Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness general news and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness' started by Speed Force, Jul 23, 2019.

1. ArmsHeldOut James K. Delaney

If I'm being honest, I never much cared for Derrickson's take on Strange; the Russos did a much better job w/ the character. So, this might be for the best.

TheVileOne likes this.
  2. Everett Ross Everstrange Stross

Or his vision wasn't that good and Marvel chose to cut ties with him. We don't know what happened.

TheVileOne likes this.
  3. MahvelBaby! Registered

I really hope they delay the movie tbh they need to find the right person

4. MahvelBaby! Registered

5 months before production...no way they didn't already know his vision something changed

psylockolussus likes this.
  5. Everett Ross Everstrange Stross

Maybe Matt Shakman (GoT, Fargo, The Boys, IASIP, WandaVision) will have his first shot at directing a feature-length film.

6. MahvelBaby! Registered

No more GOT directors in the MCU lol that's bad luck in a 2nd film

7. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Some of the rumors I've read and seem plausible are he didn't like the release date, had some issues with the script that was partially rewritten by Jade Halley Bartlett, and got some pushback on the horror elements since they may not have been allowed in China due to some of their weird rules about ghosts and the supernatural.

THORin and MahvelBaby! like this.
  8. Albright Registered

A 2021 release won‘t happen now, only if they improvise the production, and this is never a good thing for a movie, that should be well developed.
    Maybe Thor will get the May release now
    They won‘t keep the important May release date empty

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  9. MahvelBaby! Registered

I'm really hoping for a push back to be honest.

10. Everett Ross Everstrange Stross

I think he would be a safe choice since WandaVision will tie into Doctor Strange. Also, he will no longer be a rookie working with Marvel, and probably already knows the general plot of the movie.

Btw, Matt Shakman directed The Spoils of War.

[​IMG]

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  11. Webfoot Hero West Coaster

I bet Marvel is actually closer to naming a new director than we think. Feige has probably been aware of issues with Derrickson for some time and this press release they did was just them officially ending the relationship for now. I wouldn't be shocked if we hear who the new director is within the next month to month and a half.

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  12. Yowza Registered

I thought about Scott Derrickson leaving while writing my previous post (this past Saturday on the 4th in this thread) in response to the little har har pullback promotional thing his Feigeness likes to do that was circulating the net last week and I also wondered about this after watching their interactions on stage while they were promoting Dr. Strange at Comic Con.

Oh, and this whole release date excuse being the only reason for Scott Derrickson leaving is nothing new from a PR standpoint. Other companies have done this too like AT&T after the WB buyout when the whole taxbreak reason started floating around in response to the show being cancelled which of course was not the case. The only difference here is Disney's the worst when it comes to lame PR tactics and subpar formulaic content.

I've been noticing Disney and Marvel Studio's have been censoring their movies for China at the expense of character design in a number of movies now including Black Widow which I commented on in that thread about this. As a result, I am not going to be subscribing to Disney+ nor really paying to see any of their movies. ESPN I can't really avoid but that's all the money they'll funnel from me.

Netfix I'll just stick with as far as SVOD's go. This supposed ultra premium content (20-30 min. segments that pretty much make a cheaper full movie at 6 episodes) isn't probably going to have as interesting of narrative as a lot of syndicated programming anyway no matter how many watered down IP's Kevin Feige wants to tout.

Hopefully the comic book genre will open up on a more frequent basis variety wise and these boards might have more people who aren't just fans of a certain type of film if the forums are organized in a way to reflect that.

#137 Yowza, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  13. Albright Registered

It all makes sense now:
    the lack of casting rumors whereas Thor L&T already had more news though the script isn’t finished yet

the Fasttracking of WandaVision, which starts now 4-6 months earlier and might not tie into movie as much as usually planned. The events might affect the movie, but since they are now 4-6 months apart they won‘t be so connected as used to.

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  14. Consona Registered

[​IMG]

terry78 likes this.
  15. Everett Ross Everstrange Stross

People acting like he's some amazing auteur that is going to have his "vision" ruined by Feige. I don't get it.

We don't even know what those creative differences may have been.

Limonade and samsnee like this.
  16. Consona Registered

The MCU is proud to present... The Multiverse of Madness!!!

[​IMG]

blackdragon6 likes this.
  17. Albright Registered

It don‘t bothers me, that Derickson is out...it bothers me, that they have to improvise now.
    Multiverse would‘ve been the most important movie of phase 4 - for me because Doctor Strange is my favourite hero and also for the future of the MCU because it will be a crucial point of the multiverse-setting

MahvelBaby! likes this.
  18. TheVileOne Registered

To be honest, the horror stuff sounded weird. It's not something I really associate with Doctor Strange. When I think Doctor Strange, I think magic, mysticism and weirdness. Not necessarily horror.

And if Marvel wants this to be a proper introduction of the multi-verse, I'm not sure how that would work and gel with Derrickson's "horror" plans.

Shuri, psylockolussus and samsnee like this.
  19. MahvelBaby! Registered

Derrickson being out isn't the issue it's him being out so close to production that's worrying.

I don't think they have a month to find a director the sooner the better.

psylockolussus likes this.
  20. Closerframe Registered

People are misconstruing Derrickson‘s comments on making Doctor Strange a horror movie. I think he was alluding to some of the aspects seen in the comics that featured the undead and some of the darker sides of magic which could be perceived as “horror”. Marvel needs to take a hint from DC, for once, and have separate universes where more adult films can exist without being tied to a more interconnected universe.

21. samsnee Ok

Marvel’s box office clearly supports what they want to do. We as fans may want them to try newer things but as long as the box office grosses remain what they are, then don’t expect too much out of the box change.

22. samsnee Ok

I agree. Derrickson’s biggest movie before DS was Sinister. Hardly noteworthy unlike Coogler who had Fruitevale Station and Creed or Taika who had What We Do in the Shadows.

23. jolldan Registered

24. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

Hmm I knew 4 movies in 1 year is too good to be true as things like this happen all the time Unless they find a director very soon,this will be moved to 2022. 6 years after the first movie! Damn.

#149 psylockolussus, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  25. psylockolussus Disco Mutant

Shang-Chi should take the May slot and I was wondering why they haven't filmed yet for that one if they intend to release it in 13 months.