You Get A Prize, Honey - The 'Doctor Who' Thread

Current video like / dislike ratio*
Likes 52%
Dislikes 48%

Current Comments ratio*
Positive 20%
Negative 80%

* 12th Sept (Day 5) @7:00pm Trending #15
The 80% negative can be ignored, as they are basing their opinion on Jodie Whittaker's gender. Only the positives matter.

Honestly we should wait for the episode to air before declaring that Jodie Whittaker is good or bad in the role. I'm optimistic and I'm glad that the writing team is completely new in series 11 as the Doctor Who will feel rejuvenated. But I do have my doubts with how the upcoming series will deal with three companions as I feel its a bit crowded for my taste.

Honestly we should wait for the episode to air before declaring that Jodie Whittaker is good or bad in the role. I'm optimistic and I'm glad that the writing team is completely new in series 11 as the Doctor Who will feel rejuvenated. But I do have my doubts with how the upcoming series will deal with three companions as I feel its a bit crowded for my taste.

I agree with the 'over crowded' potential but my main concern lies with (and it has since it was announced) is Bradley Walsh in an 'acting' role as important as this one, he's a gameshow host, not an actor.

I agree with the 'over crowded' potential but my main concern lies with (and it has since it was announced) is Bradley Walsh in an 'acting' role as important as this one, he's a gameshow host, not an actor.
The only thing that I've seen Bradley Walsh act in was a soap called Coronation Street but I can barely remember his character. I heard good things about his acting in Law and Order UK so I'm a bit optimistic on him giving a solid performance. One good thing I heard about the upcoming series is there won't be any romance between Doctor and companion which I'm happy about.

That's a very narrow-minded view of Bradley Walsh's career. He isn't just a 'gameshow host', he is also a comedian, footballer, singer and actor (and a fantastic actor at that).

There's no reason to be concerned about Bradley Walsh. He has proven himself countless times as an actor, my favourite role of his being as Odd Bob The Clown in The Sarah Jane Adventures. If anything he's going to be a highlight of Series 11.

That's a very narrow-minded view of Bradley Walsh's career. He isn't just a 'gameshow host', he is also a comedian, footballer, singer and actor (and a fantastic actor at that).

There's no reason to be concerned about Bradley Walsh. He has proven himself countless times as an actor, my favourite role of his being as Odd Bob The Clown in The Sarah Jane Adventures. If anything he's going to be a highlight of Series 11.

Really glad you have faith in him. I'm not sure he needs to be a singer, a comedian and definitely not a footballer in this, but he does need to be able to act.

New image for the first episode of series 11

tumblr_pf48qvalKr1to9q2l_540.jpg

Really glad you have faith in him. I'm not sure he needs to be a singer, a comedian and definitely not a footballer in this, but he does need to be able to act.
There's not really a reason to doubt him. He is a fantastic actor, and probably the biggest coup for the show since Catherine Tate.

There's not really a reason to doubt him. He is a fantastic actor, and probably the biggest coup for the show since Catherine Tate.

I'm afraid for me, that doesn't sway me, Tate is a one note talent, couldn't stand Donna I'm afraid.

My main concern would be Chris Chibnall. He hasn't exactly written a lot of classic Who stories, and he is now the showrunner.

I'm afraid for me, that doesn't sway me, Tate is a one note talent, couldn't stand Donna I'm afraid.
Really? I always thought that Donna is one of the best companions in the revival series and Tate really surprised me on how good she was as I wasn't really a fan of her initial first episode in the Christmas special. Each to their own I guess.

I have the distinct impression that the marketing with that teaser over on YT has somewhat backfired on them.
The rate of the Dislike votes are climbing at quite an alarming rate, 4 times the rate of the Like votes, coupled with 80% of the comments not agreeing with the certain metaphors or concerned with certain ideologies being put to them and not just as some poster above suggested basing it only on Jodie's gender as there are people for the idea of a female Doctor, yet still expressing those concerns.
80% of the comments reflect this and most are from the general audience but according to a small few, they should be ignored? Hey if we all ignored things everything would be peachy, right?

