Doctor Strange News & Speculation thread - Part 4

Anyone else hoping they cast a different writer/director combo for the sequel ?

Hear me out, I know Scott did a fine job and all but deep down I'm hoping for a bigger and better director that can take this material and elevate it even further.

We're reaching the 2nd half of 2017 and no way will they release Strange before 2019. We haven't even heard a thing about a possible sequel. I'm fairly certain it'll happen eventually and I'm guessing they'll release it May 2020 with a late 2017 announcement.

While I liked the film, mainly for the visual aspect, I was hoping it would go a bit further. A bit more emphasis on the story aspect too.

Hear me out, I know Scott did a fine job and all but deep down I'm hoping for a bigger and better director that can take this material and elevate it even further.

We're reaching the 2nd half of 2017 and no way will they release Strange before 2019. We haven't even heard a thing about a possible sequel. I'm fairly certain it'll happen eventually and I'm guessing they'll release it May 2020 with a late 2017 announcement.

While I liked the film, mainly for the visual aspect, I was hoping it would go a bit further. A bit more emphasis on the story aspect too.

They'll have more chance to focus on story in the second. The first was an introduction (to strange, to magic etc...).

Have they announced any phase 4 films yet?

Agree with your thoughts on the first film, I too thought they needed to go a bit further. But at the same time I think Derrickson earned a shot at doing the sequel.

I'm sure the sequel will really start getting deeper into Strange's material. Introducing him and the concept of magic to the GA was a challenging job in the first film and now that that's been achieved the platform is there to explore further into his world

They'll have more chance to focus on story in the second. The first was an introduction (to strange, to magic etc...).

Have they announced any phase 4 films yet?
Outside of knowing that there's a Spider-Man sequel that will probably be considered part of Phase 4 (which is probably a unique case to have that already announced given the unique deal between Marvel and Sony)? No, Marvel hasn't announced anything else of Phase 4.

They might do something similar to what they did for Phase 3 and have an announcement event (either one of their own or hold it at a con) as we get closer to the end of the Phase (i.e. Phase 3 wasn't announced until there were just two films left to release in Phase 2 (Age of Ultron and Ant-Man).

They probably also want to capitalize on Avengers 4 being a conclusion of some sort. Announcing movies after that would make it feel less of an event.

Derrickson expected to return for sequel
The finished script was sent to one director, Derrickson, who came on board right away and, if the pilot goes to series, is expected to stay with the show for the first season and direct multiple episodes before segueing to the Doctor Strange sequel.

The script, with Derrickson attached, was taken out to the marketplace, garnering strong interest from multiple networks before landing at Hulu in a very competitive situation.
http://deadline.com/2017/04/locke-k...use-joe-hill-scott-derrickson-idw-1202073121/

There will be a few years at least until DS2 comes out so it makes sense Derrickson doing something in between. I didn't love DS as much as others but he earned his place directing the sequel for me.

There will be a few years at least until DS2 comes out so it makes sense Derrickson doing something in between. I didn't love DS as much as others but he earned his place directing the sequel for me.

Agreed 100%

Finally got around to watching this film. It was freaking trippy...i loved it. :up: just wish i saw it in theaters.

I liked this movie. Benedict Cumberbatch was really good casting and with more time and ease into the MCU he will probably turn even better performances. The visuals where pretty interesting and enriched the movie. The cast was solid. One of the things i thought didn't work that well was some of the humor which didn't felt so natural to the flow of the movie maybe because they had someone coming in late to add some levity. I guess that's my biggest complaint.

And some of the beats where very similar to other movies but it still felt interesting and engaging. It was bold at times but still safe in several areas.

Agreed some parts felt so derivative that it almost felt parody-like. That being said I still liked the movie. It had many flaws but I had fun watching it at least.

I'm sure the sequel will really start getting deeper into Strange's material. Introducing him and the concept of magic to the GA was a challenging job in the first film and now that that's been achieved the platform is there to explore further into his world

exactly. i just got done watching it again (first time at home) and there's so much to appreciate. For those hardcore Dr.Strange fans I can understand you wanting more depth but u can't forget the general audience. At this point in time it was much more important to make this world acessible and believable and they achieved that masterfully. The first film had to strike crucial balances w/out getting too heavy and getting too bogged down in the mystic arts. For the hardcore fans it's understandable that you thought maybe it didn't go far enough, but trust me as a casual fan and someone familiar w/the character but never really read any Strange comics it was very effective in intriguing me and getting me to want more, without over inundated me.

