You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

'Seen sense'? What do you mean? Doctor Who is a SATURDAY show. It should only air on SATURDAY.

The landscape for Saturday television has changed even in the last decade. It is now synonymous with light-entertainment and (often rubbish) cheap 'wallpaper' TV. Dr Who deserves better than to be lumped in with that sort of ilk.
Whereas Sunday has for a long time been associated with quality drama.
The growing amount of Sunday TV viewers in the evening and night scattered across the board has overtaken Saturday television in recent years.
Dr Who hasn't always been shown on a Saturday, The Five Doctors was shown on a Friday, it had weekday slots in the 1980s, the McGann film was on a sunny Bank Holiday Monday (drawing in healthy viewership considering most people were out enjoying themselves), one of the 10th Doctor specials was shown on a Sunday (the biggest drawer of viewers for any drama that day). As for the Christmas Specials, well take your pick, they've had the lot.
There's no 'should' but if you wish to cry about it by shouting the day, then go ahead, it only makes you come across as petulant as usual. But of course I'm talking to a person that if Dr Who had originally began transmitting on a Sunday way back in 1963 and the BBC decided to change it to Saturday for the first time in 2018, you'd still moan about it.

The landscape for Saturday television has changed even in the last decade. It is now synonymous with light-entertainment and (often rubbish) cheap 'wallpaper' TV. Dr Who deserves better than to be lumped in with that sort of ilk.
Whereas Sunday has for a long time been associated with quality drama.
The growing amount of Sunday TV viewers in the evening and night scattered across the board has overtaken Saturday television in recent years.
Dr Who hasn't always been shown on a Saturday, The Five Doctors was shown on a Friday, it had weekday slots in the 1980s, the McGann film was on a sunny Bank Holiday Monday (drawing in healthy viewership considering most people were out enjoying themselves), one of the 10th Doctor specials was shown on a Sunday (the biggest drawer of viewers for any drama that day). As for the Christmas Specials, well take your pick, they've had the lot.
There's no 'should' but if you wish to cry about it by shouting the day, then go ahead, it only makes you come across as petulant as usual. But of course I'm talking to a person that if Dr Who had originally began transmitting on a Sunday way back in 1963 and the BBC decided to change it to Saturday for the first time in 2018, you'd still moan about it.
The classic series airing on a weekday caused the show to fall into a slow decline. The Saturday slot needs to be kept the same. Some shows simply ARE Saturday shows, and Doctor Who - like Saturday Night Takeaway - falls into that category.

Sunday may be seen as 'quality drama' day, but it's not seen as the day for family drama. Doctor Who should therefore be allowed to continue airing on a Saturday.

Doctor Who is nothing like Saturday Night Takeaway, one's a drama the other's a silly, overrated game show. The day of the week shouldn't even be a factor. Although you have left out a massive factor as to why it fell into decline and that was due to the fact it was up against Coronation Street coupled with poor production values and a rushed end-product were the real reason why it fell into decline.
It's not as black and white as you think it is. Also, when the show first moved from a Saturday during Davison's run, it actually gained viewers.
To quote the Doctor himself; 'You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alters their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views, which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.'
You obviously haven't been around long enough then to not know that some of the best known and highly regarded family dramas have been shown on Sunday. Dramas such as the The Chronicles of Narnia The Phoenix and the Carpet, The Borrowers, The Box of Delights to name but a few and they drew in millions and were on at around 6pm, an earlier time than Dr Who will probably end up on. If you're after an example of a later time slot family drama, then Call the Midwife is a contemporary one.
As always, you need to perhaps do your research before entering a discussion with people on here.

Last edited:
Doctor Who is nothing like Saturday Night Takeaway, one's a drama the other's a silly, overrated game show.
I never said it was, I only said it feels like a Saturday show in the same way that Saturday Night Takeaway can only air on a Saturday. Also: it's not a game show, it's of the variety show genre.

