Do you want an origin story or he has been supers and we get flashbacks of the past?

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Godman, Aug 28, 2011.

?

should the movie be an origin story?

1. Starting from krypton origin story

2. is already a world wide celebrated figure

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Thundercrack85

Thundercrack85 Well-Known Member

Superman really needs a movie focusing on his origins. He has the most famous origin story of any superhero. The last son of an alien world raised on Earth. In light of Batman Begins, it's mind boggling that they have yet to make one.

You could easily make a movie just about Jor-El and Krypton. And a trilogy for a young Clark Kent.

2. RetrogradeOrbit

RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

I think that we will see Clark starting off as a young man wandering around the World trying to decide, with all these powers, what his destiny is and then with flashbacks, some of his childhood years. Perhaps scenes which show him arriving on Earth and various other scenes showing how his characteristics developed by being raised on Earth, hopefully some bits showing his powers manifesting themselves. Then later on (somehow) him donning the mantle, so to speak.

I know this sounds a bit like Batman Begins, but to be honest I was more than satisfied how they handled how Bruce Wayne came to be Batman in that and would be happy to see something similar with MoS.

The only way I can see the Kryptonian events occurring is in a linear fashion, so I would expect that to be at the beginning of the move. Culminating in seeing Kal-El sent off to Earth.

This movie is going to have to be three or four hours long minimum I tells ya!

3. SuperFerret

SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

And the award for most random tangents in a single post goes to...

I'd prefer an established Superman. Everyone knows the origin already, no need to see it again.

4. Llama_Shepherd

Llama_Shepherd Well-Known Member

It should be like Batman Begins, the main events begin 6-12 months before he becomes Superman, the rest is told in flashbacks.

5. Lunar_Wolf

Lunar_Wolf WTF face

I'd like the origins explained/shown through the opening credits. Watchman's opening titles were outstanding.

6. SuperMike335!!

SuperMike335!! Well-Known Member

So you want it to be original by doing what BB did?

7. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

I don't see where I said original...

I just said I hope they do something similar to BB and start at a point in the story we haven't seen before, rather than simply starting at the beginning.

I'm fully aware that a non linear structure is not 'original' in films.

8. SuperFerret

SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

I'd prefer a linear structure for the most part. Don't try anything fancy, just tell us a Superman story for frog's sake.

9. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Everyone knows, fewr people understand, and even fewer care. They need to care for the movie to be good. "Everyone" also knew Batman's origin in 2005, but the movie was a lot better for exploring it from a new angle.

Whoa, whoa, back in reality, when have the masses ever rejected something because it's "merely adapting a successful formula?"

This is where I am. Aping Begins' non-linear origin story is, imho, the way to go. It's not overdone, and most people aren't savvy enough to draw the lines, at least not during the viewing. The movie can linearly deal with Clark's introduction to Metropolis, while dealing with Smallville in flashbacks. I mean, the scene where he walks into his childhood home as Superman is MADE for a flashback...

Extra points if Krypton is not the first thing we see.

10. hopefuldreamer

hopefuldreamer Clark Kent > Superman

Completely agreed.

Althought I'll be happy for Krypton to be the first thing we see if it's a scene relating to Zod's villainy/Zod and Jor-el's feud, and not just the 'krypton collapses - baby flies off' into space scene.