Do you think Marvel will EVER get the film rights to Spider-Man?

No. Sony has no reason to give up the rights. It won't happen.

spiderman: 403.7 million domestic, 418 overseas, 821.7 total

spiderman 2: 373.5 ", 410.1 ", 783.6 "

spiderman 3: 336.5 ", 554.3 ", 890.8 " (most fan boys said this movie sucked?)

amazing: 262 ", 490.1, 752.2 (most fan boys said this was the best?)

ALL of these movies had HUGE advertising campaigns, that were offset by the FACT that sony took home merchandising royalties.

amazing 2 will have no such benefit, and 2 weeks after it gets released it runs into GODZILLA.

so sony will never give up the rights or at least share them....right? only if they enjoy losing money.

That depends on whether Amazing 2 makes more money than Amazing 1 or not. If its gross goes up, then there you are.

spiderman: 403.7 million domestic, 418 overseas, 821.7 total

spiderman 2: 373.5 ", 410.1 ", 783.6 "

spiderman 3: 336.5 ", 554.3 ", 890.8 " (most fan boys said this movie sucked?)

amazing: 262 ", 490.1, 752.2 (most fan boys said this was the best?)

ALL of these movies had HUGE advertising campaigns, that were offset by the FACT that sony took home merchandising royalties.

amazing 2 will have no such benefit, and 2 weeks after it gets released it runs into GODZILLA.

so sony will never give up the rights or at least share them....right? only if they enjoy losing money.
As much as people love Godzilla, i doubt TASM2 has anything to worry about with.

As much as people love Godzilla, i doubt TASM2 has anything to worry about with.

the dumber than **** sony Gino movie raked in 44 million in its opening weekend with horrible word of mouth and horrible reviews after its opening day. and most people refuse to call it a G movie now.

NOW the new Godzilla movie is being handled by Legendary, who thus far have a pretty good track record and people have wanted a REAL Godzilla movie since sony screwed up. and the FACT that tasm2 comes out 2 weeks before and NOT 2 weeks after Godzilla will show anyone that sony is a little nervous.

I think Godzilla is being overestimated.

The 1990's film poisoned the well, and today, the fans of Godzilla are a fringe element: it's hard finding people who like the character, let alone those who have viewed the Toho films.

I think ASM-2 will still hold the number one spot.

I think Fox will give up X-Men before Sony gives up Spider-Man ...

I think Godzilla is being overestimated.

The 1990's film poisoned the well, and today, the fans of Godzilla are a fringe element: it's hard finding people who like the character, let alone those who have viewed the Toho films.

I think ASM-2 will still hold the number one spot.

yeeeaaah, if that helps you sleep at night, all the better.

yeeeaaah, if that helps you sleep at night, all the better.
Yeah, exactly.

ASM opened up on a Tuesday. Which was July 3rd and its 1st 3days did $75M. So even if the sequel does $100M it's 1st weekend and does consecutive 50% drop each weekend we're looking at $25M the weekend that Godzilla drops and that's only if it's any good.

Godzilla would have to be a complete disaster to do less than $30M it's first weekend. And I don't think Legendary Studios would allow that.

the dumber than **** sony Gino movie raked in 44 million in its opening weekend with horrible word of mouth and horrible reviews after its opening day. and most people refuse to call it a G movie now.

NOW the new Godzilla movie is being handled by Legendary, who thus far have a pretty good track record and people have wanted a REAL Godzilla movie since sony screwed up. and the FACT that tasm2 comes out 2 weeks before and NOT 2 weeks after Godzilla will show anyone that sony is a little nervous.
TASM2 was officially dated long before Godzilla was given it's release date, shoot it was given it's release date before TASM even came out. And the release date has more to do with Sony's new deal with Marvel/Disney than it does with Godzilla so that's not even a factor. I doubt Godzilla is gonna bomb but it definitely doesn't have Sony shaking in their boots.

Is Godzilla even that well-known compare to Spider-Man? No. I don't think its a big threat. Even if Godzilla and TASM2 open in the same weekend, TASM2 would still get more money.