The day of the week shouldn't even be a factor. Although you have left out a massive factor as to why it fell into decline and that was due to the fact it was up against Coronation Street coupled with poor production values and a rushed end-product were the real reason why it fell into decline.
It was only against Coronation Street because they moved it from the Saturday slot though - and Corrie sometimes airs on Sundays if an episode has been missed somewhere. What happened in the past is a dire warning to the future, a warning that the show should be kept primarily on Saturdays.

You obviously haven't been around long enough then to not know that some of the best known and highly regarded family dramas have been shown on Sunday. Dramas such as the The Chronicles of Narnia The Phoenix and the Carpet, The Borrowers, The Box of Delights to name but a few and they drew in millions and were on at around 6pm, an earlier time than Dr Who will probably end up on.
None of those examples are a Merlin, or a Robin Hood. Shows which got massive ratings on Saturday nights, and were a key part of the BBC1 Saturday line-up.

But anyway: that's not the point. The point is that Doctor Who feels like a Saturday show and therefore should not be moved.

I never said it was, I only said it feels like a Saturday show in the same way that Saturday Night Takeaway can only air on a Saturday. Also: it's not a game show, it's of the variety show genre.

It was only against Coronation Street because they moved it from the Saturday slot though - and Corrie sometimes airs on Sundays if an episode has been missed somewhere. What happened in the past is a dire warning to the future, a warning that the show should be kept primarily on Saturdays.

None of those examples are a Merlin, or a Robin Hood. Shows which got massive ratings on Saturday nights, and were a key part of the BBC1 Saturday line-up.

But anyway: that's not the point. The point is that Doctor Who feels like a Saturday show and therefore should not be moved.

No the point is, you missed my point. I've already told you that Dr Who was moved away from a Saturday to a weekday prior to it going up against Coronation Street and in that move it gained viewership, an important factor in this discussion that should not be brushed off by your uninformed opinion. Please read what I wrote properly. It was only when it went up against the soap that viewership understandably fell but still did well against the soap and held its own considering. Also, the programme prior to Dr Who replacing it at 7:30pm was getting an average of 3.5 million with DW getting an average of 4.5 million. So therefore DW performed quite well, gaining the Beeb a million more than the previous weeks when the other programme occupied this slot.
It won't be going up Coronation Street when Series 11 broadcasts.

I don't know why you're bringing in other shows such as Robin Hood and Merlin into the fold as they weren't shown on a Sunday, the examples I gave were popular family dramas broadcast on Sundays.
Television is not a status quo, it is a constantly shifting medium, increasingly so within the last decade.
Like I said, it would help your case if you did some research and knew your subject.
Even Stateside, the biggest genre TV events in the past couple of years, such as Stranger Things aren't shown on a Saturday.

The real point is, do you want Dr Who to have better viewing figures or do you wish for it to decline as it has been doing, drowning in a sea of dross wallpaper television or would you prefer to see it shine and held in high regard as it sits in the now deserving Sunday quality drama slot that people have become accustomed to?

Last edited:
No the point is, you missed my point. I've already told you that Dr Who was moved away from a Saturday to a weekday prior to it going up against Coronation Street and in that move it gained viewership.
Yes, and then it was axed eight years later.

I don't know why you're bringing in other shows such as Robin Hood and Merlin into the fold as they weren't shown on a Sunday, the examples I gave were popular family dramas broadcast on Sundays.
Because they were shows broadcast on a Saturday that showed Saturdays are for family dramas.

The real point is, do you want Dr Who to have better viewing figures or do you wish for it to decline as it has been doing, drowning in a sea of dross wallpaper television or would you prefer to see it shine and held in high regard as it sits in the now deserving Sunday quality drama slot that people have become accustomed to?
I would prefer it to stay on Saturdays, and confirm its status as a Saturday show. If the BBC promoted it more the viewers would come.

Yes, and then it was axed eight years later.

