of Bane from the comics that looks like AO, please. You are pulling from ones I'm less versed in, maybe you can surprise me. Otherwise, it seems like you might be backtracking a little on this point.

What Bane having henchmen in the comics who would gladly die for him?

zombie1_zps71274913.jpg

Nice find. And if you think the henchmen in Arkham Origins reflect that more than the "Fire Rises" guys on the plane or the way Daggett's right-hand man talks of Bane's followers captured by the police after the Stock Exchange heist, then enjoy. I'll grant you, it does have its root in comicdom, you have proven that. But if you think the way it was presented in AO being so similar to how it is presented in Rises is a coincidence--as is making Bane the second main villain of a video game a year after he was the main villain in a movie where he wears similar clothing attire--then I will not convince you of what is obvious to many other people. C'est la vie.

That's not what you said originally. You said Batman and Robin were chasing after Bane's goons. That's what made me say you haven't read it because that never happened. Then you got specific in your next post and said they encountered Bird.

You're splitting hairs. Robin chased after Bird to get specific. He then relayed this to Batman, just as when he witnessed Bane take down Croc. Batman's reaction was uniformly the same: "That's not good. Oh well."

As for Nightwing, he said he was his own man with his own responsibilities in Bludhaven. He didn't see the need to bring him into it. He used Robin as much as he could. Tim was leading the double life of school student and son to Jack Drake, as well as Robin.

And then he does bring Nightwing into the (superior) Vol. 3. And Nightwing even chastises him for his boneheadedness during crisis mode in both previous volumes (lots of escaped lunatics; then having a broken back and needing a replacement). What Dick really should have said is, "It is almost as if you are behaving like a poorly written character whose decisions are made based on plot convenience!" Actually one of the weakest moments of Rises is when Batman shrugs off Alfred's comments about Bane being "different." So they got that weak spot from Knightfall right in a weird way.

Ok for start you are wrong on all counts there. First of all Ra's observed Bruce in the prison. He saw how he fought all those men and won single handed. He saw some potential in him, but he didn't just instantly choose him as a successor. No he put him through the test. First he told him to go to the mountains, find a blue flower, then carry it all the way to the LOS base. Then Bruce had to go through all the LOS training and trials. When he passed all that successfully then he was seen as worthy to be a successor.

Really? Seeing Bruce (barely) handle his own against 5 or 6 guys makes him ready to be a great leader? Ra's even mocks his ability to only engage a half-dozen fighters in the following scene in the prison cell before promptly kicking his ass twice in the first 15 minutes (once when he is tired climbing up the mountain and once again on the ice). The blue flower test seemed to be something they required all of their recruits to do. Other than his wealth and status, what made Bruce a more worthy successor than the dozens of other ninjas who worshipped Ra's, knowing full well he was Ra's, for years?

It is a conflation, because in the comics, Ra's only discovers the importance of Bruce when his daughter Talia speaks of meeting this amazing Batman person. He then deduces Bruce's identity (like Bane in the comics), and goes to the Batcave (again like Bane) to test him. He calls him Detective, as Bruce's history as Batman has made him the World's Greatest Detective, which is a resume skill that appeals to Ra's. He also forces Batman to "save" Talia and Robin in an elaborate test. All of these elements point to a much more thorough vetting process than in Batman Begins. Bu you know what? I still like Batman Begins and accept this variation on how the character came into Bruce Wayne's life and how Bruce became so important to him. Not unlike how i can accept that Bane took over the LOS posthumously for Ra's and frankly did a better job with them. Yes, in the comics Bane had proven himself by breaking the Bat's back, but hey, in the comics, Batman proved himself by being Batman for about a decade before Ra's considered his importance.

Both are massive changes that get to the same point: Batman and Bane were both considered successors for the League of Assassins/LOS in the comics and films, albeit the films skip both's credentials as earned in the eyes of Ra's in the comics.

As for the Joker, he did the same thing. He saw the changes Batman brought to Gotham. The copycats, the mob changing their methods, and even he himself is a response to Batman's theatrical presence in Gotham. He didn't have to meet Batman to know what he was about. But Joker studied Batman himself. "I wanted to see what you'd do. And you didn't disappoint. You let five people die. Then you let Dent take your place".

He was toying with Batman. Seeing if he'd rise to his mind games and challenges. He found it so much fun. A fellow freak who entertains him endlessly.

Same with Bruce and Harvey Dent. He didn't just trust that Dent was as good as his rep claimed he was. Batman put him to a test, too. He brought him Lau and made Dent prove he could get Lau to talk, and put away all those mob guys. He did.