I imagine King Kong-esque numbers for Godzilla. Keeping in mind King Kong had Peter Jackson (coming directly off LotR) and pretty phenomenal critical ratings/word of mouth iirc.

Opening Weekend: $50,130,145
Domestic: $218,080,025
Worldwide: $550,517,357

Though probably slightly more in the foreign market.

nope he is one of the most popular super heroes out their and he is loved by all ages and is a guaranteed box office smash

sony will never give him up

nope he is one of the most popular super heroes out their and he is loved by all ages and is a guaranteed box office smash

sony will never give him up[/QUOTE

budget was 230 million, domestic gross was 262 million.....nuff said

I imagine King Kong-esque numbers for Godzilla. Keeping in mind King Kong had Peter Jackson (coming directly off LotR) and pretty phenomenal critical ratings/word of mouth iirc.

Opening Weekend: $50,130,145
Domestic: $218,080,025
Worldwide: $550,517,357

Though probably slightly more in the foreign market.

double that

i get the feeling that most people in this forum dont want to see spiderman come home, either because they are in love with sony (gamers) or because they want feel like rebels. time to face facts though, sony will ONLY make money off the movies, look whats happening with the x-men movies, no money for an advertising campaign = poor box office, captain america will drop one month prior to tasm2, and do you honestly think that marvel/disney is going to unleash a MASSIVE wave of merchandise and compete with their own movie?? disney wants spiderman back, and the only way they can make that happen is to put the kee-bosh on a butt-load of spidey merchandise. even if they lose money this way, sony will lose money the other way. which is what m/d wants. look at fox, they think because they bring in millar and bring back singer they are going to have their own mcu, but without advertising, they ARE screwed, and WITHOUT merchandising royalties to support said advertising, they are doubly screwed.

sony will never give him up
IOW, Sony is like Rick Astly. :woot:

I'd be all for Marvel buying back the rights to Spider-Man if they became available. There's a zillion questions to be asked in connection to that scenario though:

- Would Marvel be willing to get into a likely bidding war considering they've been known for frugal spending habits thus far?
- Would they continue to build off the Amazing Spider-Man franchise?
- How would they handle Spider-Man as part of the MCU?

Those are just a few quick ones, so there's many more if we want to probe.

I'd be all for Marvel buying back the rights to Spider-Man if they became available. There's a zillion questions to be asked in connection to that scenario though:

- Would Marvel be willing to get into a likely bidding war considering they've been known for frugal spending habits thus far?
- Would they continue to build off the Amazing Spider-Man franchise?
- How would they handle Spider-Man as part of the MCU?

Those are just a few quick ones, so there's many more if we want to probe.

There would be no bidding war. Marvel licensed the rights to SM and the XM to Sony and Fox to make movies. That does not allow them to sell the rights to others if they longer wish to make them.

What I don't understand is why Disney/Fox/Sony can't just get together and jointly finance a movie with the characters together. Movie studios do joint financing projects all the time (Titanic). This would seem like a no brainer.

Animex is right on the merchandising. Without the merchandising rights these movies are much harder to turn a profit on given there huge cost. ASM still made a profit because of its overseas box office but I am not sure XFC did.

Off topic Man of Steel cost less than ASM but seems to have much more impressive special effects from the trailers. How did they manage that?

Last edited:
There would be no bidding war. Marvel licensed the rights to SM and the XM to Sony and Fox to make movies. That does not allow them to sell the rights to others if they longer wish to make them.

Well I knew that Marvel licensed the rights for SM to Sony, so what does that article mean when it speaks about selling the franchise then? It sounded like they'd be selling them off... I'm not sure how all the business aspects work here.

As cool as it would be for this to happen, I'm having trouble, from that article, reaching the interpretation that SM would be included in the deal. What the article says is that SM is part of their entertainment business (of course), and that they might sell up to 20% of that business -- I don't think it specifically says that SM is necessarily part of that percentage.

Which parts get sold would probably have to be further determined, but even if it were done purely randomly, there'd still be a 4:1 chance of SM staying at Sony (since 20% is 1/5th). Unless this deal specifically calls out SM, I'd think Sony would be interested in keeping him in the 80% that they retain.

Still holding out hope though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"