Doctor Sleep

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Cusack wants Doctor Sleep

Posted: February 19, 2014, 23:20:36
Section: Book » Doctor Sleep

John Cusack in yet another King movie? If you ask the actor himself the answer is yes.

John Cusack has declared his interest in starring in a big screen adaptation of 'Doctor Sleep,' Stephen King's sequel to 'The Shining.'

While there has been no definite talk of a 'Doctor Sleep' movie, Cusack singled it out in a Reddit Ask Me Anything Q&A as a project that he would "accept in a heartbeat" if it was offered to him.

Read more here.

I remember when Cusack was on a roll in the 90's and early 2000's. He's a hit and miss lately.

That's pretty spot on casting. I just finished the novel and it's pretty damn good. Better than i expected anyway.

{EXCLUSIVE} AKIVA GOLDSMAN ADAPTING STEPHEN KING’S “THE SHINING” SEQUEL “DOCTOR SLEEP”
Akiva Goldsman has been tapped to write the script for Stephen King’s Doctor Sleep, the sequel to the horror classic The Shining. Goldsman is currently serving as a writer and producer on Sony’s adaptation of King’s The Dark Tower series.
Dino-Ray Ramos said:
Academy Award-winning screenwriter Akiva Goldsman will adapt Stephen King’s DOCTOR SLEEP, the sequel to the horror classic The Shining, for Warner Bros.

Originally published in 1977, The Shining follows Jack Torrance, his wife Wendy and their son Danny and their lives at the haunted Overlook Hotel. While there, the hotel possesses Jack and he slowly takes over the hotel and torments Wendy and Danny.

Doctor Sleep takes place years after the events at the Overlook Hotel and focuses on the the now middle-aged Danny who is still traumatized. He’s followed in his father’s footsteps and has problems with anger management and alcoholism. He soon gives up drinking and settles in a small town in New Hampshire. While there, his psychic abilities start to resurface and he develops a psychic link with a 12-year-old girl named Abra Stone who he must save after he discovers her life is being threatened by a tribe of paranormals led by a man named Rose the Hat.

Stanley Kubrick’s adaptation of The Shining was released in 1980 and has since become an iconic film, marking a pop cultural benchmark and a template for horror filmmakers.

Goldman’s involvement with Doctor Sleep comes shortly after the casting of Matthew McConaughey and Idris Elba in Sony’s adaption of The Dark Tower, another one of King’s wildly popular book series. Goldsman is an obvious choice for the screenplay considering his familiarity with King’s work, specifically in penning an early draft of The Dark Tower script and serving as a producer on the project. He has plenty of experience adapting other high-profile literary adaptations as well, including The Da Vinci Code, The Divergent Series: Insurgent, and The 5th Wave.

Jon Berg and Jon Gonda will oversee for Warner, while King will serve as an executive producer on the project. No release date has been set.

Goldsman has an extensive list of writing and producing credits, including an Oscar win for his screenplay for 2001’s Best Picture A Beautiful Mind. In addition to The Dark Tower, Goldsman’s forthcoming projects include Rings, Transformers 5 – for which he heads up Paramount writers’ room – and the horror fantasy Stephanie, which he directed.

The book was pretty bad. The sections that focused on Danny's life between the 70s up through about the early 2000's were good but then the main plot with the traveling band of vampires stalking the psychic little girl just kind of failed to hold together. If the movie just chose to focus in on Danny, his own dealings with alcoholism and his work in hospice care then this could be worthwhile.

If they're going to do this I'd like to see them remake the Shining.

I'll join his cause. Haven't read this book but it sounds really stupid.

Is Samuel L Jackson going to be in this to complete the Cusack/Jackson trilogy of Stephen King movies?:o

:facepalm: John Cusack...

mtmpu.jpg

It speaks true to Cusack's level of talent, that he constantly has to 'declare his interests' in certain parts. I enjoyed the book and I hope never to see Cusack in the role. His face is just irritating, and his acting is at an oxymoronic level of mediocrity that I didn't even think possible. Sufficed to say, he just rubs me the wrong way. In the book, Danny Torrance basically grows up to be a somewhat better natured version of his father, i.e., a charismatic, lovable rogue/jerkass with a heart of gold that'll let you down. John Cusack is many things ('is', not 'can act as') but he is not charismatic, he is not lovable, and he is definitely not suited in the role of a rogue or a hardass. He's just bland. To paraphrase a line from Sixteen Candles: 'it's just....void, y'know?'

The book was pretty bad. The sections that focused on Danny's life between the 70s up through about the early 2000's were good but then the main plot with the traveling band of vampires stalking the psychic little girl just kind of failed to hold together. If the movie just chose to focus in on Danny, his own dealings with alcoholism and his work in hospice care then this could be worthwhile.

Have to agree to disagree. This was King's best book in years, and a damn good emotional closing to what began in Shining.

EXCLUSIVE: After the out-sized grosses on the Stephen King novel adaptation It, Warner Bros has put it sequel to King’s The Shining on the fast track. Mike Flanagan has been set to direct Doctor Sleep, an adaptation of the 2013 King novel that picks up the life of the Redrum kid Danny Torrance when he is in his 40s and struggling with the same demons of anger and alcoholism that plagued his father. Flanagan will rewrite the script originally adapted by Akiva Goldsman.
http://deadline.com/2018/01/the-shi...os-stanley-kubrick-jack-nicholson-1202270283/

Throw Akiva's script into a furnace.

Akiva should never be let near a King-adaptation ever again. Hopefully Flanagan can deliver again.

Nice. Wonder which Flanagan alums are going to be in this.

Huh, interesting.

Pretty low on my list of people I’d consider to play Jack Nicholson’s son.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"