And in the comics, those relationships were earned over multiple stories--save Batman and Dent trusted each other much more quickly, ironically, in Year One. But Batman and Joker's relationship is at the clingy "you complete me" stage by the time they have their first face-to-face conversation in TDK. They skipped the years of Joker going from considering Batman an intriguing nuisance to a soulmate. Just as they reversed the order of Bane breaking the Bat and getting the keys to the LOS kingdom. And guess what? They both work.

A prison break, a couple of tumblers driving around the streets, a kangaroo court, and hanging some people off a bridge. Really that was a worthy revolution? That was worth a 5 month siege?

Are you saying that there should have been more? Sure. I would love a 3.5 hour version that really got into the ins-and-outs of Bane's Gotham. No Man's Land went on forever in the comics. However, yes, I do prefer that to the presentation of Bane, if only whetting my appetite for more, over just another generic villain after he breaks the Batman. Rises left me wanting more of Bane the revolutionary. And if the movie has one positive influence on the character besides getting artists to not draw him like the Hulk anymore or some writers not to treat him like a meathead, it will be to give him a militaristic edge. Because the last thing Batman stories need is another black masked baddie trying to rule the criminal underworld with violence. There are already too many contenders for that archetype.

He didn't have the flu or a cold lol. He was mentally and physically worn out. That's why he was seeing Shondra Kinsolving.

I think you need to re-read it yourself. I clearly remember that it mentioned, I think by Robin, that he is overcoming an illness early in the story.

No, it means he's a freelance assassin. Like Arkham Origins Bane was a hired assassin by Joker to take out Batman. He built himself up with a rep for being the best go to guy. He takes a target and executes it his way. Did you see Thorne or his assistant tell him how to do the job at all? No. In fact Bane put Thorne in his place when Thorne expressed annoyance that Bane was going to follow Croc so he could study Batman in action taking on Croc. BTAS Bane was his own man who did his own thing, and took on the jobs he wanted and carried them out his way. Yes not as grand as the comic book Bane who broke the Batman, but then the Joker wasn't as evil and psychotic as the comic book one either. Again it was a Saturday morning cartoon. There was constraints.

But it is better than an LOS reject on a suicide mission for a man who hated him. Almost any version of Bane is better than that.

Not really. In film, you don't have to play by comic book rules where the villain must come back. If you are going to make a superhero movie that plays with 9/11 anxieties in a smart way (i.e. not Man of Steel), having the villain be suicidal for the cause is not a deal breaker. Instead, it adds to the verisimilitude of the storyline. And yes, a Bane who is his own man and executes a massive plan that he ideologically believes in that brings the U.S. government to its knees is better than a hired thug, who is manipulated by Candace into even helping kill her own boss after the job is done. If you want to talk about being a lackey...

No. Candace was not his main employer. She was not going to have Bane kill Thorne. That was something she was going to do herself;

Candace: "With Batman out of the way Gotham could be yours. So could I"
Bane: "And what about your employer?"
Candace: "Well accidents do happen"

Still vague. And at the end of the day, he is still a literal lackey. Paid by Thorne to kill Batman, paid by Candace in other ways to "rule the city" with her. I am sorry, but it is plain hypocrisy to hate the Nolan Bane for being treated as Talia's equal and accept TAS Bane, who never did anything that noteworthy and was a subordinate to a gangster who appeared in more episodes, and was depicted as manipulated by his assistant. It just is a double standard, plain and simple.

Last edited:
Seriously, yes, it is a similarity, and even you are stating it. Give me a picture of Bane from the comics that looks like AO, please. You are pulling from ones I'm less versed in, maybe you can surprise me. Otherwise, it seems like you might be backtracking a little on this point.

Other than a black jacket, you have nothing. Not the mask, not the accent, not the build, not the costume, not the characterization.

batmanaomp_610.jpg

021_max_zps15eddf78.jpg

Bane_zps2a632609.jpg

The black vest has always been there. So have the gloves (and venom).

2122137-bane_0018.jpg

That mask should rule out any inspiration or influence you seem to think TDKR had. It's more of a luchador/assassin type mask from Arkham Asylum and BTAS with the eyes and mouth holes than that ridiculous tarantula mask from the movie.

29_zps1c7a1628.jpg

Again, all you have is that leather coat with the waist belt. That's it. It's not like Bane hasn't ever worn a jacket before . . .

Batman-and-Robin-batman-and-robin-1997-23706444-640-384_zps5be3240c.png

where he wears similar clothing attire--then I will not convince you of what is obvious to many other people.

Had the Arkham Origins Bane utilized that "French Revolution" Ugg boot coat that he wears during the film, then you might be onto something. That was Bane's "iconic" look in TDKR, not some leather jacket.

