Do you see TDKR's reputation growing in future years?

Discussion in 'The Dark Knight Rises' started by Bruce Malone, Jan 21, 2014.

1. shauner111 Registered

Lmao! When did i say that i thought Bane was "high brow art"?

Have you seen anything else other than Warrior and Bronson? His two physical roles. Because Warrior is nowhere near his strongest performance. Not a chance.

The Rock could have done the same? hahahahahahhahahahahha. I love Rocky, but are you serious right now?

2. milost Registered

That's how you make it sound man! And I mentioned Star Trek didn't I? :funny:

And yes, Dwayne Johnson could have done those things, easily. If YOU'RE serious right now and don't consider Bane "high brow", then you know he could have done the same. You throw the mask on, have the walk, the wide eyes and come up with the most obnoxious voice ("imposing" if you want to call it that :funny:) you can. He was a performer and quite the showman in his WWE days. You're telling me he couldn't throw Pavel a silly "don't talk *****!" look? He couldn't have performed that hammy, wide eyed Adam Sandler speech on top of the Tumbler? He could have handled the role admirably, and that's not a knock on him either saying that Bane would be above him or that any ex-wrestler could do it.

Just look at "teh tacticalz" and straps,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still wouldn't help how the role was written though.

#352 milost, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. shauner111 Registered

So you've seen Star Trek which was real early in his career, then Bronson (probably his best) and then Warrior. I recommend his other films and especially the British mini-series The Take.

Nope. Dwayne would have came in, brought the muscle, that's it. It's not high brow art, but it's very specific casting. The walk, the body movements, the eye movements and voice are very specific and Rock is not a good enough actor to pull off those nuances and expressions. A performance can be nuanced and it doesn't have to be oscar worthy or artsy. It can still just be a fun performance.

Adam Sandler? :hehe: alrighty!

I've loved Rock since 1997, so i know what he is capable of. But Bane or no Bane, he couldn't deliver what Hardy can, who is pretty unique in what he has to offer. Which is why Nolan didn't just get some star with big muscles.

4. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

This great city...it will endure...

IF YA SMEELLLLLLL

[​IMG]

5. milost Registered

I saw Inception too, and others. Thought he was fine in Tinker, even though I didn't like the film very much.

Bane is not even close to being one of his best. I'm standing by it.

:funny:

Walking like a gorilla? Spewing "you came back to dieeee with yo citeh!"? Throwing mean looks one minute then all bug eyed and wild the next? Yeah, Johnson couldn't do those things. It's not like he ever did any of that before.

Nuanced, expressive, HA. If this was Peter Weller's Robocop where they were filming in the Texas heat and EACH mime movement he made had to be specific and mechanical, then we'd be talking. That's a restricted and nuanced performance, especially when Murphy starts to find his humanity. Bane though? No, absolutely not. What crazy, one of a kind performance is there in the Plane sequence? None. The shirtless sewers scene ("go FINDA him!")? None. The Stock Market where he's wearing TWO masks? Give me a break. The most profound thing in that scene as performance go are those little coked up spastic twitches he has.

Find a way for Johnson to cry at the end when Talia is plugging his tubing back in and it'd be about the same.

And the Rock could have had fun with it. Fun isn't what you're getting with TDKR though, other than some great Selina Kyle/Catwoman material. Is it?

Ov cawse! Tooooooo u!

Adam Sandler Bane

[​IMG]

#355 milost, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  6. milost Registered

:funny:

We wouldn't see his tongue in the mask though.

7. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

If we're talking casting WWE people for Bane...no, The Rock is miscast. We can do better.

We need someone brilliant...

Someone crazy...

Someone roided out...

Someone who's got DAT SWAGGER...

We need....

[​IMG]
    YYYYEAAAHHH!!!! I'M BAAANNNEE DAMMIT!!

BATMAN....YOU'RE FIIIIIIIIIIggggghhhhhRRRRRRREEEED....

I'M SENDING YOU TO A HELLLLLL......in a CELLLLLLLL

THE FIIIIIIIIIggghhhhREEE RRRiiiiiiiiIIIIISES!!! YEEAAH!

#357 BatLobster, Feb 14, 2014
  8. milost Registered

Oh man, that absolutely killed me. I didn't expect it. If I had a drink here, my computer would have been ruined.

Perfect post thanks to the hidden reveal spoiler. :funny:

Someone put a Bane mask on the man.

9. shauner111 Registered

Im dying right now.

10. Travesty Registered

BatLobster is showing a sense of humor. :hmm

11. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

:woot:

I aim to please folks.

:hehe: Watch me go:

Gah, soooo close!!!

[​IMG]

Nailed it!

But seriously guys, Vinnie Mac...as Lex Luthor. Jesse Who?

"I'VE GOT MORE MONEY THAN GAAAWWWWWWDDDDDD!"

12. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I actually--gasp--have to agree with milost that Bane is not at all one of Hardy's more impressive performances.

He has decent moments--the emotion and tears in his eyes during Talia's backstory--but the Blackgate Prison speech really is unintentionally hilariously goofy and totally hammy. I'm a big Hardy fan, and I can't deny that.

