Doctor Strange News & Speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd *seriously* like to see Blade and Ghost Rider have brief cameos in this. Just to prove that they exist in the MCU. Maybe even just a post-credit teaser showing Strange getting the Midnight Sons together.

What are you guys thoughts on Derrickson? I never paid much thought to him until recently just wanted to see what we got with him, and have been watching little bits of Deliver Us From Evil... and i really don't see how this guy is gonna bring anything to the movie. He seems mediocre and pretty untalented visually to me.

I don't get the choice. I know it has to do with supernatural horror and stuff, but I don't see how this guy is any good. next up, i'm gonna watch the movie before Deliver Us From Evil. but what i saw was so bad that i don't see how he would take this big leap up from that.

i don't know who else I'd suggest tho. i don't know what a lot of these guys do. but guy from Looper, or Duncan Jones, i guess both seem like typical choices that would be better than Derrickson. I really don't like him being associated with the movie.

Man-Thing needs a cameo as the Nexus of all Realities.
They did make mention of parallel dimensions in this movie so it fits.
Plus Man-Thing is already canon in the MCU.

What are you guys thoughts on Derrickson? I never paid much thought to him until recently just wanted to see what we got with him, and have been watching little bits of Deliver Us From Evil... and i really don't see how this guy is gonna bring anything to the movie. He seems mediocre and pretty untalented visually to me.

I don't get the choice. I know it has to do with supernatural horror and stuff, but I don't see how this guy is any good. next up, i'm gonna watch the movie before Deliver Us From Evil. but what i saw was so bad that i don't see how he would take this big leap up from that.

i don't know who else I'd suggest tho. i don't know what a lot of these guys do. but guy from Looper, or Duncan Jones, i guess both seem like typical choices that would be better than Derrickson. I really don't like him being associated with the movie.
limited budget and limited scope of the movies. You could say the same thing about Slither and look what Gunn made with the Guardians. Or the Russos with Winter Soldier.

Would anyone like to see Jericho Drumm/Brother Voodoo in this film? I really like the character, but I would hate for him to perpetuate the "black best friend" dynamic that's shown up several times in the MCU so far (Falcon, War Machine, Heimdall). Of course, there are ways to include BV that avoid that, and I hope they would.

I would love to see Jericho Drumm appear (or even a pre-death Daniel Drumm) in some small capacity, then see a spin-off TV/netflix series (TV being more likely since the Netflix slate seems full).

What do you guys think of Brother Voodoo, and would anyone like to seem him here or elsewhere in the MCU?

Edit: Just saw Dr. Evil's post on the last page, so I know at least one other person has BV on their mind! :)

Last edited:
Would Brother Voodoo be the best friend to Strange though? I would think the best friend would be Wong.

^ Yeah, I agree, but I just see some comparisons. Maybe "counterpart" is a better word than best friend. Regardless, I was oversimplifying.

I'd like to see him maybe as an equal or another expert that Strange consults. He can just appear in one scene. Like I said, I'd love to see him spin off into his own thing.

I don't think you have to have Man-Thing to intro the cross roads concept. Strange can do that on his own. That could lead into a future (though unlikely at this time considering the slate announced) Hulk story that could use elements of both the CROSS ROADS arc and PLANET HULK.

I'm not thrilled with the choice, but after the Russo's, I'm more than willing to give him a chance. Still, I was hoping the announcement of the director would get me more hyped about the film because I do like Dr. Strange, and that definitely did not happen with the announcement of Derrickson. But given how this one has seemed so important to Feige over the years, I have faith that he's worked extra hard to make sure this one gets the people behind it that it needs.

I like the thinking behind the selection of Scott Derrickson as a director. He's a director with a horror pedigree, and that gives us an idea about the kind of qualities Marvel might be wanting to bring to the film. I don't think I've seen a great film from him yet, but I did really like Sinister, which I think showed the potential for greatness from him.

I hope they use whoever did the 3D post-conversion for GotG because I want to see all the awesome trippy stuff in really good 3D

I hope they use whoever did the 3D post-conversion for GotG because I want to see all the awesome trippy stuff in really good 3D

Why always post conversions?
Only good 3d I've seen in a movie so far is Avatar by a mile, everything else just gives a bit of depth at the cost of wearing the stupid glasses.