Now that i've got my introduction I'm ready to really explore this mystical world...

exactly. i just got done watching it again (first time at home) and there's so much to appreciate. For those hardcore Dr.Strange fans I can understand you wanting more depth but u can't forget the general audience. At this point in time it was much more important to make this world acessible and believable and they achieved that masterfully. The first film had to strike crucial balances w/out getting too heavy and getting too bogged down in the mystic arts. For the hardcore fans it's understandable that you thought maybe it didn't go far enough, but trust me as a casual fan and someone familiar w/the character but never really read any Strange comics it was very effective in intriguing me and getting me to want more, without over inundated me.

Now that i've got my introduction I'm ready to really explore this mystical world...
Yep, and hopefully a good chunk of the GA feel the same way as you. If they had gone too heavy in the first film it would have turned people off and could even have made the magic/mystical side of the MCU (not just Strange) inaccessible for future use.

Yep, and hopefully a good chunk of the GA feel the same way as you. If they had gone too heavy in the first film it would have turned people off and could even have made the magic/mystical side of the MCU (not just Strange) inaccessible for future use.

To be honest that's exactly why i was reluctant to see the movie when it started being promoted. My overall goodwill for Marvel was the main driving force for me seeing the movie.

Ironically I went into the movie thinking I didn't want to be overwhelmed with the magical side of Marvel, but when I came out of the movie I wanted more! I was pleasantly surprised on a lot of fronts and now I really want them to turn up the volume- I fully embrace the mystics and can't wait to explore more of that 'stuff'.

To be honest that's exactly why i was reluctant to see the movie when it started being promoted. My overall goodwill for Marvel was the main driving force for me seeing the movie.

Ironically I went into the movie thinking I didn't want to be overwhelmed with the magical side of Marvel, but when I came out of the movie I wanted more! I was pleasantly surprised on a lot of fronts and now I really want them to turn up the volume- I fully embrace the mystics and can't wait to explore more of that 'stuff'.
That's good to hear! It backs up what I've been saying. I am a fan of the crazy stuff and I want to see them take Strange as far as they want to take him now and I think they have (earned) the freedom to be almost as weird as they want and can take some risks.

I was happy with the detail myself, it didn't OVER explain magic. I DID however feel it wasn't explained or shown well enough that a good amount of time passed while Strange did his studies

Doctor Strange is now on Netflix.

I wonder if Mordo if Chiwetel will show up in Infinity War

My guess is "no", they'll probably save him for the Dr Strange sequel.

From James Gunn's Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10154299427791157:0
James Gunn with Stan Lee and Zoe Saldana.
12 mins ·
Facebook Mentions
·
Doing my pal Scott Derrickson a solid and shooting Stan Lee's cameo for Doctor Strange at the same time I was shooting some stunt work with Zoe Saldana - I run between sets on one soundstage. Stan laughing at The Doors of Perception was what ended up in the film, but we shot other options, such as:

• Stan reading a book and leaning into the guy next to him, saying, "Do you know what excelsior means?"
  • Stan throwing his head back and laughing as hard as he can, yelling, "I'm laughing for no reason! I'm totally crazy!"
  • And, my favorite, Stan laughing hysterically at a Garfield book, hooting, "He HATES Mondays but he LOVES lasagna!" Supposedly that one was in the film for a while, but it ended up being too long for the scene.
Happy Tuesday!

Daddy needs a sequel announcement

No doubt it'll be one of the three 2020 movies along with Guardians 3.

They're steering away from announcements until after the next two Avengers films though.

No doubt it'll be one of the three 2020 movies along with Guardians 3.

They're steering away from announcements until after the next two Avengers films though.

And until after they've acquired fox :sly:

My only request for the sequel? Fix the humour. I don't have a problem with it but you could tell it didn't quite work.

Rick and morty style humour is perfect for the marvel u but probably not for Strange. Maybe get someone with more of a Blackadder/terry Gilliam style humour

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"