I don't think it's all his fault--I think the permanently affixed mask and distorted voice held him back--but Hardy's strange affected accent and how colossally hammy he gets at Blackgate also has to take some of the blame. For the record, Hardy was a hamfest in Star Trek too.

Hardy is a powerhouse tour de force in Bronson, where his no-holds-barred scenery-devouring works much better than his Blackgate speech (probably because his voice isn't so unintentionally hilarious), and excellent in Warrior. He's also pretty good in Inception and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for the much smaller side roles that they were, and even was about as good as could be expected in a dumb rom com like This Means War.

One issue I have with Hardy is that I do notice he has a tendency to put weird affectations into his performances, and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. He could have lightened up a little with the "Heath Ledger from Brokeback Mountain called and wants his voice back" mumbling and grunting in Lawless, and he went way out there with Bane's voice.

But his Bane alternates between some good scenes, some "okay" stuff, and a couple cringe-inducingly cheesefest speeches.

Looked at from a comedic perspective though, his speeches are hilarious.

"For one of YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--dramatic pause--holds the DETONATUH!!!!"

"Gotham is YOWZ!"

"Let me tell you about HAAAARvey Dent from the words of Gotham's po-LEEEEESE Commissionuh....James Goooordon...."

13. Travesty Registered

Heh, I was wondering if you were going to chime in, as I know how much you think Hardy's performance is goofy in TDKR.

14. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

And I hate to say it, because Hardy's my current celebrity crush. But damn, that Blackgate speech is just insane.

15. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

Also, he looks ridiculous when he does this:

[​IMG]

Like some cheesy game show host or something.

16. The Joker The Clown Prince of Crime

Gotham is yuuuuuuurz!!!!!!

17. Tequilla Registered

milost , you browse and post in this boards daily , yet you have been strangely avoiding this subject.

Could you clarify it ? Did you basically completely made up a quote to support your point of view ? Misread ? Lost the book ?

18. I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

"Gotham is yowwwwz! Do as you pleeeeeez!"

LOL. It's like he realized he was in a silly comic book movie and just went for it. But the blame also lies with Nolan for not dialing him down.

Oh, come on. I don't think he actually made up a quote, did he? He probably misread something. No big deal, especially seeing as how forgiving some of you guys are of Nolan's strange direction choices in TDKR.

19. Tequilla Registered

I don't know.That's why i asked him the quote...i dont have the book. I can't confirm it. His avoidance is what i found strange. What did J.Nolan said about Talia ? Im honestly curious.

To forgive , first its necessary to cause harm right ?

20. BatmanBeyond Shadow On The Run

The only thing I could do without in the case of AO's Bane is the voice, which came across as that of a generic Latin thug. Something more akin to Henry Silva's take in the 'Over the Edge' episode would have been preferable.

So I'm one of the only ones who enjoys the Blackgate scene, I take it. :oldrazz:

The 'hamming up', I thought, was part of the plan - you know, theatricality and deception and all that jazz.

#370 BatmanBeyond, Feb 14, 2014
  21. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Yup. That scene is one of my favs.

Hey Tequilla, milost and I actually sorted this out in another thread, and he admitted that it's possible he made it up.

//forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=473467&page=3

It's already been forgiven. But LOL at the last part. Considering how UNforgiving milost (and others) are about TDKR, you can be damn sure I'd have been held up to the same scrutiny if I used a bogus quote to support an argument. The Joker (poster) himself is the king of using references to back up his arguments and expecting the same of others.

[​IMG]

22. Tequilla Registered

Thanks BatLobsterRises [​IMG]

23. shauner111 Registered

It's entertaining. Hardy has said that it was intentionally hammy at points. The hammy stuff you see in the blackgate speech is because of the voice. It's redone. Like the prologue. The original speech is hidden somewhere and im dying to see it. Like the original prologue, the voice was harder to understand but much scarier. Here, we hear the ADR, so it's a lot happier. But i think it probably fits the scene better since he wants everybody to understand and pay attention to him. He's putting on a show.

Acting like a game show host is a part of the plan. He's lying through his teeth. He's like a salesman. It's funny and i love it, but there's parts of it that are also chilling. It's a great balance. Too bad people can't appreciate that balance or the voice.

I remember seeing those scenes in the cinema...."the people!".."Gotham is yourzzz, do as you pleaaase!" I turned to my friends and just went "Hah! Hardy is friggin amazing"

I was entertained. That's why i see blockbuster movies. To be entertained and to think a little bit. I dont usually watch blockbusters because they're usually just fun and games and i still like some substance even if im going to be stuffing popcorn in my mouth. And Rises gave me that balance. I laughed, teared up, had a ton of fun with a lot of scenes, took scenes seriously, thought about the themes a lot, enjoyed the stunts AND the filmmaking/acting. It had it all. This is what PT Anderson means when he says the trilogy films strike the perfect balance.

#373 shauner111, Feb 14, 2014
  24. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I get what Hardy was going for, I just think he goes overboard with it.

25. Lord All Mighty

I liked Bane