I like Derrickson. The Exorcism of Emily Rose was a solid flick and he did a podcast with Kevin Smith that really endeared him to me. I look forward to whatever he cooks up.

Only good 3d I've seen in a movie so far is Avatar by a mile, everything else just gives a bit of depth at the cost of wearing the stupid glasses.

Post-conversion is cheaper and far easier than filming it directly in 3D. Hobbit was filmed in 3D like Avatar, though, so you can have a frame of reference as to whether filming it originally in 3D is the key or having James Cameron is the key.

I do agree that this film would benefit from 3D more than others. That being said, the benefit is probably more in special effects not the live action aspects.

I thought the 3D in GotG was freaking amazing. Most definitely the best post-conversion I have ever seen. Like was said it's just much more cost effective to do it in post. There are a lot of drawbacks to filming it in 3D such as the noise created by the cameras, their bulkiness and due to their size it makes a lot of shots damn near impossible. The folks doing the 3D conversion for Disney/Marvel really know their stuff and they are only going to get better as time goes by. I just really hope they go with the classic super trippy Ditko stuff since I think that kind of vibe and feel would translate into an amazing movie

How would everyone feel about having the entities that Strange often invokes in his most iconic castings to be presences in the film that are part of his training with the Ancient One? Like, have the Seraphim and the Hosts of Hoggath be beings that Strange interacts with in his training? So later, if he uses the iconic phrasing, it has meaning to us in the audience?

You know my one problem with what Feige said at the event, 'the supernatural which in the MCU means everything from Quantum Mechanics to String Theory to Parallel Dimensions'

That isn't supernatural Kevin, that is science. So it seems very much like with Thor they are going to try and explain it all by science.

You know my one problem with what Feige said at the event, 'the supernatural which in the MCU means everything from Quantum Mechanics to String Theory to Parallel Dimensions'

That isn't supernatural Kevin, that is science. So it seems very much like with Thor they are going to try and explain it all by science.

Well, I like that approach. By definition, physicians are scientists, not ONLY scientists but that is clearly part of their profession. I have worked with a lot of neurosurgeons over the years, and they aren't a monolithic group. They are Canadian cowboys, suave metrosexuals, petite blonde cheerleaders and everything in between. Our head of Neuorosurgery is a 60 something woman, no nonsense, with a very good sense of humor. I work at a US News top 15 medical center, so I know some very good neurosurgeons.

And every single one of them would approach the supernatural from a scientific angle, at least at first. This will be part of Strange's journey, recognizing that science can contribute toward the understanding of the supernatural, but that there is more to the universe than science can explain.

Well, I like that approach. By definition, physicians are scientists, not ONLY scientists but that is clearly part of their profession. I have worked with a lot of neurosurgeons over the years, and they aren't a monolithic group. They are Canadian cowboys, suave metrosexuals, petite blonde cheerleaders and everything in between. Our head of Neuorosurgery is a 60 something woman, no nonsense, with a very good sense of humor. I work at a US News top 15 medical center, so I know some very good neurosurgeons.

And every single one of them would approach the supernatural from a scientific angle, at least at first. This will be part of Strange's journey, recognizing that science can contribute toward the understanding of the supernatural, but that there is more to the universe than science can explain.

Loved reading the Exorcist. They try and explain everything through a scientific perspective, but things just don't add up. Made it just that bit more scary.

Oh agreed Strange should try and comprehend it through science, like Tony would or Jane in Thor. But to me the comment kind of seemed like everything would be explained by science.

Strange will definitely approach it from a scientific angle at first but I'm sure by the end of the film he will be the Sorcerer Supreme and that will actually allow a lot of people to accept the supernatural elements that will surely start popping up in the MCU. Seems to me like this film will be the perfect way to shake off the science angle and really give some depth to the MCU

edit...wrong thread, sorry...

Last edited:
I'd *seriously* like to see Blade and Ghost Rider have brief cameos in this. Just to prove that they exist in the MCU. Maybe even just a post-credit teaser showing Strange getting the Midnight Sons together.

I thought it would be cool if they had an allusion to Brother Voodoo.

Cap Marvel, Black Panther & Dr Strange. 3 awesome new solo films we're getting. Can't wait to see the 3 of them plus Ant Man (& maybe Wasp) reinforce the Avengers in Infinity War.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"