Still vague. And at the end of the day, he is still a literal lackey. Paid by Thorne to kill Batman, paid by Candace in other ways to "rule the city" with her. I am sorry, but it is plain hypocrisy to hate the Nolan Bane for being treated as Talia's equal and accept TAS Bane, who never did anything that noteworthy and was a subordinate to a gangster who appeared in more episodes, and was depicted as manipulated by his assistant. It just is a double standard, plain and simple.

Man, you're just not reading what the Joker is posting.

Bane in the Animated Series is a cartoon character created for ALL audiences, including children. You're kidding yourself if you think the writers could have given Bane his prison origin where he smashes the brains out of rats as a child, or leads bloody prison riots, or breaks the hero's back in two. He had to be "watered down". Just like the Joker, just like Two-Face, etc. They couldn't kill, they were lucky if they could hold/shoot a gun or gas people to give them a rictus grin. Joker can talk about smashing Batman's face in with a cyanide pie all he wants, when it comes to Christmas with the Joker and Batman gets tricked, NOTHING can happen to him, certainly not a disfigured and melting face.

So it's not a double standard. The Joker is clearly weighing what an Animated Series 90s Bane can do vs. what a 2012 film interpretation can do.

Funny how you left things out like, I don't know, Bane ripping Croc apart, or smashing Batman's car in with his bare hands. Bane's overall plan to kill Thorne and take control of Thorne's criminal empire once Batman is eliminated. The capturing of Robin as a boy hostage. Candice was a little trick, and it was implied that Bane was gonna try and get a piece. That's pretty impressive for a television show that aired on Fox and Cartoon Network. It doesn't matter what Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, or any of the other writers or talents involved wanted, the sky wasn't the limit. It has nothing to do with them wanting to do it or not. It wasn't even written by them either. I believe it was written by Mitch Brian who did a fine job.

TDKR had potential, they could have pushed the boundaries as far as they could have gone, but they didn't. Nolan made him a lackey, a suicidal psycho that wants to die in the name of a man that despised him. All your post revolution, "Occupy Gotham" drivel is for naught. That wasn't Bane's motivation. Leveling the city was. Had it actually been about revolution, you might have been on to something. Had Bane been that prisoner, born to life in hell because of his father's sins, you might have been onto something. Had he escaped himself and built himself up as this sort of conqueror of the city with actual aspirations and honor, you might have been on to something. In the end, it was all a ruse. A twist to get Marion Cotillard to be the twist villain. This interpretation of Bane has no depth. Instead, we have another post 9/11 allegory character that goes on the cliched "I'm GOING TO BOMB THE CITY" tirade. We never got Che Guevara, we got a South Park terrorist in a funny mask.

Last edited:
I love Dini but i can't stand the way he does Bane. You can tell he can't stand him just like Raimi couldn't stand Venom. It shows. BTAS Bane sucked and so did the one from the Arkham games (excluding Origins of course). Ill take Nolan's Bane over them any day of the week.

I don't think Dini wrote BTAS Bane, at all. I'm pretty sure he had nothing to do with it. So no, that can't be it.

Most of the characters in the Arkham games, save for Origins, were written poorly. Not just Bane (who was just a big, dumb, video game boss essentially). Even Joker in the end gets downgraded to a simple boss fight villain. Gameplay was what was essential to those games, not the story. That's why Origins' gameplay is criticized as a knock off while it's storytelling is praised.

Last edited:
Has no depth? hahahah ive heard it all now. He was still born in a prison, became one with the darkness, became emotionally attached to a girl that he may have looked at as either a sister or perhaps even a daughter, put in the time and effort into training with the league of shadows, became too extreme for even Ras Al Ghul, made a cult-like following for himself as he teamed up with Talia (both are in it together) where people would die for them. His name (not Talia's) was known and feared around the world. He traveled the world as a mercenary and we have no idea if that was with Talia or before they reconnected. Yep, zero depth whatsoever. He's just like BTAS Bane & Shumacher Bane! :whatever:

Compared to the comics, he doesn't have as much depth. But if you say Hardy's Bane has zero depth then id hate to think what kind of excuse you'll come up with to act like Shumacher/Dini-Bane is way better..

Dini or whoever wrote him in the 90s and in the video games. Whoever it is, their interpretation sucks.

He still looks way more militaristic and tactical with all the straps and such in Arkham. More mercenary, less pro-wrestler. They've been pushing him in that direction visually in the comics post TDKR too.

That was Bane's "iconic" look in TDKR, not some leather jacket.

Not like that look wasn't featured on a movie poster or anything.

Dark-Knight-Rises-Bane-Poster.jpeg

Last edited:
He is still a lot closer to comic book Bane than Nolan's Bane. He is essentially everything Nolan's Bane should have been. Still has everything from the comics that people loved about Bane, but also fits perfectly in with the mercenary/militaristic tone Nolan was going for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"