Because they were shows broadcast on a Saturday that showed Saturdays are for family dramas.

I would prefer it to stay on Saturdays, and confirm its status as a Saturday show. If the BBC promoted it more the viewers would come.

Because it was up against Coronation Street!
It. Wasn't. Always. Up. Against. Coronation. Street.
Good god, you're feckin' fick! How many times have I said that now?

And I gave you shows broadcast on a Sunday that showed Sundays are also for family dramas.

Tough luck, sunshine, it's on a Sunday.
And they'll come if they're prepared to give it a chance.

Last edited:
Nice to finally have something that's actually official, shame that Sept. 23rd was BS, but Oct. 7th is not bad at all, can't wait for this to finally start, feels like its been forever.

Last edited:
Series 11 will begin in a few weeks... can't wait. The series premiere will be called 'The Woman Who Fell To Earth'. I guess this episode will deal with The Doctor being stuck on Earth and getting her TARDIS back.

Title - Brilliant

Airdate - The worst thing that could have happened. Why can't the BBC executives stop messing around with the show's scheduling? It's very simple - keep it on a Saturday and air it at the same time each week.

Title - Brilliant

Airdate - The worst thing that could have happened. Why can't the BBC executives stop messing around with the show's scheduling? It's very simple - keep it on a Saturday and air it at the same time each week.
Maybe because the audience for Who isn't 12 year olds.

I really feel like people are overstating the significance of whether it airs on Saturday or Sunday.

I really feel like people are overstating the significance of whether it airs on Saturday or Sunday.

Well let’s be accurate here, one person and the usual suspect for circular discussion.

And it's beyond me how anyone can still think (after probably been told on numerous occasions elsewhere, I'd wager) that it's 'very simple' to schedule a programme around a live broadcast programme with varying start and finishing times on a Saturday night. Some people haven't the faintest how the television industry works.

Last edited:

I think a lot of this comes from one's age, for me, growing up in the 70's & 80's, Saturday was ALWAYS Dr Who tea time and it has a connection with me and how I feel about the programme, that's not to say I can't adjust (I'm 43 :funny:) but Saturday has it's place in my heart.

Trailer announcing the date:

Interesting that they should use a 'breaking the glass ceiling' scenario, they may as well have had a pointing neon sign flashing 'Metaphor' hanging over it..

Similar to July’s first teaser that showed some insight of a playful Thirteen, one that loves manipulating, this latest teaser doesn't really tell us anything more than what the first 2018 'Beano' teaser did so I guess we'll have to wait and see when we get a main trailer similar to the ‘Trip of a Lifetime’ trailer with inserted clips from the series for more clues as to the Thirteenth, her Friends, the foes of Thirteen and perhaps the TARDIS.

Last edited:
Chibnall has said that this series will rarely mentioned The Doctor's sex change... honestly I hope that's the case and that the writers are more interested in telling a compelling story than making a political statement regarding feminism.

Trailer announcing the date:

Interesting that they should use a 'breaking the glass ceiling' scenario, they may as well have had a pointing neon sign flashing 'Metaphor' hanging over it..

Similar to July’s first teaser that showed some insight of a playful Thirteen, one that loves manipulating, this latest teaser doesn't really tell us anything more than what the first 2018 'Beano' teaser did so I guess we'll have to wait and see when we get a main trailer similar to the ‘Trip of a Lifetime’ trailer with inserted clips from the series for more clues as to the Thirteenth, her Friends, the foes of Thirteen and perhaps the TARDIS.

Current video like / dislike*
Likes 13,086
Dislikes 7,412

Current Comments* (5,750)
Positive 20%
Negative 80%

Update
* 13th Sept (Day 6) @8:30pm Trending #24

Last edited:
bloody hell, it's like watching two little nippers pitching sand at each other in the sandbox, what with reading the last two pages or so... bloody well enough, already... one doesn't get it and the other just move on, mate... you can reckon for yourselves who I'm on about...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"