The Wolverine Do you think The Wolverine could be the best 2013 superhero film?

I just don't see that. But hey we all have our preferences. Thought MOS, Wolverine and Thor where all better then the RT. Especially with multiple viewings.
Mos had a lot of problems when it comes to filmmaking, using techniques that don't fit at all, like using shaky cam in talk scenes where there's no action at all, along with other problems. The Wolverine was amazing until it reached the 3rd part, which was very weak, and there were also a lot of the usual Hollywood clichés of what they think Japan is like, you could even make a drinking game out of that. Thor was pretty generic, the problem was that it was mostly a studio film where you can barelly notice the director's input, though i found the final battle a lot of fun, it was weird and creative.

But Kick Ass 2 is nowhere near that level of bad. Nowhere. Maybe not in everyones taste with the violence and humor, but that comes with the material and for what it was going for it actually improved on the book and told a solid continuation as a film sequel for those characters stories. Critics should have realized that imo. I havn't disagreed with a rating that much in awhile.

Yeah, gotta agree there, but it still wasn't all that good, i would put it in the 60s% at most

Most the time I think the RT can be legit, but this new age of critics is a different beast with social media and personal expectations when it comes to genre films. They can come off way too pretentious and don't give full credit when it's due at times. I expect alot of the overall views on these past years comic films to be much more positive come 10 years. If I let the RT choose my films this year I would have missed out. I personally just can't rely on them.
I don't think they're pretentious (you should see some of the critics here in Portugal, one of the most famous ones gave Lord of the Rings and The Dark Knight 1 star, with the rating going from zero to 5), the problem with most genre films and blockbusters right now is that they've become very stale, still following the almost exact same standard set by Jaws and Star Wars in the 70s. We need more blockbusters to try new things, the only ones i really see doing that are Nolan and Cuaron, while Marvel Studios is making the industry even more comercial, now that every successful film needs to expect a sequel before it's even released.

Mos had a lot of problems when it comes to filmmaking, using techniques that don't fit at all, like using shaky cam in talk scenes where there's no action at all, along with other problems. The Wolverine was amazing until it reached the 3rd part, which was very weak, and there were also a lot of the usual Hollywood clichés of what they think Japan is like, you could even make a drinking game out of that. Thor was pretty generic, the problem was that it was mostly a studio film where you can barelly notice the director's input, though i found the final battle a lot of fun, it was weird and creative.

The third act for Wolverine was definitely weak compared to the rest, but I didn't think it ruined what was overall a solid film in any way. Thought it was by far the best version of the character we have seen on screen. Was hoping it would have at least been in the mid 70s. Which would have been more then a fair rating imo.

I thought Thor was alot of fun and a great adventure film. But yeah, I've seen that opinion.
Yeah, gotta agree there, but it still wasn't all that good, i would put it in the 60s% at most

Agreed. Something in the 60's would have been much more suiting.
I don't think they're pretentious (you should see some of the critics here in Portugal, one of the most famous ones gave Lord of the Rings and The Dark Knight 1 star, with the rating going from zero to 5), the problem with most genre films and blockbusters right now is that they've become very stale, still following the almost exact same standard set by Jaws and Star Wars in the 70s. We need more blockbusters to try new things, the only ones i really see doing that are Nolan and Cuaron, while Marvel Studios is making the industry even more comercial, now that every successful film needs to expect a sequel before it's even released.

Depends on the critics but Ive read some pretty snobby reviews last year. I agree we need more new things and better variety.Seems like we are getting that this year. Hopefully. GOTG, Cap and DOFP all look very different from eachother. Caps probably more on the safe side of things But GOT and DOFP look to switch things up.

I've watched The Wolverine several times since it came out on dvd and it's so, so close to being my pick for the best of the year. I like it more each viewing, but I always feel it tails off after Shingen is defeated. That scene is pure awesomeness.

I love the uncut Ninja fight. But for the theatrical version I agree.

Wasn't The Wolverine in the 70s% or something like that?
Yes, i think that along with X-Men 2 it was the best take on the character.

Believe it was in the high 60's last I checked.

X2's definitely the other good take on Logan. That Lady Deathstike fight remains my favorite one on one in the series but the character himself seems pretty tame in X2 post TW imo. Mangold just got his delivery, humor and rage down perfectly. Loved how he didn't even second guess performing heart surgery on himself haha. He was just down for anything. Jackman being a decade older also worked much better for the character.

Hope Singer can transition the character from TW to DOFP well.

Last edited:
Yeah, i don't think he was any tammer in X-2, still love that mansion invasion where Bobby is afraid of Logan when he was going berserk on the military. As for the 60s%, i think it suits the film, i'm not sure i've seen a superhero film that deserves more than an 8.5 or 9, most are just alright, with the exception of certain ones like THe Dark Knight or Spider-Man 2 where the directors bring their unique styles in all their glory.

We all got our tastes. Not saying these flicks deserve the 90s of Dark Knight, Spidey 2 or Avenger RT scores, but 70s/early 80s for them would represent my overall views more. Good not great. To each their own though. If I went by the RT scores on seeing these films I may not of given them a chance. Been better for me just ignoring them. Then checking them out later. I personally liked TW almost as much as FC which got high 80s. Different film and not flawless but both were strong.

