Doctor Strange News & Speculation thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see that as well. Thor is also magical if we forgot.

Not a good sign. Extensive as I mentioned before.
Usually it's a day or 2 but 10 is quite extensive and a bad sign.
you do realize that Cumberbatch was shooting series 4 of Sherlock in between main shoots and reshoots. that he wasn't available until the very first day of shooting because of Hamlet? he has a very tight schedule. Sometimes reshoots and pick ups are just relabled parts of the planned main shoot that didn't fit in the schedule in the first place

Getting pretty excited for this, knowing the kinds of crossovers with other Marvel heroes that've been teased.

I really hope this movie is great. It seems to have gotten a lot of unnecessary hate from the blogosphere. While I can understand people lashing out at it over the Tilda Swinton casting thing, some of the other internet b***hfests I saw just left me scratching my head. How DARE Marvel cast a white actor as Dr. Strange, a character who has always been white in the comics! This movie with BOMB because magic is lame and has no place in a superhero movie; it's not realistic enough! Marvel LOST Comic Con this year because while WB showcased the FIRST EVER FEMALE-LED SUPERHERO FILM* while Marvel just had their stupid Dr. Strange trailer with a man in the lead!

*Supergirl, Elektra, Catwoman and Barb Wire don't count, because they were terrible movies, and Wonder Woman will absolutely be great, given the DCEU's stellar track record.

* I think one should check Rotten tomatoes if they think DCEU has a stellar record... i will say they are getting better though i enjoyed SS over the other 2 which i honestly didn't care for.. but i am quite excited for WW and think it looks like the best yet.

Panic because of reshoots is silly 90% of the time. I think Doctor Strange will be just fine. It does have more of a negative vibe surrounding it than I thought it would but I think it will overcome that like Ant-Man did. Working in DS favor is that it's trailers look way better than Ant-Man's. I love Ant-Man but Marvel did not market that film as well as they could have.

Rows I love you man but no good will come out of bashing WB's poor handling of their comic book films in this thread.

I love Cumby's casting as Strange but I do think it's pretty ****** that Marvel are putting out two "white guys are better Asians" projects in such close proximity to one another, it makes them look really bad.

Last edited:
* I think one should check Rotten tomatoes if they think DCEU has a stellar record... i will say they are getting better though i enjoyed SS over the other 2 which i honestly didn't care for.. but i am quite excited for WW and think it looks like the best yet.

I was being sarcastic, in case that wasn't clear. The DCEU's track record has been sh** at least with their last two films. I liked MOS, but BvS and SS were garbage.

Panic because of reshoots is silly 90% of the time. I think Doctor Strange will be just fine. It does have more of a negative vibe surrounding it than I thought it would but I think it will overcome that like Ant-Man did. Working in DS favor is that it's trailers look way better than Ant-Man's. I love Ant-Man but Marvel did not market that film as well as they could have.

Rows I love you man but no good will come out of bashing WB's poor handling of their comic book films in this thread.

I love Cumby's casting as Strange but I do think it's pretty ****** that Marvel are putting out two "white guys are better Asians" projects in such close proximity to one another, it makes them look really bad.

This is a fair point. Though I think with Iron Fist it's a bit more egregious, since that character's origin is steeped in Asian culture. At least with Strange, if they want to, they could include a variety of cultures in the story since it's magic. Of course, IF also has a magical element, but it's still the martial arts aspect that makes the story what it is.

It's especially problematic given how they handled the Hand situation in Daredevil season 2. I love that show, but I was a bit shocked at how they made them the big bads after the criticism they received about handling Asian characters in season 1. It was liked they just thumbed their nose at those criticisms and doubled down on what offended people. So they had a chance to redeem themselves a bit with IF but instead... they went ahead and cast another white dude.

I don't wanna live in a world where Daredevil can't fight Ninjas without being called racist.

I don't wanna live in a world where Daredevil can't fight Ninjas without being called racist.

Me either... people need some tough love... at this point Ninjas are just a mythical genre much like how Cowboys, Indians, Spacemen, etc.. are. And all are exaggerated characters based on some historical fact, but wildly exaggerated and not historically accurate.

The hand are cannon fodder zombie ninjas just like Hydra goons are usually white guy cannon fodder.

Nobu Yoshioka isn't as developed a villain as Kingpin or Killgrave but that is down to the showrunners wanting to keep the Hand and its members mysterious for the time being rather than because they are racists that don't think Asian people should be multifaceted characters.

Last edited:
It seems that Marvel and director Scott Derrickson determined that more scenes were needed after Doctor Strange wrapped filming and a first cut of the film was assembled. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Dan Harmon was brought on board to pen the script for these mysterious additional scenes. Best known for co-creating Community, is Harmon's background an indication that it was determined that Doctor Strange needed more humor?

I don't know what to think of this :huh:.
Clearly something needed to be fixed.

Marvel goes through reshoots with every film, so it's nothing to be concerned about. As a huge fan of both Community and Rick and Morty, I am very happy Dan Harmon is involved with the MCU.

So...whens the next trailer? You think they'd be promoting the ever living **** out of this by now.

Probably the final trailer late next month or sometime in October. Then full steam ahead on tbe promo train.

Dan Harmon is great. Both Community and Rick and Morty are fantastic.

I don't know what to think of this :huh:.
Clearly something needed to be fixed.

Nothing to think. Everything has resorts we haven't heard report of extensive reshoots

But I just hope it's not for more humor. I love Rick and Morty but The MCU already has a problem balancing they're humor imo

I hope it's not for more humor as well. I hope the Captain America films aren't the only Marvel films allowed to have a more serious tone. And when I say more serious I don't mean humorless as clearly the Cap series has plenty of humor.

I hope it's not for more humor as well. I hope the Captain America films aren't the only Marvel films allowed to have a more serious tone. And when I say more serious I don't mean humorless as clearly the Cap series has plenty of humor.
...what IF it's to ADD say a few Asgardians? :more: After all, they ARE supposed to be in NYC.

Why would they need another writer? What happened to the current one?

Movie rumors from 4chan (Take with a grain of salt)
Test screenings have been very positive so far

- The recent reshoots were to streamline Strange's training which takes up most of the second act, and also add a little more humor and a Tony Stark cameo

- Kevin Feige is being particularly careful with this movie because Doctor Strange and Baron Mordo are supposed to become major recurring characters in the MCU going forward

- The time stone is featured in the movie

- The movie takes place simultaneously to the MCU, with Stephen Strange's accident happening shortly after Tony Stark returns from Afghanistan and his training spanning all the other movies

- Mads Mikkelsen's character, Kaecilius, is aligned with Dormammu, who will have a bigger role in the sequels

- There are already plans for a sequel with Benedict Cumberbatch and Chiwetel Ejiofor certain to return, but there are no other developments as of right now

- The casting of the Ancient One was complex because of how people perceive it as an stereotype and because of the association with Tibet in light of how the Chinese box-office is important to movie studios nowadays. Tilda Swinton was picked because of he unusual she looks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"