Someone in the comments has kept track over the past two days and it says:
16/9 11:48am - Likes 13,421 __ Dislikes 8,803
16/9 15:34pm - Likes 13,443 __ Dislikes 8,940
16/9 17:53pm - Likes 13,457 __ Dislikes 9,015
17/9 00:03am - Likes 13,500 __ Dislikes 9,249
17/9 13:02pm - Likes 13,540 __ Dislikes 9,425
17/9 20:55pm - Likes 13,577 __ Dislikes 9,580
___(Increase)_______(156)__________(777)____

That's rather worrying.

Last edited:
It's YouTube. I take it to have absolutely nothing of value to contribute. Of all the places where awful trolling goes on YouTube is usually listed near the top of the list.

Oh I agree, but there's trolling and there's trolling to the Nth degree over on YT but from what I'm looking at most of them are uncharacteristic of a troll and just your average viewed once, comment and leave types such as any level-headed member like you or I would leave on there if we were to express our opinion.

I have the distinct impression that the marketing with that teaser over on YT has somewhat backfired on them.
The rate of the Dislike votes are climbing at quite an alarming rate, 4 times the rate of the Like votes, coupled with 80% of the comments not agreeing with the certain metaphors or concerned with certain ideologies being put to them and not just as some poster above suggested basing it only on Jodie's gender as there are people for the idea of a female Doctor, yet still expressing those concerns.
80% of the comments reflect this and most are from the general audience but according to a small few, they should be ignored? Hey if we all ignored things everything would be peachy, right?

That's rather worrying.
You have to ignore the sexists, not give them attention. The moment you give them attention, they win.

That's rather worrying.

Stop assigning a single promotional video on youtube so much importance.

They've just revealed the title of the second episode, as well as the synopsis for the first two episodes

The Woman Who Fell To Earth
"We don't get aliens in Sheffield." In a South Yorkshire city, Ryan Sinclair, Yasmin Khan and Graham O'Brien are about to have their lives changed forever, as a mysterious woman, unable to remember her own name, falls from the night sky. Can they believe a word she says? And can she help solve the strange events taking place across the city?

The Ghost Monument
"Still reeling from their first encounter, can the Doctor and her new friends stay alive long enough, in a hostile alien environment , to solve the mystery of Desolation? And just who are Angstrom and Epzo?"

That's rather worrying.
There's two type of people that are against the female Doctor. Those that don't like it because she's simply a woman and others that are for a female Doctor but have concerns that feminism politics will takeover the show which is silly.

Because men have never benefited from feminist politics. Feminist politics have helped make sure men are no longer drafted to fight in stupid wars, that men can have sex without automatically having children, that police are held to account for unjustly persecuting men of colour or gay men, that men can have more opportunities in professions such as teaching and nursing. Yeah, feminism is always bad.

There are always going to be people who just hate changes for the sake of hating changes. Which is really, really funny when it comes to Doctor Who which is literally always about changes and inconsistency. Nothing about it is static and complaining that suddenly the Doctor is wearing different pants somehow ruins the series is laughable.

For a character that is about exploration of equality, enlightenment, searching for the notion of discovery of what makes us human, it's embarrassing to see such negativity about the idea of a female lead bring about a purpose for young girls (and boys) in the next few years.

I'm sure that young boys in the past have looked up to female characters e.g. Buffy. Honestly I hope Chibnall delivers a solid series and that the 13th Doctor is well written which will shut up some of the naysayers.

I have a feeling that with the exception of a minority of vulgar incel keyboard warriors (who thankfully will statistically be likely to end their lives at their own hands eventually) most males of millennial generation and younger don't care about gender anymore, and don't automatically have a gag reflex when seeing a woman character.

I don't even care about the gender. All I care is that the character is written well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"