MOS was my only disappointment, but I think my expectations were way to high. I appreciated it alot more the second time, which doesn't happen alot with me this close to release. Love that Faora fight.

Last edited:
MoS the kind of film i enjoy watching for the fights, but it was trully nothing spectacular in terms of plot, being a Zack Snyder film i wasn't expecting more than that, so i can say i was somewhat pleased, only expected the flashbacks to be better handled and paced in the story.

Now that you mention The Avengers, i honestly don't think it deserved to be in the 90s, i would put in the 60 or 70s, yes, shocking i know :p

Haha That film was like Star Wars level for me. But there's fans here who don't like that, Dark Knight or Spidey 2. I'm a huge Tranformers fan. Not exactly the most popular opinion on the net haha

Last edited:
When last checked The Wolverine was around 69 on RT.

It's behind MS 2013 films on RT but ahead of non marvel films like Man of steel,Kick ass 2,and Gi Joe 2.

Its not behind Thor: The Dark World

The Wolverine - 69% (212 reviews)
The Dark World - 65% (217 reviews)

Its not behind Thor: The Dark World

The Wolverine - 69% (212 reviews)
The Dark World - 65% (217 reviews)

sorry In discussion someone said dark world was at 82.

The Wolverine then was second highest comic book film with critics.Iron Man 3
unfortuly was top one:whatever: while i certinly don't agree with that I won't be
saying RT sucks like man of steel fans do

sorry In discussion someone said dark world was at 82.

LOL aren't you following Rotten Tomatoes. The RT rating of Dark World fell down really fast when more reviews came in and currently has a 41% rating with the top critics.

Anyway, I could see why Iron Man 3 got a higher RT rating. Its more consistent and its final act is better than the Wolverine's final act. and usually the 3rd act is the most important part of the film and the one that sticks to the audience the most when they left the theater.

They were probably talking the Audience Rating on RT. For T:TDW, it's 83, for The Wolverine, it's 70.

I pay more attention to audience ratings than Critics (especially American critics) myself, but in the end, it's my own opinion I go with.

I enjoyed T:TDW more than the Wolverine, but I still enjoyed The Wolverine. I think as fans we were lucky that Fox landed Hugh Jackman for the role because he always does his best to do justice for the role. For any eventual recasting, I feel bad for that actor, because H.J. set the bar pretty high and it's hard to imagine anyone else in that role.

With TDW coming out I have watched it a few more times and it just gets worse and worse, I then watched The Wolverine last night and that just gets better and better each time I watch, same with MOS. These 2 are easily the best CBM's of 2013 for me, and the only ones that have got better with more viewings. IM3 and TDW both got worse, while KA2 stayed around the same, though its still very under-rated.

I agree with another poster who says TW tails off after the Shingen fight though, that is the climax of the movie totally, and while the EE ninja fight is cool, the finale is still poor.

No shock as of right now but Mangold said on twitter they are shooting Wolverine 3 after Apocalypse is done.

So 2017 is now doubtful, unless they start shooting when Apoc finishes filming, 2018 seems more likely.

I prefer 2017. To me 2018 seems like a long wait even if its just 2 years after Apocalypse.

Unless they start shooting after right after the release of apocalypse in 2016 then it does seem likely to be 2018

If Hugh jackman Is In Apocalypse 2018 Is more likely. He might prefer a year before playing wolverine again.

james Mangold's comments pretty much confirm unofficially Hugh will be back for third wolverine film. Apocalypse. And there may be reason why next wolverine has to wait for
Apocalypse to be finished first.

^Yeah a lot depends on Apocalypse and if Wolverine has a role in that movie. I imagine at this point he does but we will see. But yeah 2017 or 2018 will be when we get Wolverine 3.

James mangold on twitter say the wolverine cost 117 Million to make.Lower than some
thought.

^Not by much though, the movie officially had a $120 million production budget, we all knew this from the start. Mangold obviously came in below that when everything was finished. Shame he didnt use that $3 million to make the final battle better though.

The Wolverine (especially the uncut version) is one of the best superhero films ever made, and by default, one of the most underrated.

The biggest complaint is that the last act goes off the rails with CGI and silliness. I just don't see it. As far as fully CGI creations go, the Silver Samurai is pretty low key in execution. Yeah, I can't lie and say I would have preferred it if he was simply in a kick-ass Samurai outfit like the comics, but the suit matches the themes of the film and the character at least. It's not just a big 10ft mech for the sake of having a big 10ft mech.

And while the CGI kinda clashes with the more ground look of the film, the last act itself retains the same tone of the first two. So while I get a feeling the last fight is a little off to a degree, I simply can't see how people find it to be so over the top like they proclaim. The way some people go on about, you'd think the film went full Transformers of something. Also, I don't find much more jarring or OTT than the train fight.

For me, The Wolverine is one of the best examples of a comic book film not feeling overtly like a comic book film in the best way possible. It's mostly low-key, gritty, character driven and grounded. Yet at the same time, it's understanding of the character and the source material keep it firmly planted in the comics so it never feels like a standard action thriller dressed up like a comic book film (coughcoughTheDarkKnightcoughcough).

My 2013 superhero film rankings are as follows:

1. Iron Man 3
2. Thor: The Dark World
3. The Wolverine
4. Man of Steel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"