Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness general news and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' started by Speed Force, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Albright Registered

2. Silvermoth Avenger

Oh well fair enough, it was never going to have rivers of blood or anything

psylockolussus and BoredGuy like this.
  3. Consona Registered

Lol, Feige, that f***ing wimp of a producer. Poor Derrickson. I was looking forward to this, but seems we will get another sterile disneyfied meh-fest.

blackdragon6 and Hello2016 like this.
  4. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

:whatever: k

like Silvermoth said, this was never gunna be some gore-fest
    If they oversold it as a Horror Movie, people would've b**ched it wasn't scary enough
    he's tempering expectations, so when it does have those scary moments people will be more shocked

Limonade, Silvermoth and THORin like this.
  5. Albright Registered

some of the Harry Potter movies are pretty scary for a PG or even lower rating ( in Germany we have from 6 years and from 12 years)
    The Emperror in Rise of Skywalker was also pretty scary

6. djsunyc Registered

get out was a great scary movie and i don't know if there was any blood in it.

7. Melpardus Registered

There was at the very end but that didn't really contribute anything to the horror element, since it was never the point of the movie anyway; I was actually a bit disappointed when it went that direction.

8. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

They aren't gonna turn Doctor Strange into The Conjuring.

Limonade likes this.
  9. Consona Registered

What has some blood to do with this?

But I was expecting something at least ballsy. They give the film such a good name, but it's gonna be just another rather-cool misnomer. Like Civil War being just an airport brawl.

Doctor Strange has such a potential to be crazy and astounding, but it's under MCU and Disney so I'm not holding my breathe in anticipation it's gonna be awesome.

I hated how such of a missed opportunity Kaecilius was. Eh, why do I get even upset about this, the blandness is something to be expected here...

Hello2016 and blackdragon6 like this.
  10. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

Feige only said it wouldn't be a straight uphorror film. You haven't seen a single frame shot to claim what you just said, the film not being "ballsy".

And Civil War wasn't just an airport brawl. Well if that's your mindset then I guess nothing in this movie would please you.

11. Consona Registered

The name was a pompous bulls**t, there's no way around it.

Yea, I hope I'm wrong, but after 10 or how many years of MCU, I've kinda lost hopes for getting something unchained and awesome.

12. Yowza Registered

The pullback revisionist marketing by Kevin Feige is nothing new. He did it with the Dark World citing it's not really dark in what I read kind of har har. Even when he went out at Comic Con with Scott Derickson you could tell he just wanted to step on Scott Derickson's spin as an MCU PG-13 horror film.

Sure one way of looking at if this was his first movie would be maybe he's not trying to repeat what other studio's like Sony have done with Venom in terms of marketing it as R then pulling back and saying PG13. Still though, there's no notions out there pertaining to this sequel of Dr. Strange anywhere near that though so even then I think it's really just him wanting to control things making the film pass his narrative lens that reflects well on him as a producer both personally and professionally.

The Feigester's sensibilities are supersensitive to avoiding anything controversial and trying to keep HIS (supposedly creator friendly/teamwork centered) movies relevant in a light popcorn flick anyone can just walk in and for the most part see at any moment without really missing anything; formulated crowdpleasers superficially trying to be non-risque and promoted as SJW relevant to be recognized culturally as content wise pretty by the numbers.

13. Albright Registered

oh boohoo...I‘d rather see formulated crowdpleasers, than a dark dc comicbook movie which make me feel bad, reminding life and mankind is dark and corrupt
    I pay 15€ to go to the movies because I want to be entertained and not being depressed

#114 Albright, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Limonade likes this.
  14. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

I'm not too worried. I don't think losing Scott Derrickson is like losing a James Gunn would have been for the Guardians of the Galaxy. I'm still just as excited as I was when the project was first announced. This and Thor Love & Thunder continue to be the two movies I'm looking most forward to in the next phase

TheVileOne likes this.
  15. Marvolo Registered

I suspect he wanted to do an actual horror movie and push the PG13 to its limits, but Disney and Marvel Studios are too spineless to do anything like that with the MCU.

16. Hollis Mason Registered

Uh? What kind of thinking is this? Just because a movie is dark doesn't mean it can't give you a good or inspiring message. Some "dark" and depressing movies alone are far better than the entire MCU complete. Art is supposed to make you feel, and express your emotions. Cinema is art. Its more than entertainment. Quality art. Not allowing the subgenre to be more than mindless entertainment will kill it some day. And its a terrible and mediocre view of what a movie can and should archieve.

#118 Hollis Mason, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  17. blackdragon6 Registered

Called it!, I knew Derrickson was gonna leave. Pretty cool for him to stick to his guns tho. Maybe he can work on something original, or maybe do a horror Dr Fate film, or the much rumored Justice League Dark, or The Trench. Who knows.

Limonade and Hello2016 like this.
  18. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I got real excited about Derrickson's words, but now... this is deflating.

Who they get next will be telling. I'm just expecting another Marvel movie now.

blackdragon6 likes this.
  19. legendkillin Registered

I think Marvel will be fine and Derrickson. I don't think he hung around the actors and studio as much as other directors. Taika was a director that showed up when other movies were filming, which showed he wanted to stick around longer and do other things. Dr.Strange one was good but Russo's did really well with the character and with the movie having Wanda they may get someone that is more in tune with the whole universe. With this being multiverse it will have references to other movies and maybe a big set up for future films. He isn't the first one and done director.

Limonade likes this.
  20. samsnee Ok

Yeah Derrickson was fine but not exactly as exciting as Taika or Coogler.

I wonder if he wanted to take it darker and scarier and Marvel said no.

21. MahvelBaby! Registered

My excitement is contingent on who they get as a replacement. Derrickson isn't the greatest director but I would have liked seeing him go all out in a sequel.

22. Mysteryman Registered

There are rumblings over at Empire online that Derrickson was unhappy with the release date. This film is supposed to introduce the MCU Multiverse. Maybe Derrickson thought that he needed more time to get the job done.

23. MahvelBaby! Registered

That's a super weak reason if so.